Columbia Sockeye forecast will be twice as large

"Predicted"? Guessed? Used a ouija board? They really don't have clue one as to what is happening with the various runs, do they.

Good for Columbia River getting the number of sockeyes. There is a concern with Fraser Sockeyes that once to be over millions and millions of them all over the island waters during the months of August and September. Now, they have disappeared since few years. Really mystery....I am sure that DFO knows something but won't say anything to the public yet.[V]

Too bad the columbia river runs end at the chief Joseph... Might be a fish in that river had they put some management to work.. Good to hear they are still down in the south though..

Actually, thanks are owed to our Canadian cousins in this case. Almost all of those fish are headed up the Okanogon River to Osoyoos Lake. I think one of the First Nations in that area has been working on that run, and had fixed some of the problems with Skaha Lake. I'll actually get a whack at those fish as they stage at the mouth of the Okanogon - good times!!

Oh great! the doubled the run to 250k. FOR THE COLUMBIA!
The Fraser got 1 mil back last year and that was a catastrophe.
The Columbia has WAY more grounds than the SSS system and they are getting an est. 600K.
Gotta compare apples to apples IMO

It is amazing what can happen when you get ALL stakeholders and two different countries working together to figure out how to save a friggen fish, isn’t it?

BTW… I don’t know where they got their information, but Okanagan Basin is a trans-boundary tributary of the Columbia River. A lot of those sockeye will be going home here in the U.S. The Osoyoos Lake is also trans-boundary, but those fish going to Canada are probably not headed for the Osoyoos – most would by passing that - headed for the Skaha Lake. They have been actively working on that since about 1999?

I do believe you really want to thank anyone for this one - it should probably be our Canadian First Nation (Okanagan Nation Alliance) cousins and our American Native (Colville Confederated Tribes) cousins, as they are the ones that accomplished this!

Back