Commercial Herring Fishery

Kisinana

I've noticed the last few years that the Japanese have not been buying as much roe.
Does anyone know how much herring they plan to take in Georgia Strait this year or where to look up the information?

I've noticed the last few years that the Japanese have not been buying as much roe.
Does anyone know how much herring they plan to take in Georgia Strait this year or where to look up the information?

Strait of Georgia Seine-7715 tons Gillnet 5785 tons. That is their target catch.Grand total 13,500 tons.

When you think about how many herring it must take to make a tonne,it is definitely alot of salmon food.Theres talk of restrictions on chinooks so the whales can have food,so maybe they should restrict the commercial herring so the bald eagles can eat as they are starving also.

13,500 tons seems like a heck of a lot of herring. Does anyone have any idea of the total tonnage expected in the strait?

H.E.H.

do the math 13,500 was total targeted amount for Georgia strait.

I heard that dfo doesn’t think that the commercials will take all 13.5-football fields 8-10 inches deep. They might leave a football field or two in the water to spawn. It seems the market is soft for BC herring roe in Japan.:eek:
GLG

Most of this precious resource is ground up into feed for salmon farms and pet food. :(

It’s not an industry it’s a make work program.
[FONT=&quot]GLG[/FONT]

Most of this precious resource is ground up into feed for salmon farms and pet food. :(

It is easy to focus on the damage the Atlantic Salmon Feed Lots do to our once pristine coastal inlets and that they are little more than breeding grounds for parasites and disease. We also need to remember that their feed pellets steal the food right out of the mouths of our wild salmon not to mention the wild salmon fry that swim through their pens and end up as food themselves.

Back