Commander 26 Re Build

That commander is a beauty but the pod is not what I’m looking for….
Let’s keep that boat out of this thread unless the owner has some input.

That commander is a beauty but the pod is not what I’m looking for….
Let’s keep that boat out of this thread unless the owner has some input.
Another option would be to check with the pod manufacturer and see if they have experience with the CAD / Technical drawings from outboard manufacturers. Would be nice to minimize the setback from a fishing perspective, however totally understand the desire to get the motors up out of the water when trimmed up for moorage.

Wish I had the motors here… or some type of 250 to double check.
The one built is 42” to the motor mounting. Unless the motors tilt up into the space under the hump ( also add 1” for the guard rail ) , there is no way a standard or smaller pod will work. I’m sure a few inches can be knocked of if the motors tuck in under the hump a bit or kiss the hump, or tilt is adjusted. And yes I did add a couple inches to be s
Double check your bracket height. I take it you are using 25" shafts You want your cavitation plates 1' above the hull for every foot of set back of bracket. 36 " bracket min 3" above hull line. my 36" setback have engine 5" above hull and could go 1" higher
. Now with twins I am not 100% positive where they mount but you and your bracket builder should be able to ensure that works.

Attachments

• 1657133569308.png
    1657133569308.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 78
I’d be tempted to call a few shops that regularly build pods and tell them your leg length and ask what the common distance has been from transom to 250s. I would then add the depth of that step to whatever they say. I’m happy to snap pictures or put a tape to mine again for you if you need as long as you can convince Ron to drop the deck on mine too. Oh and ill need a shop too. Port boathouse may be able to tell you exactly what you need also.

Last edited:
I’d be tempted to call a few shops that regularly build pods and tell them your leg length and ask what the common distance has been from transom to 250s. I would then add the depth of that step to whatever they say. I’m happy to snap pictures or put a tape to mine again for you if you need as long as you can convince Ron to drop the deck on mine too. Oh and ill need a shop too. Port boathouse may be able to tell you exactly what you need also.
Since Adrenalin and lordship agreed to make a pod for me, I haven’t thought too much about it.
I have heard only good things about them…

Will be putting the deck on soon !

Leg length does not dictate the setback, the power head is the same and that’s what’s tilting forwards. They will have the technical drawings will all the dimensions they need. leg length just sets your mounting height.

Leg length does not dictate the setback, the power head is the same and that’s what’s tilting forwards. They will have the technical drawings will all the dimensions they need. leg length just sets your mounting height.
If you have to mount your outboard 5" higher than normal, because your leg length is 5" too long, i.e. at 30" leg when a 25" is called for in a twin application... then the tilting power head, mounted 5" higher... will sweep a higher/longer arc increasing risk of hitting the transom / not clearing...

So while the leg length doesn't matter for performance if you can mount higher (or jackplate), it will affect the clearance between top of powerhead and back of transom wall.

As you suggest though, if the pod manufacture has the technical drawings they will be able to figure this out...

If you have to mount your outboard 5" higher than normal, because your leg length is 5" too long, i.e. at 30" leg when a 25" is called for in a twin application... then the tilting power head, mounted 5" higher... will sweep a higher/longer arc increasing risk of hitting the transom / not clearing...

So while the leg length doesn't matter for performance if you can mount higher (or jackplate), it will affect the clearance between top of powerhead and back of transom wall.

As you suggest though, if the pod manufacture has the technical drawings they will be able to figure this out...
It doesn’t work that way, the fulcrum point does not change move it up/down still a set measurement. You would be tilting towards a higher location on the transom so if there’s something in the way clearance wise that would be your only concern. A jackplate would add setback and help the situation.

It doesn’t work that way, the fulcrum point does not change move it up/down still a set measurement. You would be tilting towards a higher location on the transom so if there’s something in the way clearance wise that would be your only concern. A jackplate would add setback and help the situation.
Good catch - now that I think about it you're right!

Since Adrenalin and lordship agreed to make a pod for me, I haven’t thought too much about it.
I have heard only good things about them…

Will be putting the deck on soon !

Let those guys worry about the pod design and setback. You shouldn't need to worry about it if your getting it made by someone who knows what they are doing. You should have plenty of clearance and correct flotation if it done right. Let them deal with it.

The Commander is back on the trailer, cleaned up a bit, the deck is back in the bay and ready for some love.
Prepped the interior ( windows up ) with corebond, sanded and added one layer of mat.
All is smooth, ready for some gel coat on the entire rear cabin wall and a few inches below the windows to the headliner all around.0F2EABB7-A058-4238-8333-6FDECEF96F70.jpeg4DEF59FC-8DAE-47B3-8E9B-D739DECF690F.jpegC9DAF966-1190-4442-BF05-6C6FE5F75AE9.jpeg74104C8E-56C2-4264-9D4E-732F293E4785.jpeg4352D201-481F-4F38-A33B-BAB9524BA67B.jpegD7135F09-9B8F-444A-AD15-5639E4A46353.jpeg0A295A0D-92C1-4A39-A406-6EFAE6050447.jpegD1C98FE9-DBE4-4937-B5F6-D3BEEEDA4BB7.jpeg027CB6FC-23E1-485C-AEBB-243396FFB42F.jpeg11E15FFD-6AFE-441C-A8B6-3B4E7FB1C8B8.jpeg

Back