commercial prawning opening

Does anyone know when the commies are starting their prawning season. i know its normally around may 1st.
thanks
gorillaboy

works out for everyone closing the sportfishing for a few days while the commercial gear is set. nobody wants their gear set on top of by a string of 50 traps. just avoids problems for all parties.

EXACTLY we all have to share the water im sure you can get them way before and after lack of planning on a rec person part doesn't constitute an emergency. this way we all play nice and avoid each others traps

I think the commie prawners used to fish all year until recently. Now they get a month and they hit it hard. So hard that I just find it isn't worth going. Amazingly a month after they are done, the prawning picks up where it left off for us sportiest. Fine by me if they close it for us for a short while. They don't close it here but I won't fish because I know better. Not worth the while. I don't prawn much anyways.

works out for everyone closing the sportfishing for a few days while the commercial gear is set. nobody wants their gear set on top of by a string of 50 traps. just avoids problems for all parties.
Are we assuming that's the only time the commercial boats will fish those areas? A week seems like a short opening? Seems to me they fished the Inlet for more than a week last year.

no no no, the fishery will go well into june. opening week for the commercial boats is always hectic (especially opening day), with boats frantically setting gear to try and get the ideal sets right from the start. a couple sport buoys right in the path of a 50 pot string aren't going to be avoided which means they will be set over, buoys will probably sink, and then the theft accusations start flying, like I said its just better for everyone. after that first week gear locations are typically a little more established and things are a little more relaxed so its easier for the average sport guy to tell where the commercial gear is and isn't going to be.

Normally they get a two month season. Last year it was cut short I understand as the so called sustainable resource fishery stunk big time.

Normally they get a two month season. Last year it was cut short I understand as the so called sustainable resource fishery stunk big time.

yeah last year sucked big time all up and down the coast, pretty strange, year before that was the best ive ever seen. no idea what to expect this year.

just saying but i hate commericla prawnning around my area witch is stuart channel they bomb it every friggin year and its retarded trying to catch some prawns when there done , plus i heard some commy guy the other day bitching about how many sport guys were out. up yours buddday:)

yeah last year sucked big time all up and down the coast, pretty strange, year before that was the best ive ever seen. no idea what to expect this year.
Yeah,it did suck last year. They closed off several areas really early and one of the last to remain open was my
"stompin' grounds" in Saanich Inlet.Half the frickin' fleet ended up in there and just swept the place clean. It was a
few months before it was even worth throwing a trap down!

Back