Cowichan River

I think we're in for a full season of high water. Rain forecast for every day at this point and it'll take a week of dry weather for it to come down.

Very few spots are fishable hopefully it comes down over the next few weeks. Fish are about though.

Attachments

• 6502B15D-7F16-4E2B-995B-48F0D13FA6C7.jpeg
    6502B15D-7F16-4E2B-995B-48F0D13FA6C7.jpeg
    736.1 KB · Views: 147
I'm waiting for lower flow rate to float it, I fly fish but my uncle wants to join me.
He wants to spincast, any recommendations on tackle?

I'm curious, has anyone actually tried to fish the raging Cowichan torrent this season? I certainly haven't and don't plan to. The fish I caught in a different system over the weekend were all VERY beat up from the high water and debris. I'm assuming it would be best to leave the fish alone for the rest of the season.

I haven't, but a buddy when't out about a week or so ago, for a look. The only thing he said was, there where dead Coho
everywhere.

I fished a few sections in the lower last weekend that would normally be full of coho and chum and the river was completely dead not a single fish jumping or swimming or even any dead fish to be seen

Ouch. Yeah, I think the extreme flow this fall has made things difficult for the fish to move up and not out into otherwise landlocked water, not to mention successfully spawn. The resiliency of the salmon is certainly being tested this year.

Fish were able to access the river early at least at the end of September. There was lots of fish present before the water came up 10 days ago and the chum were starting to stack but since there has been very little visible activity but below stoltz the river is grey so it’s pretty hard to see anything.

I fished and caught some trout in the fly only section on Monday but there was literally only a couple spots I could fish effectively and the footpath below big bend is completely gone so I didn’t get very far. I did see some zombie coho where the water was slower and clear.

Anybody drifted from Stoltz to Sandy or Stoltz to Vimy yet? I heard from a buddy that the gates were going to be closed til some time in January. Was wondering if anybody else heard something similar?

Anybody drifted from Stoltz to Sandy or Stoltz to Vimy yet? I heard from a buddy that the gates were going to be closed til some time in January. Was wondering if anybody else heard something similar?
Gate at stoltz was open on Sunday I didn’t see anyone drifting but the river was sure busy with people fishing

I was told the inner gates have a different lock on them and they won't be changed to the ones that match our keys until sometime in early to mid January. Something about safety, as if they could know what the river height would be in mid January.
Drifting rivers has some inherent danger no matter what the water level. Unfortunately people have been finding that out the hard way on the Cowichan for many years.

I was just at stoltz fishing this morning and there was a decent amount of truck tire tracks in the snow at the launch so unless those people have a better key than the rest of us it appears to be business as usual

Back