Comox Valley Herring 2014

Fish Assassin

Crew Member
Been hitting them hard the last few days off of Lazo. The fishery has been great. The commercial fleet left yesterday mid day moving south finally.

Got my bait for the year :)

Just jigging them..... Got about 18 dozen today in a little over an hour. I already have all I need for the year so now I am just giving them away to other local forum members that can't make it out.

Herring fishing is so much fun for all ages. Get out there and give it a try.

It makes great bait for so many fisheries, and for the price you can't go wrong.

Nice looking fish - thanks for sharing.

Did your gal catch that tyee on one of your herring? Saw the pic that was posted here in the island fisherman.

Got 100 yesterday off Point Holmes... that will do me for the year. Took a newbie (for this area) out today and watched CANFISCO call in a small number of gillnetters to net off St John Point outside of Tribune Bay. Tribune Bay was PACKED with herring. The sounder was blanking out. My newbie had a ball just dropping a jig into the pack and seeing all the hooks load up in about 15 seconds!

Bottom of Lambert Channel had gillnets working all day too.

from what I saw-- I dont think the commercial harvest made a dent in the spawning population

And you can toughen them up by putting a palm full of rock salt in the bag before you freeze them

I put them in a pail with a small amount of sea water in it. After you have a few there is no more oxygen so they die really quick without losing their scales. I bring them home and bag them in 12's and freeze.

Cool. Do you put them on a tray or anything? Or just toss in a ziploc and seal? How do you keep them from sticking together, or does that not matter?

Got out with Big Bruce.... :) He has pictures of the screen as to what we were siting over top of. Maybe he will post later or forward them to me.

Back