Colours for the WCVI

Pippen

Hey Guys,

I am headed up to Kyuquot for a week as of June 21rst and loading up the "box".

Any ideas from you guys fishing Nootka/Esperanza or the WCVI as to what "has" been working?

I've got quite the collection of various colours etc but just need to top off with a few things and figured I'd throw it out there.

Thanks in advance. :)

This might be helpful to you! :D
Kyuquot (Walter’s Cove)
The only access to Walter’s Cove is by plane or boat. This is nice small settlement; which has a pay phone, store, restaurant, nice Government dock, but no liquor store. Walter’s Cove is a “dry” community. You need to plan ahead for fuel or you could find yourself in a very embarrassing position! Fuel can be arranged through locals and brought in via the UChuck III in 55 gallon drums. Do not plan a trip to Kyuquot, without planning ahead for fuel.

The recommended way into the Walter’s Cove is Kyuquot Channel, marked on your chart as “Favorite Entrance”, but you can enter through Brown Channel, which passes the favorite fishing area without issues. The entrance to Walters Cove is an “S” route. It is tricky and does not provide a lot of room for error, especially at low tide. Study your chart and plan the route carefully and preferably with visibility on your first time. Also, watch your wake once passed the entrance in the inner channels.

In and around Kyuquot Sound are many places to anchor. You can literally anchor in any cove between Fair Harbour and Walter’s Cove. An excellent anchorage is Kyuquot Bay on Union Island: N49 59.319 W127 17.680 or Centre Cove behind Whiteley Island: N50 00.823 W127 11.609

When and Where to Fish Kyuquot

Spring Island: N50 00.090 W127 26.286
Start here. This is the most fished area out of Walter’s Cove due to its proximity. Is an easy run and the fishing is close to the shoreline and you will be fishing with many other boats. Anchovies are the first choice with a teaser head, using a "green" or "red" Hotspot flasher. During the last of July and August most of the Chinook seem to be caught at this location.

Follow the 60-90 foot contour lines with 30-60 ft down on the downrigger. Set up a racetrack pattern, most of the time following the boat in front of you. If you do see a tide/scum line, head for it and fish the ebb side. If you are not putting fish in the box and others are, again lengthen those leaders to 8-10 feet and slow the roll and speed of the bait. If that doesn’t work try running a false flasher tying the flasher to your downrigger ball at about 10 feet back and the bait line about 20 feet back and 15 feet above the flasher.

This area is very good on the flood tide both early morning and late afternoon. Fish the waters along the shoreline staying close to any kelp. A red “Hotspot” would be a good choice to start with as this is usually very clear water. There are not very many Coho in this particular area, but if you run one of you downriggers close to the bottom, you are very likely to catch a halibut.

SpringIsland.jpg

Rugged Point: N49 58.381 W127 14.625
This would be my third choice. Fish the same as Spring Island, but stay on the 80-foot contour line and close to the shore. Concentrate in the pockets and back eddies on both tide changes.

This is a good afternoon fishery providing some protection from any westerlies.

RuggedPoint.jpg

Offshore: N49 55.168 W127 33.358
This is the area most boats head, if things are slow at Spring Island. This is a very rich and productive area for Chinook, Coho, and Halibut. You could fish this area early morning and Spring in the afternoon? :)

KyuquotSalmon.jpg

The crabbing on the outside and around Walter's Cove is not very good, but if you do happen to run towards Fair Harbour, both the crabbing and prawning can be quite good!

Hey Charlie, have you ever considered writing a book..... your knowledge is outstanding and your willingness to share information and help other fishermen is most commendable! Thanks for enriching this site... SS

ps hope you get your boat back in the water soon.

seaswirlstiper.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

Hey Charlie, have you ever considered writing a book..... your knowledge is outstanding and your willingness to share information and help other fishermen is most commendable! Thanks for enriching this site... SS

Ha ha....no kidding!!

Thanks for the post Charlie...this will be a "repeat" trip as I have been over there before. I know the crabbing close in to Kyuquot is painful....I had a local laugh at me last year about crabbing in close.[:eek:)]

We had some good fishing in the areas around Spring Island (although there was a size restriction) but things were much better out on the "Highway".

Great post and appreciate the time!! :)

Nog....e-mail inbound.

SS , How was your West Coast trip , never heard from you ?? ,Cheers ,,, FD ;)...
quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

seaswirlstiper.jpg

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

Hey Felix, my first mates mother had a heart attack the day before we were to leave and unfortunately passed away a couple of days later so needless to say the trip never happened. We rescheduled to next Thurs, Fri. and Sat. hope you might be up there. Thanks for enquiring. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Back