Center pin rod

looking for a good high end centerpin rod i can put my islander steelheader on, and sugestions on a good rod

Sage 3113 IMO the best pin rod out there

Now which 3113 would you suggest? There were three different ones...

3113LB, 3113MB, and the 3113M. I myself prefer the 3113LB for any typical flows. However if hitting a flow with some tanks cruising around the 3113MB or 3113M would be a better option.

I would get the 3113mb. It has enough back bone to pull in some pigs and will bend right to the cork. The rod loads great and will allow for easy casting. Great all around rod!

I say if you wanted a prefab rod, GLoomis STR1352 or 3113 are great choices.. But from personal and overall experiences with sages in general, they tend to break easily. Difference between the two is that Gloomis is rated to have a bit faster action and has a tennessee handle instead of a fixed reel seat, which I find a bit low for my personal preference. Benefits to having a tennessee handle, that it allows you to position the reel higher so that the butt extends to your elbow. But both are priced around the same, so it really comes down to personal choice. Regardless, they are both built off of a mooching blanks. So if you want a high end PIN rod with backbone, go custom and have them build off a spey/switch blank. A Fly blank will usually give you a faster action then a mooching rod which are parabolic, which simply means more bend and a challenge to fight a fish in high flow.

Custom 3113m, 3113L,3106L all fished for 10 years, broke one once, Lifetime Warranty. Now that Shimano bought GLoomis there limited lifetime warranty has gone to sh*t. I know of several people who have been denied warranty claims on rods that broke while fishing. I own 2 Loomis rods and like them. Bottom line nothing beats a Sage.

If you go to any fish shop, and take a look at all the rods in for repair, majority will be sages. But warranties are mostly validated by the 'break' in the rod. Reason why a claim would be denied if the break wasn't clean, which would indicate improper use. Otherwise, I haven't seen an issue where a claim was denied to due manufacturing error. The only thing I didn't like about the purchase of sale of GLoomis to shimano a few years back, was that they put a halt to their blank sales. But the upside to the purchase is that they took the tech and put it in their lower end rods.. Eg.. the clarus, it's a great rod that's underpriced, but handles like a loomis. Don't get me wrong, I think Sages are great and work well for others.. Just not for me.

21 sages and counting they work great for me, although I clearly have a problem! I fish over 200 days a year and have not broken one in years, but its all how you treat them. Every rod out there will break.

congratulations. But there's a reason why sage discontinued 3113 and Gloomis are still manufacturing and selling their 11 footer model.

congratulations. But there's a reason why sage discontinued 3113 and Gloomis are still manufacturing and selling their 11 footer model.

Ya, because Sage is making enough off their fly rod production and the market is flooded with medium grade silex/baitcater rods. They now offer a "value added" product at a premium = more return per rod sold then previously.

A large business will never admit to 'making enough' money, truth is that it's only a premium in BC because this was the only place where it was selling in decent numbers. To prove my point, when they discontinued 3113, they redirected all remaining stock to BC because it was the only place that heavily preferred 11' Mooching blanks, even though standard everywhere else is 12'6 /13' for a PIN.. Also, $350 for a used 3113 finished rod, isn't what I would consider a 'Premium' PIN rod. But one thing to consider, Sage realized that a model is only popular in a specific region, so what do they do? They discontinue it... Shimano comes out with a variation of the technium that is specific to 'west coast' only aka BC.. To me, that shows the loyalty a company has to their customers. But hey as I stated earlier, everyone has their preferences. I just don't think a discontinued blank is worth the hype, especially since most companies, including Sage don't even use the outdated technics that was used to build 3113. I am not denying it may have been 'the best' back in the day for that type of action, but everyone likes a different action of rod. What maybe the 'best' in some eyes, isn't for others. Some ppl like a lot of backbone, others prefer a noodly rod. So to say a particular model is 'the best' is a bold statement.

For what its worth, apparently G loomis rods aren't what they used to be either...Gary left the company when he found that the rods were no longer up to his standard of quality because the executives were trying to cut costs......or at least that's what I heard.

what's your ballpark budget for a high end rod?

handle a few rods and get one built the way you want...fuji ti guides, reel seat postioned where you prefer, etc...the craftmanship will be better than any factory rod, sage, loomis or otherwise

batson makes some pretty good blanks

what's your ballpark budget for a high end rod?

handle a few rods and get one built the way you want...fuji ti guides, reel seat postioned where you prefer, etc...the craftmanship will be better than any factory rod, sage, loomis or otherwise

batson makes some pretty good blanks

All of the above!! I certainly agree about Batson blanks, having built up a few. If you are on the lower mainland check out Valley Custom Rods in Chilliwack. Great service and quality components.

Back