commericla at tent island??

islander55

hey guys i was out prawnning near tent island today and i seen two commercial trollers with there tqwo big tall booms out. are they aloud to fish this close to the inside , or are they even commercial fishin?? they were trolling the wall at tent all day today,?

Both the Fish Cops and DFO Prawn Management have asked that this kind of fishing be reported...just back from a Prawn Multisectoral meeting ( all day) and we need to reinforce the kind of fishing we see going on....report , report, until they are tired of hearing about it!

Traveller

as long as you have a sport fishing license and follow the rulestheres no law about the type of boat

Call the fish cops!

Yes for sure , call the SWAT teams , as i,m sure they were risking losing their 3-400 thousand dollar boats and lics. by illegal fishing !!!!
and for sure the holds were FULL of illegal halibut and intercepting big red Chinooks destined to a protected river.
They are always doing that , and its time we get united and do something about these commies !!!!

Yes for sure , call the SWAT teams , as i,m sure they were risking losing their 3-400 thousand dollar boats and lics. by illegal fishing !!!!
and for sure the holds were FULL of illegal halibut and intercepting big red Chinooks destined to a protected river.
They are always doing that , and its time we get united and do something about these commies !!!!

Well, i'm glad that you agree with me then!! ;)

If in doubt we should always file a report. Sometimes brazen criminal activity happens in plain sight. If they are not doing anything illegal then no harm done......correct, Capt Crook?

I can't imagine there are enough fish @ tent to make it worthwhile for two commercial boats to fish there all day and poach. Is the fishing there really that good?

and its time we get united and do something about these commies !!!!

"Commie" to a commercial fisherman is a slur Captain. You should know that.

were they using rods? and did you see white or blue foam rectangles dragging upright in the water 40+ feet behind the boats?

old commercial boats have been trolling recreational gear at tent for as long as ive been fishing there. they take up lots of room and its a pain at times but not illegal when they're running scottys and rods

exactly. Im pretty sure they are allowed to use their regular gurdies instead of downriggers too aren't they? just as long as theyre using rods. I could be wrong on that one...the most obvious thing if they were fishing commercially would be the styro pigs dragging behind the boat.

I've fished a few times off an old commercial troller using gurnies along with rods and clips. As long as you have barbless hooks and a rec license your good. Follow the regs too.

Bit trickier than downriggers but fun in a novelty kinda way.

Draggers are out in that area all the time. There's also three native sporty boats with gurdies running meat lines off the side. surprised many prawns are left after the last 3 months of native commercial fishing.

Back