crab bait ....

Crab Bait & Prawn Bait Stealers ....

Here's a question - if bait stealers are such a nusiunce, why not put bait in a bait canester with many, many small holes and tie it to the top of your trap????

Bait stealers? You talking the 2 legged type or gritters of the deep?

ok, more specifics ....

I mean the smaller crabs with the smaller claws. They have a tendancy to "steal" the bait. So why wouldn't there be a way to only allow the smell of your bait to drift while keeping your bait in a container not allowing any of the crabs to actually eat it.

As you can probably tell, I'm a rookie [:p] , so it may be a very elementary question for most.

Also, when is the best time of year to catch crabs (and i don't mean the kind you catch in your crotch :( )

quote:Originally posted by serenity

ok, more specifics ....

I mean the smaller crabs with the smaller claws. They have a tendancy to "steal" the bait. So why wouldn't there be a way to only allow the smell of your bait to drift while keeping your bait in a container not allowing any of the crabs to actually eat it.

As you can probably tell, I'm a rookie [:p] , so it may be a very elementary question for most.

Also, when is the best time of year to catch crabs (and i don't mean the kind you catch in your crotch :( )

wow, you got a long way to go guy ...

I've had the best luck with bait cages.... Plastic containers will multiple small holes don't seem to do as well (for me).

I like to use salmon heads, but I've heard some people like chicken. Experiment a bit and let us know how you do.

Chicken backs seem to work best for me. Them buggers seem to go nuts for the stuff. Just stick a couple o'them backs per bait cage and come back in a few hours.

Cheers
Vic

I have both drilled plastic tubs and mesh bags rigged into my crab traps. The plastic cups are rigged by suspending the lids from the top of the traps with zip straps while the bags are hung from clipped in hooks.

For short sets (.5-2hrs)I use the bags as they allow more water to circulate around the bait releasing more scent. For longer sets I use both the bags and the tubs as I get both a strong initial scent and a longer lasting one.

For bait I prefer prawn heads or fish heads/guts.

Do a search on crab traps someone posted an excellent link to a crabbing site with lot's of tips and suggestions a few months ago.

Good luck and have fun!

Back