Commander 26 Re Build

Make a mould for the door and do it out of fiberglass.
That was my first thought but a little worried the door would end up too heavy,

The original door is very light, looks like teak veneer ply. It’s in great condition considering it’s almost 45 years old. At one point has been painted.
IMG_0475.jpeg

Could you take the old door apart and build a new longer one exactly the same way? Keep the original hatch above. Anything else is going to cost a fortune.

How dare you insinuate the Cutwater is a rainbow themed boat, I’m going back to sleep
Maybe your still asleep and this whole thread about removing the dodger from the commander is just a bad dream

Could you take the old door apart and build a new longer one exactly the same way? Keep the original hatch above. Anything else is going to cost a fortune.
Yes, easily. Just need to find some good teak ply, a lot that I have seen is from china and has a very thin veneer that tends to disappear when sanded down, which I’m assuming I need to do if I want to paint it. Then again if I’m painting it I wouldn’t necessarily need teak ply

Foam core and fiberglass would be much lighter than plywood. if your painting it it doesn’t even need to be plywood of any sort… fibertek sells the foam core just re-use the original hardware and window. Don’t even need a mould cut to size laminate a few layers of foam and 1708 together and fair each side smooth prime paint done

I'd stay away from using teak anywhere,it's stupid expensive now,I was quoted $65 per bd. ft.today which is insane.There's lots of other nice woods to use,I chose cherry today,under $8 per bd.ft. and I like it better.It lightens up the interior.Maple ,birch,mahogany are all nice when finished.Figured maple would be real nice.You don't want any wood on the exterior anyway's.

Foam core and fiberglass would be much lighter than plywood. if your painting it it doesn’t even need to be plywood of any sort… fibertek sells the foam core just re-use the original hardware and window. Don’t even need a mould cut to size laminate a few layers of foam and 1708 together and fair each side smooth prime paint done
That coosa material is sure nice to work with. It's a labor reducer 👍

Quick little update

I found a Ron 3.0 , super excited to see how he’s gonna work out . Can’t wait for the new year and make some progress on the boat

After being kinda disappointed that I had to part ways with Ron 2.0 because he didn’t come with the gel coat feature, I sure am missing the
OG Ron 1.0
I’m hoping Ron 3.0 also comes with a full file of Spanish guitar music just like Ron 1.0 but hold the stories of tying feathers to his little bird. 🤣

Btw the boat still looks effin mmm mmm mmm
with the flybridge OFF

Hopefully will have some actual progress reports in the new year and not just my thoughts LoL

I just got caught up on the last month or so. What a Rollercoaster with the top! Hope the new Ron is a winner. This has to be thread of the year.

Well boys, I’m done
After going hard for the first 6 months, it’s been a slow grind with not much progress for a year and a half. And it seems like I just can’t find a solid run anymore. It’s gonna take me way too long to complete this project myself and I don’t really feel like babysitting another Ron anymore. I came a long way from being a fibreglass virgin and learnt a lot during this build about boats, but honestly I don’t even have time to watch a YouTube video on how to build a boat, been too busy with life, work and refreshing the forum page a million times a day. Obviously I’m upset with some of the work that was completed on this build under my watch but at the end of the day I’m very proud of my boat and my work. It’s time for me to let go of this build, get the boat out of my shop and have someone else complete it for me. I had my time and like I said, can’t seem to get a solid run going. I had a blast with this thread, lots of joking around, a rollercoaster of a ride and thanks to everyone for their input.
It’s time for me to give it up…
At least this way I might make it to WH with the commander next year

Will keep you guys updated on the status of the build,

It’s time for a drink,

Happy New Years

Cheers

Well boys, I’m done
After going hard for the first 6 months, it’s been a slow grind with not much progress for a year and a half. And it seems like I just can’t find a solid run anymore. It’s gonna take me way too long to complete this project myself and I don’t really feel like babysitting another Ron anymore. I came a long way from being a fibreglass virgin and learnt a lot during this build about boats, but honestly I don’t even have time to watch a YouTube video on how to build a boat, been too busy with life, work and refreshing the forum page a million times a day. Obviously I’m upset with some of the work that was completed on this build under my watch but at the end of the day I’m very proud of my boat and my work. It’s time for me to let go of this build, get the boat out of my shop and have someone else complete it for me. I had my time and like I said, can’t seem to get a solid run going. I had a blast with this thread, lots of joking around, a rollercoaster of a ride and thanks to everyone for their input.
It’s time for me to give it up…
At least this way I might make it to WH with the commander next year

Will keep you guys updated on the status of the build,

It’s time for a drink,

Happy New Years

Cheers
Did you get new years and April fools mixed up? Regardless sounds like the boat will get done! Happy new years!

Back