cell coverage offshore

nedarb2

Hey guys,
I have an iPhone 4 with telus and when I went off shore to swiftsure ( actually everywhere between there and renfrew) I was unable to get cell service. My friend on bell who was out with me had full bars on the water with his. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm surprised i couldnt even roam :s
i checked my setting and as far as I can tell I have roaming turned on

Telus works 25 miles offshore of Tofino and probably Ukee too

I've got an iPhone 4 with Telus. 25 miles offshore I have perfect coverage EXCEPT there is a coverage black hole off of Swiftsure. Seems to me around the J buoy it was sketchy and on the north end it was ziltch.

If Bell works then Telus should as I thought they used the same towers!?

Don't think that can be true -in quotsino to 2 miles seaward of Kains island all you can pick-up is Telus. Nootka had Nada last time I was there

hmm something must be wrong with my phone, time for a trip to telus.
Thanks for the input!

I can't think of any towers on the WCVI other than those in Uki/Tofino so it is reasonable to assume unless you've got some line of site those tower(s) then coverage would be poor (or maybe in towards Sooke from Juan de Fuca entrance?). I used to roam when fishing Swiftsure but not this year...weird.

Take a look at this coverage map: http://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html and do a search on Tofino and then zoom out. On the coast, there are towers in Tofino, Uki and then not again until Sooke.

Bell and Telus do indeed share -- more than just towers, they in fact share their networks in these rural/remote deployments so coverage will be exactly the same with both providers in these remote locals (in urban settings, they have their own stuff). Rogers have their own network deployments.

For your iPhone 4, the external cases etc... cause quite a bit of signal loss -- about 3-6dB which is equivalent to over half the RF energy. The best cell phones to use are the ones that still have an external antenna -- either built into the top or oddly enough, one that extends up -- otherwise, the built in ones tend to get covered by your hand.

Now, if you really want to get reliable cell coverage offshore get one of these: http://www.wpsantennas.com/801201-w...900mhzcellularpcsbi-directionalamplifier.aspx plus the appropriate antenna for Telus or Rogers. It will boost your cell phone's output from about a half watt to 3 watts and will keep you connected reliably much further away from the cell site.

Telus works 25 miles offshore of Tofino and probably Ukee too
X2 :)

Year in and year out... I have always had cell phone from Pugest Sound - all the way to just north of Tofino. Just north of Tofino "zero" until past Estevan then it comes and goes, "offshore"! I have recieved and made calls in Esperanza (to Centre Island) and outside Kains Island areas; with no signal being recieved at all anywhere in Nootka Sound itself.

Port Renfrew, I always have coverage; in the Strait of Juan de Fuca... which is why I have Sprint. AT&T and most of the others will not pick-up a signal, even on roam. When I turn north and/or enter Port San Juan it turns to Canada roam. Needless to say, I tell everyone if they want to call - call while in the Strait.

FYI... Since, starting to take my laptop, I have found several spots on WCVI that have open WiFi access! :)

It's the I4

No cell coverage anywhere in Renfrew area. In fact I get no coverage until I am well into sooke heading towards victoria.

All my previous cell phones got coverage out in the bay at Renfrew. Had a spot where I always had coverage where I could touch base with the family.

No more with the I phone......sucks

It's the I4

No cell coverage anywhere in Renfrew area. In fact I get no coverage until I am well into sooke heading towards victoria.

All my previous cell phones got coverage out in the bay at Renfrew. Had a spot where I always had coverage where I could touch base with the family.

No more with the I phone......sucks

I do know different carriers don't even recieve signals in certain areas, even in roam! I actually have coverage throughout Port San Juan. Inside the bay it does switch to roam, so all my family check-ins are before I enter the bay. Which is why I have stuck with Sprint over all these years - the coverage on the water, offshore is the best of the bunch.

My daughter will agree with "I phone....sucks"! She got an I phone a few months ago... and has hated it from day one!

I have an I-phone and have no coverage in Renfrew either. It has nothing to do with the carrier only the phone itself. I-phones are digital and digital only. There is great coverage offshore at Swiftsure and even places in town but that's because there are only analog towers in that area for now. That is why your batteries run out quicker out there with older analog phones because they are always on and working. Until the towers are upgraded it will be an issue for all 3G or 4G phones........crappy! I hate having to take my wife's pink cell phone when I'm fishing offshore .....lol

Back