Crab Harvesters Convicted for Illegal Harvesting

yammy5

Recreational Crab Harvesters Convicted for Illegal Harvesting of Dungeness Crabs in Two Separate Cases

January 22, 2008

Check out these boneheads.........

Vancouver, B.C. – Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) announced today that two recreational crab harvesters have been convicted of fishing illegally and fined in two separate cases.

Mr. Minh Tai Tieu of Surrey was fined $3,000 in Vancouver provincial court after pleading guilty to catching and retaining undersized Dungeness crabs, exceeding the daily quota for crabs and obstructing a Fishery Officer. The Court also ordered the forfeiture of Mr. Tieu's boat, motor and fishing gear with an approximate value of $1,500.

On April 10, 2006, fishery officers observed Mr. Tieu fishing with recreational crab traps in Burrard Inlet in Burnaby. The observations led officers to believe that he was in possession of a large quantity of unmeasured crabs. His vehicle was searched and fishery officers found a large bag of crabs hidden in the spare tire well of his vehicle and in a sack which he had hidden in a ditch. A total of 37 Dungeness crabs were found, of which 27 were found to be under the legal size limit of 165 millimetres in width. A boat, motor and fishing gear were seized and the crabs were released back into Burrard Inlet.

The $3,000 in fines levied against Mr. Tieu will be used for promoting the conservation and protection of fish or fish habitat. This was Mr. Tieu’s first conviction under the Fisheries Act.

In a separate case, Mr. Mustaj Ali of Surrey was fined $2,400 in Port Coquitlam provincial court for possession of 47 undersized Dungeness crabs.

During the night of February 16, 2007, fishery officers oberved Mr. Ali while he was recreational crab fishing in Burrard Inlet at the fishing dock of Belcarra Regional Park. Fishery officers conducted an inspection of Mr. Ali’s vehicle and found 47 Dungeness crabs, all under the legal size limit of 165 millimetres in width. All of his fishing gear was seized and the crabs were released back into Burrard Inlet.

Recently, in Port Coquitlam provincial court, Mr. Ali appeared and pled guilty to illegal possession of undersized Dungeness crab. This was his first conviction under the Fisheries Act.

Crab must be measured immediately by harvesters after being caught and undersized crab released without delay. DFO has set crab harvesting size restrictions to help ensure that young crab have a chance to populate. The minimum size limit for Dungeness crab is 165 millimetres in width.

DFO acts to end illegal fishing activity. As part of this work, the Department is asking the general public for information on activities of this nature or any contravention of the Fisheries Act and Regulations. Anyone with information can call the toll-free violation reporting line at 1-800-465-4336.

-30-

Good stuff,, just wonder how many don't get caught in that big old ocean...

those fines won't do jack $hit to stop those people...
they will be back out there doing it again in a week.

Well it's a start and it is better than a $250.00 fine.

If I was a DFO officer I would certainly hit Jericho Pier in Vancouver as well. I have personally witnessed crabs being yanked in that were too small and watched guys taking over their limit as they tend to chuck them in a plastic bag and then into a backpack.

It would be a nice change to see gross overfishing crimes get real consequences. If you got caught with a few abalone, there goes your truck, boat, RV, left nut and a huge fine. No one can say that DFO does not have teeth, however, a new "Gross Offence" law would have to be enacted to keep people from falling back on sentencing guidlines from people convicted in the past.

These people are not just an example of some guy who didn't pinch a barb, or some jackass pushing the rules of bag limits or hucking roe into the Cowichan, these are people who are un-licensed commercial fishermen raping the sea of anything that moves.

I can draw a very politically incorrect conclusion about a peculiar pattern on the "Charges and Convictions" web page;

If you observe the vast majority of the crimes having anything to do with "gross overfishing of clams, crabs, or anything that moves that you can catch from shore by a sportie", primarily in the LOWER MAINLAND area, and the ancestry of the perps indicated by their last names, a pattern emerges.

2008 should be just as entertaining as the last few years. The 2007 records are here:

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/archive/charges2007_e.htm

And you can keep up on it as things unfold here:

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/charges_e.htm

It would be nice if the fines would at least cover the cost of the court appointed interpreter. Now if everyone would just stop ordering the crab with black bean sauce......

here is another way to help stop illegal crabin.
Effective January 15, until further notice, it is prohibited to recreational
fish for crabs from one hour after sunset to one hour before sunrise each day
in Subareas 28-6, 28-7, 28-9, 28-11 and that portion of Subarea 28-12 southerly
of a straight line from a point on the eastern shore of Indian Arm at 49
degrees 19.072 minutes North and 122 degrees 55.918 minutes West, on Turtle
Head, to the most northerly point of Hamber Island, thence to the most
northerly point of Grey Rocks Island thence to a point on the western shore of
Indian Arm at 49 degrees 19.024 minutes North and 122 degrees 56.650 minutes
West.

All traps must be hauled and removed from the water prior to one hour after
sunset.

Area 28-8 and 28-10 are closed year round to recreational crab fishing.

quote:I can draw a very politically incorrect conclusion about a peculiar pattern on the "Charges and Convictions" web page;

If you observe the vast majority of the crimes having anything to do with "gross overfishing of clams, crabs, or anything that moves that you can catch from shore by a sportie", primarily in the LOWER MAINLAND area, and the ancestry of the perps indicated by their last names, a pattern emerges.

:D :D :D you mean Raji Fiji Lee Wong ??? uhh ohhh said to much huhhh...

Only if you infer all Asian and peoples other than the given paler versions who predominate in the coastal areas.

AL

quote:Only if you infer all Asian and peoples other than the given paler versions who predominate in the coastal areas.

Come on Alley... if this were the only factor, then why doesn't Vancouver Island have as many crabbing violations? We have LOTS of people living along miles of coastline who are predominantly "pale" and yet we have comparatively few violations. IMHO it has more to do with a lack of respect on behalf of people who were not born here and consequently don't have a vested interest in conservation.

That was meant as tongue in cheek , didn't come out that way though....
in my area and off of Renfrew I can tell you that there are several people with white names if you will , who consistently ignore the regs and cook them immediately they come in and dispose of the shells tout suite!!
Many times you cannot get to a DFO officer in time to check it out and as you are aware the rules of charges and conviction require evidence.
As for the immigrant type names quoted I don't dispute the obvious I only point out the violations are not limited to those persons exclusively.

Cheers

If D.F.O. put together a few people and created a task force to catch these violaters, wouldn't the fines pay the salaries? Even if they were employed part time.

We seem to have problem down here with Asian people they keep everything even from areas that have been contaminated. It is just a cultural thing. Where some of these people come from you better keep everything because that may be all you get to eat. I have had a number of Asian friends offer to purchase the fish I catch which at least down here is a no-no.

It reminds me of a story I read in the newspaper in SF about 15 years ago a couple of new immigrants from Vietnam saw all these ducks at the local park and they did not seem to belong to anyone. So they went back to their apartment got some rope and knives and headed back to the park. By the time anyone noticed they had slaughtered about 20 duck and geese before the authority came to talk to them. Since they where new immigrants they didn't even fine them.

Bat,
If new people to our country are not aware of the laws, then why do they hide the catch? Why do they crab at night? Why do they try to out run us when they lift my traps? They know its wrong.

Brisco

I agree with you it is in there culture I just hope a few big fines will turn them around.

quote:Originally posted by LastChance

It would be a nice change to see gross overfishing crimes get real consequences. If you got caught with a few abalone, there goes your truck, boat, RV, left nut and a huge fine. No one can say that DFO does not have teeth, however, a new "Gross Offence" law would have to be enacted to keep people from falling back on sentencing guidlines from people convicted in the past.

These people are not just an example of some guy who didn't pinch a barb, or some jackass pushing the rules of bag limits or hucking roe into the Cowichan, these are people who are un-licensed commercial fishermen raping the sea of anything that moves.

I can draw a very politically incorrect conclusion about a peculiar pattern on the "Charges and Convictions" web page;

2008 should be just as entertaining as the last few years. The 2007 records are here:

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/archive/charges2007_e.htm

And you can keep up on it as things unfold here:

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/charges_e.htm

I totally agree with your post but...
I'm not denying that this style of poaching needs to be treated much more severely than it is but....any ******* redneck "pushing their baglimits" & "hucking roe in the cowichan" is almost as bad, if not just as bad. There are many people on this Island who feel they have some sort of inherent right to take more than they deserve. I've seen & heard many disturbing things over the years. Just the other day I was in a tackle store and a guy came in looking for steelhead gear. The staff was a little busy so he asked me for some advise. He wanted to know what to use for artificial lures because all he ever used was roe. So I say " oh, so you're either fishing the Stamp below the bucket, sproat/somas, the cowichan below the silverbridge or the Quatse?" He says no "I'm fishing the Zaballos". So of course I tell him that not only is there a bait ban, but it also happens to be closed right now. His reply was "whatever, there's nobody patrolling out there anyways" Does this guy also kill the odd steelhead too??? Who knows.
I showed a guy my crab spot(mistake) only to find out that he routinly takes double his limit when he goes. Apperently he has an obligation to get some for his parents and sister ect...The same guy would brag about all the ling cod he'd go out and kill while it was closed for everyone else.
How about all the barbed hooks with spawsack mesh you find above the bucket on the stamp...
I could go on and on and on....
But, you are right about these particular folks being comercial. Alot if not most of these poachers sell on the black market, a fine is simply a CHEAP cost of doing business. How about turfing a repeat offender out of the country?

I too have witnesses WAY to many people (mostly asian not that I am racist or anything) taking WAY WAY to much. They do almost always try to hide thier catch, which obviously is an indication or admision that they know what they are doing is wrong. Now I must admit, I have been in areas that due to lack of local knowlage, I havn't adheared to the regs 100%, but honest mistakes happen. It is the people who deliberatly set out to rape and pilage our resources knowing that what they are doing is wrong!!!!

I have always been fond of the "public display" method of conviction.Conspicuous posters with mugshots of these violators takes away their relative anonymity and lets everyone</u> know who they are-not just the authorities.
This can also allow the retailers to deny service to a known criminal,because that is what they are- criminals!

If they are knowingly hiding fish or crab they should take there boat and there trucks. That should slow them down.

Back