Condensation on inside of windshield

Baxter

Getting the boat ready in the morning involves wiping down the inside of the windshield. The condensation is bad. Even by the time I get to the water, the walk through has to be open to see where I am going.

Anyone find a solution to this? A product to apply? Or?

Keep in mind this is on the boat in my profile pic. Not an enclosed cabin. Even with the drop curtain on running a heater makes no sense really.
Is there even a solution to this problem?

I leave my canvas drop curtains down with a heater running all winter long. no condensation. just one of those 750 watt electric heaters. i just went in there today to grab some latex gloves and it was toasty warm in there.
some people use rain x on the exterior and i keep a small squeegee on board from about Sept onward

With an open cabin seems weird running a heater knowing it will all just escape out the back of the boat. Was hoping that there was a product that applies like rainex or something.
Heat does escape, I run a heater and two fans, curtain open, works for me. Once the fog is gone I shut the heater off

i do aquapel. accept no substitutes. takes care of all that real quick and stays good for a couple of months.
use 2 cartridges, one on the outside and one on the inside of the glass. there are also yellow cans of anti ice spray available at canadian tire for all the stuff which ices over. works great. the rainx stuff is worthless.

Rain x has a “anti fog” product I tried and it sucks. My next move will be one of those suction mount defrosters that plug into a cigarette lighter socket. They work great.

https://www.fisheriessupply.com/caframo-mini-electric-ceramic-heater-defroster-9303

These are what I have, (x2 to cover both front windows) except they have the suction cup and plug removed and are hard mounted and wired to fuses and switches at the main helm station. They also can pivot on the mount so that you can change the warm air flow direction. They were on the boat when I bought it and they do wear/burn out if the fan quits. In about 10 years I have replaced each of them once a couple of years back.

x4 on the squeegee, especially for the cabin side windows.

Last edited:
The sales pitch on the winter-style boat heaters says that maintaining a slightly warmer temp on the inside versus the outside will prevent moisture condensation on the inside.
I firmly believe this temp difference to be the root cause. Kinda JUST LIKE a car; rags/squeegee/ or a big-butt enclosed cabin with a big-butt source of heat & moving air.

I found that clean windows fog less.
I am all Big Fat Greek Wedding with the Windex on board.
The california t-bar squeegee is gold. Ten plus years on my boats and trucks and still killing it.
Then fans, as mentioned, one per window.
So really, all I got to add here is Windex.

Back