Crab Fishing Off Pier In Sidney

Cannonball

For those with previous experience crabbing off the pier at the end of Beacon avenue in Sidney: I have purchased crab traps for a friend of mines family and need to know how much line they need per trap to throw them off the pier and tie to the pier railing. As well, if you have any input on line length for the James Island dock (Sidney side), that would be great.
Thanks all.

Haven't crabbed there personally, but its roughly 20-30 feet deep off the end of the pier and another 20-30 feet from pier to sea level. If you think the traps might be used in deeper water at some point maybe get as much as 100 feet per trap, but 60-75 feet should be plenty for the pier.

I've crabbed off both. 70' for the Beacon Ave pier. 30-40 for the James island pier. I've had much better luck with the hand held folding traps at both piers, and it's more fun. i,VE FOUND THAT IF A TRAP IS LEFT TIED UP AT EITHER PIER IT'S EITHER EMPTIED OR STOLEN BY SOMEONE ELSE! So the folding traps, leave down only for a minute or less, you can feel when there is crab. The folding traps are a better activity if kids are involved as well. You can buy them at the Capital Iron in Sidney for 15-20$.

. The folding traps are a better activity if kids are involved as well. You can buy them at the Capital Iron in Sidney for 15-20$.
That's a really good price. Do they have a lot in stock? I'm not really sure if I want to deal with my wife being pregnant and if I can pick up a couple of decent kids at the Capital Iron that really seems like an easier way to do it.

Wait, are these Chinese imports? I'm trying to stay with made-in-Canada for this.

That's a really good price. Do they have a lot in stock? I'm not really sure if I want to deal with my wife being pregnant and if I can pick up a couple of decent kids at the Capital Iron that really seems like an easier way to do it.

Wait, are these Chinese imports? I'm trying to stay with made-in-Canada for this.
Ha Ha

Back