Constructive comments as to Alpine Derby

Guest2015

Dear Rollie and Chris:

I would like to thank the two of you for all the work you put into the derby this past week-end, I'm sure you must be exhausted today.
I have some observations as it relates to the derby. I feel I need to share:
First: I felt the entire prize procedure lacked transparency. The buzz around the tables was that the organizing committee and the old guard won far too many prizes and frankly that appeared to be the case.
Who drew the tickets? When and where was it done and where was the transparency as to what each drawn ticket won? Half the fun in going to a derby is being part of the draws. A computer screen adds confusion and congestion. Again Transparency!!
Where is the accountability to the sponsors? Don't they wonder? There were several comments floating around the room expressing dissatisfaction in the process and this will be heard by the sponsors as people were vocal.
Second: the meal was very poor. I paid for my ticket for the meal. $15.00 really? I don't have a problem paying that or more but please a decent meal is a must. Hamburgers and hot dogs would have been plenty. Where was a simple dessert? A simple snack of pretzels or nuts on each table would have kept people occupied and happy for the long and boring wait for presentation. An unnecessary wait!
Third: the presentation itself was poor, the PA system was terrible. We simply could not hear what you were saying. It was also very loud and annoying on the ears. We totally did not get the appreciation presentations.
Fourth: why is it that there were people who did not catch a fish and yet got a prize and but others (like my husband who caught a 12.5 lb salmon) got nothing? Plus we noticed there were some that got more than one prize. Transparency!!!
Fifth: the raffle for the tables was lame and a waste of time. Why not have table numbers and do a silent draw. You would still generate revenue without the confusion of having to silence the crowd and delay the meal.
Sixth: there appeared to be no real encouragement for younger fisherman. A reduced entrance rate to attract the young would ensure that the future of this derby and others would be cast. A simple look around the room told me and others that this derby does not encourage the young fishers. Like the Salmon enhancement program our future also lies with the young. It was further noted that when Zack Witherall won once again, a lot of comments could be heard that he had won before and that his Grandfather was one of the main organizers in the tournament!!! Transparency!!!!
Finally: my own experience was not good from the get go. I bought a ticket for my husband on line and never got the ticket in the mail as promised. He went to the last presentation as we had waited for the ticket and was treated terrible because he could not produce a ticket and they refused to accept my receipt.
I appreciate that in speaking to the two of you this was cleared up the day before the tournament and I thank-you for that.
We came from the mainland to this tournament and participated with our daughter and son-in-law. We could not afford $200 for each of our Grandchildren thus this was not a family affair. Never mind $15 for banquet tickets for 3 of them. Is this tournament only for the rich or is everyone encouraged to participate? Our kids are a young working family and we are retired with a decent pension but found it pricey for the extras. We have participated in many Derbys in our time and frankly found the nepotism in this one very offensive. I feel you will find this will be reflected in your upcoming Derbys particularly to young people and those ( like us) who have travelled to attend. I can attest to this simply by having listened to the buzz in the hall. Be reminded that this was our first participation in your derby yet all of these points are based on the buzz in the room plus our own observations.

I don't believe in being critical unless one is prepared to step-up and if asked I would be prepared to do that. I am told the two of you are fresh blood in the organization and I am hopeful you will make some positive changes.

Respectfully submitted,

Guest2015,
Thank you for posting this. I totally agree with your observations and suggestions. Although this derby is a very good one, it has the potential to be the best one around. This 'old boys club" of doing things must change in order for this to happen. I think the focus on transparency and promoting and encouraging our youth is key. I too noticed the age of most people in the room. At this rate, who will be there in 10 years? 20 years????
I can appreciate that running a derby as such is a labour of love and quite taxing as the countless hours of work it must take. However, as in anything done right and fair. People have a tendency to become more involved knowing its for the good of all. Again, this isn't a 'bash', it's simply another person that wants this to be not only a good derby but the best derby.

1. All the fish prize draws were recorded on video as they were drawn, this year and last year. Why, because the old JDF derby had the same thing being said about their derby. And it is lame. Really!!! Draws are draws, the only consistent thing with them is if you don't catch a fish and get a ticket it is 100% that you won't win something. My own personal experience with the old JDF Dreby. John Wells and myself both donated charter trips to the derby...me a salmon trip in Sooke and him a halibut trip in Port Renfrew. One year (I missed the banquet) he wins my trip and calls me to say don't worry I'm not going to cash it in...we have a laugh. The very next year I'm at the banquet and I win his trip. I tell him don't worry I'm not going to cash it in...we laugh. Then I'm on stage as a director of the Pink Salmon Festival to do the raffle draws and we are giving away a $1000 rod and reel donated by Island Outfitters. The winning ticket is handed to me and the winner is Darren Wright, co-owner of Island Outfitters. Darren told us to live auction it off.
The draw tickets arrived at the rink just before 1pm from Pedder Bay, they can't leave for the arena to be drawn until the last fish is entered!!!! We had 2 ladies and a gentleman helping plus myself. I helped for as long as I could before being pulled away to look after other affairs. The gentleman was there to take the ticket data and transfer it to the digital powerpoint presentation. There were 156 fish draw tickets to get done and entered!!! That is why the screen never got fired up until half way through the meal.
We were aware the sound was poor but you have to work with what is provided. The building is a big hard wall high ceiling box and without a professional sound crew who would know the tricks to reduce much of the echo, we had to work with what was there. We ordered extra speakers in an effort to even out the sound. They were late arriving because the store we rented them from didn't have them ready when our volunteer went to pick them up the morning of the banquet. They dropped the ball and caused us another last minute headache.
Some people won more than one prize because they had more fish draw tickets in the draw box. If you only caught one fish your chances are 1/4 as good as someone who caught and entered 4 fish. We gave a few lower value prizes for simply buying a ticket because more than a few people bought tickets and did not or could not fish the derby. They supported our efforts of restoring the Sooke River Chinook run and we wanted to thank them.
Again any suggestion that because a Wetherell ticket won a prize that it was somehow bogus, quite frankly is insulting. As a first time participant I don't take offence with you as you are only taking in what is being said around you. Those others should be ashamed of themselves and if they truly believe what they say, please don't buy a ticket.
I will add more response tomorrow but it is late and I have to fish early tomorrow and I haven't had a chance to recover yet as I was up early this morning too.

Thanks for the reply and providing some good background information and facts to counter these insinuations Rollie. Constructive comments are one thing but factless opinions and baseless and hasty judgements bordering on accusations for people trying to do a good thing for the community is quite another. I challenge anyone who questions the veracity of this event to volunteer time to help out and see for yourself all the hard work done by a group of people with good intentions and integrity!

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening Guest2015. It's a shame I don't know your name, but allow me to tell you mine. My name is Leigh Garrod, and I was the gentleman Rollie mentioned above. I was one of three volunteers that were involved in pulling tickets, which is all on video as noted above. This was done on a very tight timeline, as we first did the draw, wrote the ticket number and name on paper and stapled the tickets to each page in support of the draw (hard copy proof), and then I sat down with a computer and entered all of those names and numbers onto the powerpoint presentation for display. The bucket of tickets (one for every fish caught) was shaken well in advance, and re-shaken frequently. As the tickets came out, there were a few for some who won more than one prize (including the surprise that one name was pulled twice in a row). But as we noted, it was completely random and if you had more tickets in that draw, the odds were in your favour.

If you want further evidence, I actually had one ticket in my name (I caught one) and another for my fishing partner in the draw, but neither of our tickets were pulled. My fishing partner also came over from Vancouver for the derby and to celebrate fathers day with our family. We too walked away without a prize.

Furthermore, let me assure you that I am not part of the old-boys club. I am relatively young in my mid-thirties, two small kids at home, and I knew all of 3 people at the event, none well. I sat and stood alone at the meal (my family was out celebrating Father's Day with our visitors from Vancouver). I do not know anyone from the old guard, having only started boating and fishing in the last 4 years and not being engaged in derbies at all. I fish mostly with my family. I only recently offered my assistance to the SVIAC, in a very minor way compared to the many hours that others contribute. But your suggestions, which are very unfair in my opinion, have resulted in me offering my services in a bigger way for next year. There is no doubt that additional assistance is required. But for a young derby, with the huge number of amazing sponsors and prizes, was in my mind top notch. Yes some improvements to be made, but there always are.

There is one point you make that I do agree with, which is that we need to get more youth out. This is an important goal for all sports fishermen in my mind, and something to that end should be considered.

As Rollie's footer says above, people need to get involved or accept that there will be no fishing, or derbies, in the future.

I would like to thank the individuals who walked off with the $450 Coleman cooler that was to be awarded to the Banana Challenge winner once we were sure that all emailed photos were in our possession. It was clearly labelled as the Banana Challenge winner prize. I will be calling the arena later today and ask that they share any video camera footage inside the building and out in the parking lot. With a group of fishermen who know each other to some degree we should be able to identify who they are. They would have had to have a vehicle outside to load the cooler into so it might be as easy as a license plate number. If anyone witnessed someone picking up the large cooler that was out on the far left of the stage close to the Zodiac please let me know.

Hmm. Both are first posts. And they have the same IP address, which is also shared with a user who has made several other posts on the forum since January.

Why someone would create two more user acounts to stir the pot instead of posting under their regular user name? Yes you know who you are.

And shame on who boosted the Bananna cooler.

Who'd listen to someone bitching about paying $15 for a dinner? I wasn't at the event but know volunteering takes a lot of personal effort. I don't know Rollie, but, thanks for what you do. You can't please everyone.

Stern Look and Guest2015, your use of the word transparency is quite something and yet you you don't even post under your own name. Quite hypocritical if you as me. You have pointed out some good suggestions that could be improved on for next year and others you have pulled out of thin air and have been very quickly squashed by Rollie and Adler in a show of.......transparency!

With so much to say on how to improve things, one can only assume that you are volunteering for next year. I would hope you two would bring a better attitude than displayed here.

Also, Guest2015, your husband, as am I and my fishing partner, is lucky that the format for prizes was not all based on weight....because a 12.5lb spring must have been about 60th or 70th place. With the format that was done, he still had a chance of getting his name drawn. The key word is 'chance'; it's a random draw.

Hmm. Both are first posts. And they have the same IP address, which is also shared with a user who has made several other posts on the forum since January.

Why someone would create two more user acounts to stir the pot instead of posting under their regular user name? Yes you know who you are.

And shame on who boosted the Bananna cooler.

First post was by Bloodbuggy and was deleted. I think all three are the same person on the other post. After deletion this post was started.

Good cause, hard work, lot's of good volunteer's, great prizes and lastly....
bitching and complaining.
All very typical of a large function where a diverse group comes together.
When you enter a derby, anybody has a chance to win.
Don't like your odds ? don't enter the contest.

thoughts for Rollie....with the size this has got, you can't do it well with the limited crew you have - even ours that runs 250-300 people, we are overworked with 4-5 of key volunteers doing basically all of the work. I think realistically, as you do have a big budget, you may need to hire 4 or 5 additional 'staff' to at least operate the day prior and day of. In the grand scheme, $500 isn't make or break if it means running smooth. Volunteers are always out there, but you and me both know that 'dedicated' volunteers are needle in a haystack.

You will also need help in the rest of it - you can't continue doing the work of 5 throughout the year without burning out quick - an email blast to request people willing to put in 30 hours of volunteer time over several months may be worthwhile - and if no takers, you could even offer a free ticket for next year for 3 or 4 volunteers on same commitment??

Just food for thought.

I was going to close this thread when I first saw it pop up yesterday but decided to let it stay as I was hoping for what has resulted. I try to stay neutral in these debates because it is necessary to remain balanced when these "hot topics" arise. However, I am not going to sit this one out as it hits close to home and it's my time to rant.
I left this thread in place because I was hoping for a measured response from a few members before closing it and it is a classic example of the kind of negative comment and personal accusation/attack that can easily divide our community. Rollie, your response was not only thoughtful but you refrained from making it personal and turning it into a fight at a time when I am sure you are exhausted and your patience and tolerance levels would be at an all time low, given your time commitment over the past few days. I want to thank you for your contributions to the fishing community at large for ALL your volunteer time and your positive contribution to this forum over the years. Your response to this should be used as an example of how to respond to contentious comments without turning it into a fight of major proportions. You and Chris, and the many volunteers who have pushed this event to where you have in 3 short years is amazing, and no amount of recognition from those of us on the sidelines could ever be enough. Who would have thought that a simple comment, that we should have a derby for SFBC members that became the Banana Cup, would turn into the amazing fundraiser that this event is, in such a short time.
Adler (Leigh), great comments as well and good on you for stepping up to the plate and offering to take on an even bigger role in the future. You do represent the next wave of anglers that will continue to support Salmon enhancement in years to come and your reasoned and thoughtful response is exactly what is needed to get things done, instead of sitting on the sidelines and complaining about what is "wrong" with our fisheries. I hope many more people follow your lead and let their actions speak louder than words.
In this thread and the Alpine Derby thread, many members have voiced their support for the efforts of all the volunteers that contributed to make this event the best it could be this year. This was what I expected would happen and, by the looks of the comments, more volunteers may come forward because of a thread like this. I hope those of you considering stepping up will follow through. The "few" hours you can offer are a few less hours for the already taxed group that are currently involved.
My last comment is purely personal. I have been in the shoes of the volunteers who are accused of nepotism and have heard it all. There is always talk of "we need younger people to get involved" or "good members have left this forum" floating around. Well, when accusations of what amounts to dishonesty and cheating are made in a public way on the internet, the result is not a positive one. Good volunteers quit out of frustration and new people see the comments and often say "why would I expose myself to that kind of treatment." As to the the "old boys club" comment, all I can say is that if it weren't for a few "old boys" stepping up all over our Province, zero dollars would be raised and nothing would be accomplished in the area of fisheries enhancement, so I say good on ya and hope more people join your "club"!
While it is true a few members have chosen to step away from posting here, our numbers continue to grow and new contributors show up on a regular basis. Some of our older members have even started to re-engage. We welcome all of them and hope that, as a community of fishing people, we treat the new generation coming on board and those who share their wealth of experience, in a respectful way. We will continue to do our part to keep it that way.
Rant over. Thanks for listening and, as always, your comments are welcome via PM or email info@sportfishingbc.com.

Brian

I can only assume that those who are bitching and moaning will be the first in line to volunteer for next years event. This would give them the chance to be part of the solution!!!

I wasn't go say anything but have too..

I know exactly what happens, and if anything listen to what Deewar25. Oh he knows!!! We all know what happens with volunteers they are hard to get. We run one, and things screw up etc. You have no idea some of things that have happened at these events LOL. I already voiced my opinions through different channels and it was purely constructive. A lot of my friends were helping out for event behind the scenes. I know Chris73 worked hard at that scale with C.Boss and others for two days to make it run smoothly...

If I can say anything it for me on a personal level its with the children. Because the event has turned from the original format of the banana derby ( I was there at first one) the kids and families have dwindled. It is fathers day and having my son with me is why I did this and to support this Chinook initiative. You know how many guys I knew that didn't bring there kids? tons! That is not only the derby's fault.

With this event I had wished they could be combined. I really know they tried this year. I propose the committee looks at kid price or initiative to bring more kids in. I think the comments are very correct. This sport is dieing with the youth. That is the generation we need to push and channel our SVIAC message with, and continue our tradition. You look at the age of most there.....How can we have this event in future if we can't get that generation into this?

And Brian you know if you close this thread none of these people will ever send those mails to the committee.I think it helps them out next year. Even the first post on this deserves to be heard not slammed. If it helps next year I am all for it.. These comments are not only coming from a participant but also a sponsor.

I will always help with these events were I can. We need to generate funds for enhancement... As far success of derby well this guy had a good time.... 20150622_192223.jpg20150621_123854.jpg

Nobody who has never been part of a fishing derby committee would ever figure how much work and thought actually has to go into something seemingly so simple. The few leaders of the 2015 Alpine JDF pulled off a miracle in my eyes.

TRANSPARENCY! ... as the organizers of the derby have been totally transparent about the absolute fairness of the awarding of fish and general draws in the derby, it should be balanced with two way transparency of this "I want anonymity" poster who refers to transparency numerous times. This email copied below (which looks remarkably similar to the post above) was forwarded to me yesterday at11.16 am. Apparently, unable to wait for a private reply off forum, the choice of this poster, whose name is Jill Hummerstone (nee Tomson?) was to publicly criticize and cast unfounded aspersions upon the event and the organizers. To me, this is very close to libel and very insulting.

Jill, thank you for emailing your comments, I am very sorry you chose to post on this forum as well. Several have already weighed into reply on the main points, so you will not receive a direct reply to your original email, but all of us now know who you are. Let me assure you constructive criticism is always taken well and used to craft future improvement. However, making serious and baseless allegations from an uninformed place and airing them publicly is foolish. You should very seriously consider apologizing publicly as these allegations of wrong doing bythe event organizers, besides being extremely insulting to the individuals themselves, is an attack on their character and reputations.

This is the email with identical wording (except the name and email address wasleft out)... the email address used was
Jill Tomson (jillhummer@icloud.com)

DearRollie and Chris:

Iwould like to thank the two of you for all the work you put into the derby thispast week-end, I'm sure you must be exhausted today.
Ihave some observations as it relates to the derby. I feel I need toshare:
First:I felt the entire prize procedure lacked transparency. The buzz aroundthe tables was that the organizing committee and the old guard won far too manyprizes and frankly that appeared to be the case.
Whodrew the tickets? When and where was it done and where was the transparency asto what each drawn ticket won? Half the fun in going to a derby is beingpart of the draws. A computer screen adds confusion and congestion. Again Transparency!!
Whereis the accountability to the sponsors? Don't they wonder? There were severalcomments floating around the room expressing dissatisfaction in the process andthis will be heard by the sponsors as people were vocal.
Second: the meal was very poor. I paid for my ticket for the meal. $15.00really? I don't have a problem paying that or more but please a decentmeal is a must. Hamburgers and hot dogs would have been plenty. Where was a simple dessert? A simple snack of pretzels or nuts on eachtable would have kept people occupied and happy for the long and boring waitfor presentation. An unnecessary wait!
Third: the presentation itself was poor, the PA system was terrible. We simplycould not hear what you were saying. It was also very loud and annoyingon the ears. We totally did not get the appreciation presentations.
Fourth: why is it that there were people who did not catch a fish and yet got a prizeand but others (like my husband who caught a 12.5 lb salmon) got nothing? Plus we noticed there were some that got more than one prize. Transparency!!!
Fifth: the raffle for the tables was lame and a waste of time. Why not havetable numbers and do a silent draw. You would still generate revenuewithout the confusion of having to silence the crowd and delay the meal.
Sixth:there appeared to be no real encouragement for younger fisherman. Areduced entrance rate to attract the young would ensure that the future of thisderby and others would be cast. A simple look around the room told me andothers that this derby does not encourage the young fishers. Like theSalmon enhancement program our future also lies with the young. It wasfurther noted that when Zack Witherall won once again, a lot of comments couldbe heard that he had won before and that his Grandfather was one of the mainorganizers in the tournament!!! Transparency!!!!
Finally: my own experience was not good from the get go. I bought a ticket for myhusband on line and never got the ticket in the mail as promised. He went tothe last presentation as we had waited for the ticket and was treated terriblebecause he could not produce a ticket and they refused to accept myreceipt.
Iappreciate that in speaking to the two of you this was cleared up the daybefore the tournament and I thank-you for that.
Wecame from the mainland to this tournament and participated with our daughterand son-in-law. We could not afford $200 for each of our Grandchildrenthus this was not a family affair. Never mind $15 for banquet tickets for3 of them. Is this tournament only for the rich or is everyone encouragedto participate? Our kids are a young working family and we are retiredwith a decent pension but found it pricey for the extras. We haveparticipated in many Derbys in our time and frankly found the nepotism in thisone very offensive. I feel you will find this will be reflected in yourupcoming Derbys particularly to young people and those ( like us) who havetravelled to attend. I can attest to this simply by having listened tothe buzz in the hall. Be reminded that this was our first participationin your derby yet all of these points are based on the buzz in the room plusour own observations.

Idon't believe in being critical unless one is prepared to step-up and if askedI would be prepared to do that. I am told the two of you are fresh bloodin the organization and I am hopeful you will make some positive changes.

Respectfullysubmitted,

Jill Hummerstone
hummer1@shaw.ca

Sentfrom Jill's iPad

<o:p></o

Chris/Rollie

From one Derby President to another I would like to say you and the crew have done well. There are always things to improve upon and we just have to filter the good from the bad, take criticisms in stride and not take them personally. When feedback is offered say thank you and file it appropriately; leave it at that, no battles. Do your best to learn from the past to make the future better.

We do this because its our way of giving back to the community and generally trying to make the world a better place with no thought of personal gain. Kudos to both of you and the entire Crew for donating your time and energy to giving back to the community and environment that supports us.

Congratulations on your successes!
Carl
Consultants Derby President

Back