Circle hook.

Gunsmith

I am in all info about circle hooks. I am beginning to get the drift that they are a better way for catch and release. Is this right? When I get out fishing I am very interested in releasing the big ones in halibut and spring salmon fishing.
If circle hooks are the way to do this then I am all for this method or hook.[^][^]

IMG_1445.jpg

tough to get a circle hook out of a halibut and would take a very long time to rot out. havnt seen a circle hook for salmon yet,very effective hook once its in.

I do like them for halibut. Never lose a fish and usually pretty easy to unhook if you grind the barb off first. If not, like bee said, unhooking them can be tough depending on where they get stuck.

thanks kramer i think il take all the barbs off excepthehook il use in the derby.i that way i can save myself some nasty cutswhen releasing.i usually loop a rope over the shank and then pull the hookout backwards

the circle hooks can usually be removed easily if you turn the eye toward the tail and then push them flat toward the head,then keeping pressure toward the head ,slide the whole thing out of the fishes mouth.Halibut will usually calm down and hold still if you slide you hand from head to tail like you were petting a dog or cat. A gaff around the hook pulling away from the eye of the hook will make it easier.

quote:Originally posted by Gunsmith

I am in all info about circle hooks. I am beginning to get the drift that they are a better way for catch and release. Is this right? When I get out fishing I am very interested in releasing the big ones in halibut and spring salmon fishing.
If circle hooks are the way to do this then I am all for this method or hook.[^][^]

IMG_1445.jpg
Definitly grind the barb off. It is pretty much impossible for a hali to shake a circle hook once it is in. I've talked to a few comercials and they are grinding the barbs and trying to get IPHC to do a study on it. It also makes releasing way easier and it's better for the fish.
If your any good with a gaff. Put the gaff in the circle of the hook and twist it while you pull the leader away from you. It takes a couple of trys but once you get the hang of it releasing is quick and easy on the fish.

the gaff twist is a great way to get hook outim down to one armand no hand now so will be a little tough for me,once the season starts.

would like to get some circle hooks for trout as theydont swallow circles deep so no need to kill.

il just have to learn a fewmore tricks thats all.il figger it out.soon enuff no barbs will helpwith release though

While I was up north for the CCG I was casting from the rocks. Trouble was the kelp. Kept breaking gear even though i was using braid. Started using some circle hooks 4/0 on the buzz bomb and spoons. Worked like a charm, skipped over the kelp nary a snag. No problem hooking fish and release was easy too. They came barb-less. Eagle Claw. I've got them in a few tandem rigs but have not had a real good test as yet.

Anyone used circle hooks while trolling for salmon, in any type of set up?? Guys down south use the circles for pelagic fish im pretty sure so why aren't these aren't used for salmon... poor hook up capability?

i use maruto catfish hooks. 10/O large j bend and easy to pull out with the gaff lift method.

Easy to get a circle out of a hali with a gaff; just practice on a few dogs first. As for salmon, I've wanted to try them, but never found circles that looked right for the job. After using them for monster cats on the Red, I do believe they would be a great innovation for salmon trolling.

I just started using circles for halibut. Haven't caught any on them though. :mad: They are big mustads with huge barbs. Does anyone know if there are barbless circle hooks suitable for hali fishing on the market?

The circle hook was originally designed for longliners,using bait. The fish bites and has time to munch and chew and when impaled stays on longer due to the design of the hook.

It was never designed as a "fast strike" hook. Which is why I've never really considered it for trolling.

Back in the day they did "drop tests" with hooks to see how quick and accurately they would "take" in tissue.

The Siwash and the Treble were winners.

Now try "drop-testing" a circle hook and see how far you get......

As yet my experience shows with rod in hand a lot of strikes or nibbles missed, put rod in holder and ignore... solid hook-ups.

I have been using circle hooks almost exclusively since 1998. In a Hootchie, they work great. With anchovie, they work great. On a spoon, they work great. go 2 sizes over what you normally use. I run alot of 3/0 4/0 5/0 hooks. you do not set the hook on a circle hook. For it to work, the hook relies on the fact that after a strike the fish will TURN. This slides the hook the corner of the mouth, where the point digs in and rotates. once hooked, they cannot throw the hook. you do not need a barbed hook with circle hooks. to unhook, you turn the hook, and PUSH INWARDS to dislodge the hook. fish cannot do that once hooked, which is why they stay hooked. I fish Gold River, out of the MISTRESS, and stay at Tuta Marina. Everyone there knows what I use and I have given away countless packs of circle hooks. I have had 30 pound springs off Hoisse Pointe airborne 5 times in a row 10 yards off of the boat, and still landed the fish. In the pack, I regularly get accused of not pinching the barbs. When I confront these guys at Critter cove for their rude behaviour, and show them the hooks, they act like it was science fiction. AS FOR HALIBUT, when you feel the hit, just leave the rod alone. DO NOT TOUCH IT WIND IT IN YANK IT OR ANYTHING. When the fish turns to swim away, he will hook himself in the top jaw, or the side of the mouth. I use circle hooks exclusively in Alberta for Walleye and Pike on my plugs and spinner rigs. no need for a leader, and never a gut or gill hook. Last year, Walter, who fishes from the AMAZONIA out of Campbell River, got to see first hand the effectivness of a Circle Hook, as he snagged my line with a 24 pounder on. he actually hand lined the fish in, after grabbing the line with his boat hook. Very amazing fight, and the fish should have been gone a dozen times. Walter thought so. He sure looked funny at that hook, and I offered to give him a pack back at the dock. I missed him and still owe him a pack. If you see me out there in the first week of August, come over and say hi, I'll show you everything I know.

Drewski

I find this whole circle hook discussion very interesting. Does anyone have any brand or size preferences for say a hootchie rig? Pics would be nice. Thanks;) eman

Circle Hooks are.......

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0803/danhood/gifs/unbranded-********-stamp.jpg

Back