Chinook fishery to close ???

Anyone think those f-ckers will ever be forced to stop with the nets? Before it's too late?

Ahh,,,,NOPE! I have never heard of or met a politician that has the spine or balls to touch this issue. We all know exactly what will happen if anyone grows a pair and puts a stop to the square hook river fishery by the FN, and all of the politicos are more interested in protecting thier own asses instead of the fish, history proves that point loud and clear.

Everyone that fishes and/or knows anyone that fishes or has any ties to the fishing world, needs to move this topic up in thier day to day conversations and get everyone who are involved and will be affected by these changes, up to speed and educated about what is about to happen. And PACK THAT MEETING HALL! Show DFO and the government that we are fed up and PO'ed wth thier management decisions, and we aren't going to take it lying down.

Don't get me going on the first nations issue. As a mining exec, with projects in BC and Ontario, I have extensive dealings on this issue. Since I am still actively working on some issues, all I will say is, OUR GOVERNMENT has ABANDONED us! They have no concern of right and wrong, law, or ethics in dealing with the FN. They just want to get it out their hair and hide from conflict. (which is badly needed at the moment). If I told you what was going on in Ontario, you would puke! Mining companies are told to accept the EXTORTION that is going on, and we are forced to sign ILLEGAL agreements with the FN. The gov has forced us to do this! It is a disgrace!

All I, and many other concerned fishers say can say about this, is that is you have any interest or care about the salmon fishing from Sheringham Pt. to Sidney you need to be at the SFAB meeing 7pm Sheraton FourPoints Hotel, basement meeting room (behind the Langford Costco).

If you are a sportfisher, lodge/hotel/motel owner, guide, tackle shop owner, boat dealer, marina/gas dock owner, etc. you need to be at this meeting to show your concern by your physical presence.

If there is not a huge turnout to show profound displeasure at the possible extreme restrictions coming out, DFO will figure they have no reason to change their minds on this. WE MUST SHOW SOLIDARITY AND STRENGTH IN NUMBERS AT THIS MEETING. No time for petty differences and excuses that others can carry the ball on this. If you care about fishing in these waters you MUST be there!!! The time to stand up for your right to fish is NOW!

Totally agree with you WiTW and others posts on this thread. However, over on the Derby thread, there is notification of a pub get together for the Sooke Halibut Derby on same day. Unfortunately I think that is going to make an impact on attendance at SFAB meeting.
The notion of "Fiddling while Rome Burns" comes to mind, although I bet I get some heavy flack for that one....LOL

Here is a reply from a friend who work close with the DFO on surveys (HE IS NOT DFO, he is a pro guide, he just help collect data)....

Looks like a tough scenario for sure. Sounds like Vancouver will escape any closures. I went Sport Fishing Advisory Comitte meeting on Thursday and the concern over early timed Fraser Chinook was discussed. The chinook that are spending 2 years in freshwater before migrating to the ocean are doing the *****. The Fraser Chinook that only spend one year in freshwater before going to the ocean are doing extremely well. So....basically the water needed for farming are drawing river levels down in the summer and killing a lot of the juveniles that spend summers in rivers like the Nicola and the Coldwater. Unfortunate because a lot of the habitat stuff is a provincial mandate. Hopefully the feds and the province can work together to quit boiling these salmon.

In terms of sockeye this year....it is not looking good so far for a big run. If it does open, it would likely be from the 15th of August to the 5th of September. Looks like 2012 and 2013 may suck for sockeye.

I just posted in the 'conservation' section, then saw this thread.. This comment is from Alex Morton's blog. She's got a got a good view point:
From Alexandra Morton:

"DFO is calling for large cuts in Chinook retention, meanwhile their own scientist is finding salmon leukemia in wild chinook. Salmon Leukemia was never seen before salmon feedlots. It killed of upto 100% of farmed Chinnok, prompting the industry to switch to Atlantics. DFO found it infecting the wild chinook outside the pens, but did nothing about it. According to DFO scientist, Miller, it is in all the sockeye dying before spawning, which is over 90% of all Fraser sockeye in some years! The PSC estimates $72 million was lost to commerical fishermen in 2002 alone due to this prespawn mortality. The best evidence DFO has points to salmon leukemia from salmon feedlots as the cause. The ONE Fraser sockeye run that do not pass the feedlots has been increasing over the past 18 years and is now BC's only designated salmon stronghold It is UNBELIEVABLE to me that no seems to know anything about this, even though is was painfully extracted during the Cohen Inquiry. Fishermen would rather beat up on each other and blame First Nations and water temperature than get up the courage to say "Salmon farms". But if people would read what we learned at Cohen, the DFOers on the river have been saying for some time to their bosses it is not high water temperature, it is a mysterious virus that behaves just like salmon leukemia. I am guessing people don't actually care enough about wild salmon to face the salmon feedlot industry, Everyone is cowering from it. Filll your boots folks the salmon will just keep dying even if no one ever caught another chinook salmon ever."

I agree. Why do we have a commercial Chinook fishery at all? I thought the idea was that Sockeye was allocated more to the commercial sector in place of chinook.

500,000 Chinook caught in the recreational fishery in 2011? I find that absolutely impossible to believe, and until proven otherwise by some kind of official, believable data, call total BS on that number. Please post where you got that information, or be proven a liar.

See you all at the meeting...

CP

Last edited by a moderator:
According to the DFO stats from 2009 (I couldn't find 2011 data for all areas) the total rec catch was 195,116 fish coastwide. I sincerely doubt that chinook catches by rec anglers more than doubled from 2009 to 2011.

North and Central Coast (Stat Areas 1-10) = 43,177

Johnstone Strait (Stat Areas 11-12) = 10,744

Georgia Strait (Stat Areas 13-19, 28, 29AB) = 20,587

Juan de Fuca Strait = 28,558

WCVI = 92,050

Total in 2009 = 195,116

Source: http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/stats/rec/index-eng.htm

That looks a little more believable. If anything, the catch likely declined a little between 2009 and 2011. Based on the official DFO website, the commercial catch was 228,847 in 2011.

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Fos2_Internet/pdfs/2011SalmonSummary.pdf

Fish4all, please post where you got your information unless you want to lose whatever tiny particle of credibility you may have left with some of the more naive members of this board.

For the record - I'm not one of them.

Opinons are one thing, BS disguised as fact is something entirely different.

CP

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok so roughly the same if the rec catch didn't change much from 09, close to 50/50. Why the **** is the halibut split 85/15?

screwed again,,can't dfo see who is catching all of the fish,,cut those commercial guys back for a few years then the fish will be back in big numbers,,easy fix,,come on you dfo f--kers,,figure it out,,what if we were to cut back on dfo employees and have a few less jobs,,it's just like that's what their going to do to the charter guys,,
way to go

Again guys get your facts straight, sportys caught 500,000 chinook last year n the commies caught 140,000 for north and south combined.So it is pretty hard to pass the red face test when we catch three times as much fish as the commies so get it right before you open your mouth dumbass.look on the DFO site first cause you're sounding like a bunch of hillbillys here.

Again guys get your facts straight, sportys caught 500,000 chinook last year n the commies caught 140,000 for north and south combined.So it is pretty hard to pass the red face test when we catch three times as much fish as the commies so get it right before you open your mouth dumbass.look on the DFO site first cause you're sounding like a bunch of hillbillys here.

Please provide a link to the page stating that fact.

Thanks.

Using the voodoo math that DFO likes so much.Do the math,300,000 strong two fish each a year is 600,000 ,you think guys are out catching bullheads?I know lots of friends and a few charter boys thar max out alot,that is a guides job to show me the fish.

But how can you prove otherwise,with a creol survey?I guess we won't know untill we start getting a number on the charter guys.At the very least a licence so we know how many guys are taking the 70% of the sport quota.Or is that 69%,this forum is better than watching **** .lol

The numbers don't lie phishbonk, you do. Again, state your source, post a link to a website, do something other than spew crap. This is getting boring already...

The numbers don't lie phishbonk, you do. Again, state your source, post a link to a website, do something other than spew crap. This is getting boring already...

the numbers came from a member on the salmon commission. I have asked to be provided with the link. I dont see why it is so impossible to see that is only an average of less than 2 fish per recreational angler.

Back