Codfish

Hey Pablo - that you catch them on the lower sunshine coast was interesting! I've never seen or heard of anyone catching one on the upper coast so I just assumed we did not have them on the inside strait. Do you happen to recall what type of depth you were in?

Have to say I never jig over a sandy bottom except in 60-80 feet for flounder so that might explain why I've never caught one :)

We use to catch what we called a grey cod or true cod in Campbell River if we'd fish too deep off Cape Mudge (over 150' or more.) They weren't always there and seemed to come through in huge schools. Could be the same fish? About 7-12 pounds, little barble under its chin and very soft belly. The doggies would usually have the cod pretty chewed up by the time you got it to the boat. I can't recall seeing one for about 15 - 20 years.

Nimo

Interesting topic. I actually did some research on this species since I used to catch the Atlantic Cod in Norway and in the Baltic Sea - what a blast - they grow to over 100 lbs! and 40 - 50 lbs Cods in Norway are not uncommon! I found out that the Pacific Cod (which is almost identical to the Atlantic brother and grows just a bit smaller on average)is one of the most important commercial fish on the Pacific Westcoast but yet nobody sport-fishes for them. Even die-hard anglers who grew up here on VI know next to nothing about this fish. Last year I pulled one up on Swiftsure - nice 10 lbs - while fishing for hali. After that I was determined to target them more specificly. I found very little literature about angling them but there is an older version of the "How to catch bottomfish" that has a smallish section on Pacific Cod. Apparently in the 70's there was a good population in Pudget Sound that was worth targeting. In contrary to the Atlantic Cod, the Pacific brother doesn't seem to come close to shore here. East you can cast for them even in the surf on sandy beaches, in the deep fjords in Norway they live everywhere - in the deep close to bottom, in huge swarms in mid water, in the shallow close to shore and in the weed zones...Cods spawn around Jan-Mar in deeper water - eggs just float around. It seems to me that the Pacific Cod is more a typical offshore swarm fish that only comes occasional in boating distance to shore - maybe during their spawning time. But I have seen photos of anglers coming back in Campbell River with a boat full of Cod. So they are around - at least at some times - and are catchable but there is no information out there. You got to pioneer on this one...

I have never caught one myself, but saw the head of one at the crofton boatlaunch last sept.I was wondering what the heck it was.big lips and head.

Hey Nimo: I have caught quite a few grey or true cod in my travels. They are a wonderful table fish. It seems to be as mentioned a very hit and miss fishery. I'm always happy to hook one up though.[:p] The hump at Kitty Coleman gives up a few on occasion.;) eman

quote:Originally posted by eaglemaniac

Hey Nimo: I have caught quite a few grey or true cod in my travels. They are a wonderful table fish. It seems to be as mentioned a very hit and miss fishery. I'm always happy to hook one up though.[:p] The hump at Kitty Coleman gives up a few on occasion.;) eman

I had the belief "way back when" that they were wormy - very soft. I see them now in the stores and relatively expensive - looks like a missed opportunity, quite good I'm sure. Of course we took ling cod for granted back then as well, didn't give them much thought as we fished salmon - what I wouldn't give for that today.

Hey Nimo: Your right, they can be wormy. Leave them in the fridge overnite. If there's worms they will present themselves.;) eman

Just lift the fillets up against light and you will see the worms easily. 98% of the time they are in the belly meat part. Not a big deal - you can pull them out or just cut the particular meat part off.

We catch them when Hali fishing.
Once you're on them, you can haul them up all day long... As long as you can hold a 300' bottom.

Haven't seen any on the inside. They like the WC waters.

The one in the picture is HUGE!
I think my largest has been ~ 10 or 12 pounds.

SIR - Sorry for not seeing your question earlier. I catch them in about 130 to 200 feet of water over a sandy bottom with jigs. The location where I've caught them the most isn't far from a reef. Maybe 100 yards or so. They usually aren't too big... anywhere from 4 to 10 pounds. And they do school. If you catch one, you will probably catch a bunch more.

In the 70's, my dad used to troll a lot with bait. If he stayed out too late (after sunset), he couldn't keep the hake and cod off the hooks. He called them garbage fish. I've read that they spawn in the winter and you'll see them stack up on the bottom. Apparently, they look like haystacks on the sounder. I've caught them all times of year, but more in the summer (probably because I fish more in the summer!).

Back