Climate: LNG in B.C. vs Alberta tarsands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of Richmond's problem comes from the land sinking not the sea rising.
http://geogratis.gc.ca/api/en/nrcan-rncan/ess-sst/aff4fba4-e4b3-50c0-8e3c-c360a924487d.html
Thanks for the additional info Fish Bait.

If you read the data from your post, it states:
1/"The land subsidence map is tied to regional sea level using a subset of collocated tide gauges and GPS stations. This analysis points to a regional Northeast Pacific sea-level rise of 1.8 mm/yr over the 20th century.",
2/ "The combined analysis shows an average subsidence rate in the Holocene delta (Richmond and Delta municipalities) of 1-2 mm/yr compared to uplift of 0-1 mm/yr in the Pleistocene Highlands (Vancouver, Burnaby, Surrey, Tsawwassen Heights).", and
3/ "Localized rapid subsidence areas (> 4 mm/yr) appear to be associated with sites of relatively recent construction."

So the actual observed relative rise in sea levels in certain areas could be upwards of 4mm/yr subsidence PLUS the 1.8mm/yr actual sea level rise = +6mm/yr observed sea level rise in areas.

You are implying that climate change is causing the oceans to rise to such an extent that Richmond faces major issues. Over 70% of the problem is the result of Richmond sinking, not climate change even if that really is leading to oceans rising.

I'm not "implying" anything - I am quoting data generated by Natural Resources Canada - the link you provided.

You can argue if gremlins or climate change is causing that rise in sea levels - if you want to -your prerogative. I'm staying out of that climate change argument.

I'm not "implying" anything - I am quoting data generated by Natural Resources Canada - the link you provided.

You can argue if gremlins or climate change is causing that rise in sea levels - if you want to -your prerogative. I'm staying out of that climate change argument.

If you are staying out of climate changer debates, then why do you post links to radio shows claiming Richmond is suffering due to climate change. The series is on the purported impact of climate change and uses Richmond as an example of the effect. You should listen to what you link to. Is disingenuous to claim that you are avoiding climate change arguments when all the "evidence" you provide is a climate change impact report.

The admin/moderator has asked us not to indulge in debate over this topic. You can send a pm to him and ask why - if you want to know.

Maybe you shouldn't dredge up old threads with your non stop copying and pasting out of respect to the site owners. Or are the rules different for you?

I picture you guys like grumpy old men, arguing over the best spot at the starin window.

Lol! No they aren't!

1st guy - M R Ducks!
2nd guy - M R Not Ducks!
1st guy - M R Sew
2nd guy - M R Not
1st guy - O S A R
1st guy - C D E D B D Wings? C D E D B D Legs?
2nd guy - Whale Oil Beef Hooked, M R Ducks!

:D

Energy Megaprojects, and How They Aim to Seduce Us
‘Rigorous’ reviews that aren’t so inclusive. Sparkling clean pipelines. Smooth sailing tankers. Don’t be fooled.
xIan-Gill-Bio_square_thumb.jpg.pagespeed.ic.x0Wcq1NsNW.jpg
By Ian Gill Today | TheTyee.ca
https://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2017/03/18/Energy-Megaprojects-Seduce/

Guys like Ian Gill make a living out of people like you AgentAqua

I think agent is making the same kind of living. Honestly the most controversial member of this forum, by a long shot!! Its like his daddy owns this forum lol.

Thxs for keeping us informed AA. Many of us enjoy reading the links to keep informed and appreciate your efforts! A few don't but that's their problem... Pretty sure you realize that though.

Thxs for keeping us informed AA. Many of us enjoy reading the links to keep informed and appreciate your efforts! A few don't but that's their problem... Pretty sure you realize that though.
Thanks for the support, bigdogeh. It's too bad that the reaction by a few posters - when they don't like the information - is to attack the messenger rather than the content. I guess if I had a job that was in or related to the fossil fuel industry - I might find it hard to be objective when receiving messaging outside of that carefully massaged and targeted messaging that claims: "all is well here folks - nothing to see, move along". People react poorly when what they consider is their beliefs - is questioned.

Thanks for the support, bigdogeh. It's too bad that the reaction by a few posters - when they don't like the information - is to attack the messenger rather than the content. I guess if I had a job that was in or related to the fossil fuel industry - I might find it hard to be objective when receiving messaging outside of that carefully massaged and targeted messaging that claims: "all is well here folks - nothing to see, move along". People react poorly when what they consider is their beliefs - is questioned.

Oh agent. Its a pretty far stretch for you to assume what individuals on this forum like and don't like. For example I never post on the global warming, fossil fuel issue yet you assume my position on it. This very clearly shows that you lack the ability to really participate in an actual discussion for your mind is already made up and your position is final and preconceived. Your on this forum preaching openness and transparency and honesty but you are more than willing to let misinformation slide that is in favour of your views. I see this from you repeatedly.
You are very informed on the forum rules but you constantly push the boundaries to promote your views here on this forum in a competitive like manor.
Your above post is just another slag at those who may disagree with you where your judging reactions and very indirectly insinuating that those people are "less" than you. How do you ever expect you gain traction in your plight when practice such exclusion of people who don't share your opinion especially with people you don't even know?

Speaking of assuming, BN - how do you know I was talking about you?

I think those who never had much compassion in their lives have trouble recognizing it when it happens. I think those who have had little to do with the environmental assessments might not recognize the gaps. I think those who have never been involved in consensus-based decision-making might not understand how to receive and integrate other perspectives.

Anyways - I think it's time for this thread to get back on track...

Last edited:
You speak like we are all from the oil sands. Not true for me.

You say we have a vested interest. Well I say the same about you. People like you have built a whole industry filled with people who would be flipping burgers if the fear mongering for funding didn't take place.

I guess if I had a job that was in or related to the climate change industry - I might find it hard to be objective when receiving messaging outside of that carefully massaged and targeted messaging that claims: "all is catastrophic here folks - nothing to gain, no realities to address, move along".

That's a double edged sword, see how changing a few words makes it easy to flip it 180°. You and I have had conversations on here where you won't even acknowledge that climate change advocates could be chasing the almighty dollar. You act as if they're all altruistic saints with nothing but the good of mankind at heart. You're 100% guilty of what you're accusing others of doing, zero difference.

when they don't like the information - is to attack the messenger rather than the content

Umm pot, kettle black. You just did what you're accusing others of, took a shot without addressing any of the post.

I guess if I had a job that was in or related to the fossil fuel industry

Pretty sure you do! I'll say it again on here for the 87th time, everyone does. Name me one job that doesn't rely on it, just one. We all have a vested interest in both sides. Divisive attitudes like you display are the same as partisan politics, 100% counterproductive that's why we get no where as a collective. More pragmatism, less dogmatism and maybe we'll quit spinning our wheels but I have almost zero faith that'll happen. Too many people on both sides profiting from the circle jerk.

Last edited:
You speak like we are all from the oil sands. Not true for me.

You say we have a vested interest. Well I say the same about you. People like you have built a whole industry filled with people who would be flipping burgers if the fear mongering for funding didn't take place.
Not sure who the "we" is that you self-identify with, OnTick, but I'm pretty sure I have built no burger industry. I think capacity to deal with these technical and legal issues is always a challenge for community members - as the article pointed-out.

I think those who never had much compassion in their lives have trouble recognizing it when it happens.

Anyways - I think it's time for this thread to get back on track...

If you don't agree with agent you have not had much compassion in your life. Common agent cut the subtle character attacks.

I bet you want the topic to change!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back