Commercial Prawn opening??

Jencourt

Either I am blind or searching the wrong part of DFO site.
What is the opening date for commercial prawn fishery?
A co-worker said he heard it was going to be delayed this year. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Ray

Either I am blind or searching the wrong part of DFO site.
What is the opening date for commercial prawn fishery?
A co-worker said he heard it was going to be delayed this year. Is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Ray
According to an update on the Pacific Prawn Fishermen’s Association website, the season will not open any earlier than May 21st.

IT would be a waste, their market is overseas and restaurants. If they forced to only sell locally their prices would plummet.

I wouldn't mind some cheap prawns tho.

1.5 million pounds sitting in freezers, to be sold at the olympics and the Asian market. My guess is the season will be delayed to long and DFO will have them wait till next year.

Delayed opening by DFO. My commercial prawn friends are in a very tight spot. Market still full of last years prawns due to no Chinese New Years as a result of Covid. Freezer guys want to fish to try to keep crews and fishery together. Many are financed mega on high priced licences and there is no support for them in sight at this time. Totally new scenario that is stressful to the nines. Unless you have fished commercially as the license holder with a crew depending on you for their livelihood it’s hard to comprehend.

Delayed opening by DFO. My commercial prawn friends are in a very tight spot. Market still full of last years prawns due to no Chinese New Years as a result of Covid. Freezer guys want to fish to try to keep crews and fishery together. Many are financed mega on high priced licences and there is no support for them in sight at this time. Totally new scenario that is stressful to the nines. Unless you have fished commercially as the license holder with a crew depending on you for their livelihood it’s hard to comprehend.
Sounds like a broken system.

Cousin sent me a pic of the price of spot prawns in Asia. It’s 80$ per or 220$ for 3. In Canadian dollars that would be 14$ per prawn. It’s a very lucrative market and makes me appreciate the opportunity to catch them here locally even more.

Attachments

• DE14383E-5EDD-40B8-BF01-E8E89596B397.jpeg
    DE14383E-5EDD-40B8-BF01-E8E89596B397.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 142
I’ve been trafficking in restaurant surplus meat during this covid crisis.

Keeping the vacuum sealer busy during salmon non retention.

5kg of thick cut applewood smoked bacon for $20. Yes please.

Also wagyu beef, etc.

I would be a buyer of discount spot prawns.

At some point the market has to break....

7F376B92-6527-4E12-96B7-B4541709770A.png

I’ve been trafficking in restaurant surplus meat during this covid crisis.

5kg of thick cut applewood smoked bacon for $20. Yes please.

Also wagyu beef, etc.

I would be a buyer of discount spot prawns.

At some point the market has to break....

View attachment 52128

Lots of restaurant owners in Vancouver doing this. Putting a bit of a mark up on chicken breasts, meats ect

Trying to survive

Cousin sent me a pic of the price of spot prawns in Asia. It’s 80$ per or 220$ for 3. In Canadian dollars that would be 14$ per prawn. It’s a very lucrative market and makes me appreciate the opportunity to catch them here locally even more.

Ya no wonder why they are 14 dollars a prawn they are live imaging the cost to keep those live and when was that pic taken hopefully not recent because then we know that there is another fishery than commercially

Ya no wonder why they are 14 dollars a prawn they are live imaging the cost to keep those live and when was that pic taken hopefully not recent because then we know that there is another fishery than commercially
Taken last week in Hong Kong. Advertised as spot prawns from Japan which makes sense since most flights out of Vancouver are now suspended.

Sounds like a broken system.
In reality its not a lot different than many businesses owned by small entrepreneurs. If you are a smaller grain farmer in Saskatchewan who is a supplier in the world market a complete break in the supply chain may wipe you out financially. Big corporations can weather events out easier or may be bailed out by government. Who is really prepared to help out a commercial fisherman? Aren't they all filthy rich?

In reality its not a lot different than many businesses owned by small entrepreneurs. If you are a smaller grain farmer in Saskatchewan who is a supplier in the world market a complete break in the supply chain may wipe you out financially. Big corporations can weather events out easier or may be bailed out by government. Who is really prepared to help out a commercial fisherman? Aren't they all filthy rich?
I just more went to the guys catching the fish then the owner of GD lease. I'm not educated enough in this to really have an informed opinion though.

The informed term is "slipper skippers".
I believe that you should fish your quota, with specific temporary exemptions.
But I'm not in the game anymore, made too much money!! j/k

Back