Coyotes....which size?

M

Mortician

Hi.

Just wondering what the best sizes and colours of Coyote Spoons are?

3.5?
4.0?
5.0?
6.0?

Who fishes with what size and which work best where?

Which are better? Coyotes? Gibbs Gypsies?

Help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I have had best luck with 3.5 & 4.0 Coyote's fishing deep for winter springs.
I usually fish bait in the summer, but the larger spoon sizes work well on the offshore banks at that time.

I've had people recommend the 4.0 Size.

I have a couple of 6.0 ones which are kinda large and I want to go fishing with these. I live in Vancouver.

I went on a charter last weekend and the guide told me that 4.0 is the best size.

He says 5.0 and 6.0 need BIG fish. Wondering if I am wasting my time with the 6.0 or should I take them back and exchange them?

Size is often the critical factor, and should match the hatch. In other words early in the season when the bait is small 3.5 and 4.0 are best. As the bait grows through the summer you progress to larger spoons. Colour is important but not nearly as important as size. If you fish off shore where we encounter large bait such as pilchards then you may find yourself using 7 or 8 inch spoons. In the larger spoons I prefer either Road Runners, Titans or Wonderspoon. The other thing you could try is spraying your spoons with WD40 each time you put them down, and at the end of the day I like to clean them up with soap and fresh water to remove any human smell and keep them shining.

Anyone else got tips they want to pass along?

Love my 6.0 in Late August in Ucluelet....caught every one of our fish over 30lbs on them

I slayed with wonderbread from Sooke to Renfrew last year. Goofy butt looking spoon but I think I hit 4-5 fish in the 20-30lb class last season with it.

Fished Bamfield and the sound a couple of times with SeaWolf last year in August. Seven mile was on fire and SeaWolf did very well on large Salmon using a 5.0" Coyote, flourescent green and white I believe.... I probably lost my biggest Salmon ever in July just off of Swale Rock using a 5.0" Coyote, yes, in the Woderbread colour. I swear this fish had to be in the mid 40's however after about 5 minutes fighting him (we did see him a couple of times on the surface) I lost it! :( I guess that is why they call it fishing. SS

Very interesting topic. From what you guys are saying, I think that the small spoons that I use early in the season are much too small for the summer. I have about two dozen 3" spoons but only a few 3.5" and 4". As if I don't have enough stuff already [8D], I think I'll be buying a dozen more spoons in 4" and 5" sizes, especially for Renny in August. So far I see the Wonderbread is on my list for sure. What else should I get? The same stuff I got in the smaller size? Thanks

Has anybody fished the Radiant Devils Tail Spoon (DTS), the Oki Titan or the Tomic TNT spoons. I have a couple of them, but have not used them yet. Are all spoons the same? I grew up fishing Gibbs FST 50/50, Krippled K, Tom Macs etc.

SS

quote:Originally posted by Sitkaspruce

Has anybody fished the Radiant Devils Tail Spoon (DTS), the Oki Titan or the Tomic TNT spoons. I have a couple of them, but have not used them yet. Are all spoons the same? I grew up fishing Gibbs FST 50/50, Krippled K, Tom Macs etc.

SS

I tried the Devil's tale spoons. Too small. We got shakered to death. Tomic TNT work well but are expensive. The Oki Titans are not available locally in the lower mainland. I bought mine from Victoria. I fished with a Pender Harbour Charter last spring and we fished the Gibbs Gators in no. 5 size and we SMACKED the fish real good.

We used the Hammered Army Truck, Green Illusion and my favorite the Punk Skunk (biggest fish). I don't know where to buy these locally in Vancouver?

quote:Originally posted by eaglemaniac

http://www.gibbsfishing.com/products/gator.asp
Punk Skunk looks like a purple haze pattern. Is it glow or UV? eman

Nope. Just regular white paint. The guide who took us in Pender Harbour ran us over Texada Island. That was his top spoon for the winter springs. We had 3 over 20 pounds that trip and 11 keepers over 2 days...IN MARCH.

3.5 spoons for me.
I have tried different sizes but I always seem to go back to 3.5
Nose to fingertip leader length but some times I go up to 6 feet.
I also experiment with how far off the downrigger line I go.
I had great success last year by only putting it back around 12 feet.
I keep records and it gives me a starting point in the hunt. GLG

No idea why but we seem to do better with cop cars and prawn/cop car hootchies in the winter and wonderbreads in the summer. We use all 4.0s. Had an 11 pounder and an 8 pounder within 200' of our float a couple of days ago just before sunset (after spending about $50 in gas trolling all over Mace Point, the back of Savary Island and the Iron Mines). Both took 4.0 cop car coyotes at 120'. We'd already pulled up the deep line, and were just running up to the float to call it a day, when we picked up the first fish so we put the gear back out and ran around shallow for another 10 minutes and picked up the second one before the sun set. Morale of the story - ALWAYS fish ALL the way into the float :D

I like the coyotes with the extra little silver willow leaf by the hook. Next experiment on the list is stick on eyes. Going to try fishing side by side cop cars at the same depth with an eye on one and see if there is any noticeable effect.

Again for those new to the board change the hooks on your coyotes before you fish them. Do a search on "Coyote" and "hook" for lot's of sad tails of lost fish for why you should.....

I don't sort them, I just shoot every one I can.:D:D:D Yeah, I know I just couldn't resist. I would guess that the 4.0 is the most popular. I have heard more than once that size matters though. Big Bait might equal Big Fish. If they were all hitting 4.0 I might leave a rod out with a bigger spoon just in case. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by KoneZone

I don't sort them, I just shoot every one I can.:D:D:D Yeah, I know I just couldn't resist. I would guess that the 4.0 is the most popular. I have heard more than once that size matters though. Big Bait might equal Big Fish. If they were all hitting 4.0 I might leave a rod out with a bigger spoon just in case. [8D]

I just went to buy some Coyotes and took back my 6.0 size.

These new ones look like CRAP. I went to Berry's Bait and Tackle in Richmond and the Army Truck and Glow/Flo and Kermit look like nothing I remember. The salesman sold me on Tomics in similar colors. Hope they work.

So after reading this post, I was out today and fished a Copcar 4.0 and a Purple haze hootchie. After a couple of cod on the hootchie, I switched the Copcar to a Wonderbread 3.5 and hooked a couple of springs right away. The wonderbread was the ticket today. Tons of feed around, but all of it was right on top in about 135' of water. It was all small 3-4" herring and a ton of birds, but no fish up that high. Must have been sea birds that caused the ball ups.

Back