fishing guide fine

Capt_Ed

Crew Member
hoto: Facebook
Chad James Whiteside was fined $75,000 in fisheries offences from 2019 after pleading guilty on Dec. 7 to five offences
The Provincial Court in Prince Rupert has fined the general manager of Sandspit Adventures $75,000 for five offences in 2019 against the federal Fisheries Act and provincial Fish and Seafood Act.

On Dec. 7, Judge David Patterson ordered that Chad James Whiteside must pay a $45,000 fine by Dec. 31, 2024, for ‘buying, selling, trading, bartering or offering to buy, sell, trade or barter fish not caught and retained under the authority of a licence issued for the purpose of commercial fishing.’ As well, for other counts, he was ordered to pay $20,000 by Dec. 7, 2022, and a further $10,000 by Dec. 7, 2023.

Sandpit Adventures was owned at the time by 1369277 Alberta Ltd., an Alberta company that has been registered in British Columbia as an extraprovincial company. The fishing lodge, located on Haida Gwaii in Sandspit, conducts fishing and eco-tours through Skidegate Inlet to Cartwright Sound.

Whiteside, who was the general manager since 2017, has since purchased the company, in January 2020,

Fishery officers found in 2019 that fish caught by the lodge’s patrons, at their request and sometimes at the direction of staff, were prepared by the kitchen and fed to guests contrary to the Fishery (General) Regulations section 35(2).

Officers further determined, in addition to Sandspit Adventures allowing their guests to eat recreationally caught fish at mealtime, the company did not have a proper labelling and storage system in place, as required by the Fish and Seafood Licencing Regulations, resulting in multiple offences under the Fish and Seafood Act.

Specifically, recreationally caught fish was sometimes not properly labelled with the species of fish, date of processing and the name of the fisher who caught it.

Fishing guides were found to have brought back fish and to have stored them at the lodge for the kitchen’s use at the direction of the owner.

Patterson considered Whiteside’s “moral blameworthiness” to be “middle of the scale” because the judge concluded the man did not set out to break the law, but neither did he attempt to reach out to Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) to ensure Sandspit Adventures’ policies and practices were in keeping with the federal Acts.

“I was horrible with my staff. I didn’t monitor them [or] how they were catching their fish,” Whiteside testified at an Aug. 11 hearing.

“I accept that Mr. Whiteside feels horrible about breaking the law and that Sandspit Adventures did so out of ignorance and Mr. Whiteside’s failure to properly research what he was getting himself into,” Patterson said. “Mr. Whiteside clearly did not know what the actual rules were for operating a fishing and eco-tour business such as Sandspit Adventures. In other words, there was a failure to exercise due diligence.”

“The damage and harm done in this particular case, what the offences committed by Mr. Whiteside did, was enable commercial level supplies to be taken out of the recreational supply and then supplied into the restaurant run by Sandspit Adventures.”

The result of the offences gave Sandspit Adventures a competitive advantage over other fishing lodges in Haida Gwaii, which otherwise would have cost them thousands of dollars spent on purchasing commercial fish, the judge added.

35 (2) is about buying, selling or trading sport caught fish? how is a lodge in contradiction if they are preparing and serving. They dont charge per meal.. maybe i am misunderstanding?? but this is common with all fishing lodges as far as i know.. seafood night!! crab, prawn, hali , salmon, oysters, tuna etc etc !!! i always thought it was frowned upon because of food safety. Sounds ridiculous when its caught fresh , prepared and served by professionals.

That's a pretty big book he got hit with.....been going on for years in that industry. Unfortunately it's 100% illegal to serve paying guests sport caught fish......a real mess. Have to buy commercial fish to serve at the fishing lodge......

This seems rediculus... Honestly with all the actual poaching going on that is doing damage to our resources & this is where they focus enforcement...
Wtf...

This was pulling crab traps and having a crab boil outside. With crabs caught under the customers license. Everyone dose it there. Such bs

They should be going after the pepole who buy/sell illegal fish on Craigslist. Oh wait that would be racist. Easier to go after whitey small business who actually provides to the local economy and gives back to the resource.

Last edited:
Quote:

Specifically, recreationally caught fish was sometimes not properly labelled with the species of fish, date of processing and the name of the fisher who caught it.

Fishing guides were found to have brought back fish and to have stored them at the lodge for the kitchen’s use at the direction of the owner."
I was really close to working as a guide with "The Oak Bay Marine Group" in the Ships off Langara Island, until they told me more or less the same as the quote above. I found it disturbing that if I were to recreationally catch a large spring and then have to leave it in the freezer for some guest who wasn't able to catch a fish, and then claim mine as their own. Needless to say, I quit on the spot. Yet it had been going on for years. Funny, no more Oak Bay Marine Group presences up there anymore.

Not defending DFO C&P and their enforcement strategy & actions. However, from their view - lodges are not going anywhere. They know where they are. Easy pickings. And there is an expectation from management that there will be an average # of infractions handed-out by each C&P officer - or maybe they aren't doing their job as well as the other enforcement staff.

Charter operators - on the other hand - are much harder to catch. Charters can see a boat approaching from a long ways off. Easy to highgrade that way.

Pretty much anyone can declare themselves a business (charter operator) after they pay once for a local guide to take them out with a GPS in their pocket. After that - they are "experts" in finding fish - even if their home base is in Alberta - as is much of their client base.

And the way that mind set works - is if some one is going to pay $ for a charter - they'd better both max out and high-grade the catch offloaded @ the dock. Not claiming all charter operators are the same, neither - but there is considerable pressure from the sometimes shady highliner charter operators in client "satisfaction" when a shady character is maxing out and other legal, legit operators are not. The more remote the operations are - the less eyes are on them on the water. Same problems for remote RCAs.

If DFO actually boarded some of the area F trollers who poach out of season I would be more impressed. Most guys I know up there fish honestly and don't keep anything out of season. There are a few guys who disregard the start dates and boundaries and flagrantly get their allocations early. These guys are in the know when DFO leaves Rupert on patrol and get intel as to where they are and simply go in when they are in the area.
Writing up a lodge for keeping some seafood to cook for guests is BS. Heck, there is more fish that goes to waste in peoples freezers for goodness sakes.

Last edited:
I don’t know if any of us know the full story but it just seems like this was a easy picking for DFO and a way to send out waves through the lodges and Rec sector that they are being watched.

75 G seems like a big price tag to pay for the offenses VS some of the other clear violators that have been posted recently.

Seems more like the punishment fits the violators ability to pay it than the crime to me

35 (2) is about buying, selling or trading sport caught fish? how is a lodge in contradiction if they are preparing and serving. They dont charge per meal.. maybe i am misunderstanding?? but this is common with all fishing lodges as far as i know.. seafood night!! crab, prawn, hali , salmon, oysters, tuna etc etc !!! i always thought it was frowned upon because of food safety. Sounds ridiculous when its caught fresh , prepared and served by professionals.
I believe the distinction here is they used guest caught fish to serve paying guests their meals which are provided in a "commercial" lodge package. It would have been different if the lodge allowed the guests to use a lodge bbq or cook other product such as crab the guest caught and prepared on their own in a crab pot - key distinction is that guest seafood could not be part of meals provided through the lodge as part of their overall lodge package.

Back