Cowichan River

I was told the inner gates have a different lock on them and they won't be changed to the ones that match our keys until sometime in early to mid January. Something about safety, as if they could know what the river height would be in mid January.
Drifting rivers has some inherent danger no matter what the water level. Unfortunately people have been finding that out the hard way on the Cowichan for many years.
Yeah the Cowichan isn’t the easiest River I’ve ever drifted

I checked my key at Sandy the other day and all good. The launch how ever was closed for repairs as the CRD was stabilizing the bank. Vimy has a new key and there is a tree across the ramp. Needs some gravel dumped as a lot washed away as usual. I didn't check my key at Stoltz but sounds like its all good ?

I checked my key at Sandy the other day and all good. The launch how ever was closed for repairs as the CRD was stabilizing the bank. Vimy has a new key and there is a tree across the ramp. Needs some gravel dumped as a lot washed away as usual. I didn't check my key at Stoltz but sounds like its all good ?
I have never seen vimmy locked before was it the top gate or the launch gate

Last few years it’s not uncommon for the lower launch gate by the river at vimy to be locked I just make an assumption it’s because of high water.

I was down there the other day last week and it was locked I meant to ask about it on here something is up do you need to acquire a key now?

Drifted from Stoltz to Sandy today. Gate keys worked fine. Water conditions were good, pressure was light. We managed to get in front of a couple of other boats so we fished many places first. The float never moved all day. Hard to imagine that we could find NOTHING in all the places we fished at this time of year.
Their has been quite a bit of activity in the upper river.

Drifted from Stoltz to Sandy today. Gate keys worked fine. Water conditions were good, pressure was light. We managed to get in front of a couple of other boats so we fished many places first. The float never moved all day. Hard to imagine that we could find NOTHING in all the places we fished at this time of year.
Their has been quite a bit of activity in the upper river.
Just like the Stamp this year. Steelhead are the canaries in the coal mine

slow today one small trout talked to a few guys fishing they said it was slow for them as well. Was nice to get out for a hike anyway. Quite a few boats drifting the river today, nice to see lots of C.Os out they checked us for licenses ect. Might go chuck a fly tomorrow morning for the hell of it.

slow today one small trout talked to a few guys fishing they said it was slow for them as well. Was nice to get out for a hike anyway. Quite a few boats drifting the river today, nice to see lots of C.Os out they checked us for licenses ect. Might go chuck a fly tomorrow morning for the hell of it.
Was very nice but slow managed to get this one and a nice walk in

Attachments

• 20220205_082748.jpg
    20220205_082748.jpg
    464.4 KB · Views: 40
I agree. I know I am dating myself but those small steelies were common in late March and into April, not in the early part of February. Maybe the small fish are the ones that get through any nets that may be in the river?

Back