Caution: Steveston Marine and Hardware

Beaudog

Just thought I'd post my experience here in case others may be thinking about dealing with this company.

During the Vancouver Boat Show, I bought a Mustang inflatable online during their boat show special sale. Paid for both the Mustang and the shipping ($18.00 for Canada Post Parcel Post from Richmond to Victoria) with PayPal as the website is setup to only take PayPal, then nothing....My order showed as pending and never updated. A week later, I sent an email asking about it and got a brief email saying "they were just getting their stock back from the boat show and it would soon be shipping". Sure enough, order status changes from "pending" to "processing".

Two weeks later still says "processing" so I sent another email asking about the status, this time no response, no nothing. Simply bad customer service. Possibly others have had good service but that is not my experience. I will go out of my way not to deal with these guys again.

Same thing happened to me with a lightbar I thought I purchased at the boat show . Never been back

Vancouver needs a Trotac or Harbour Chandler. They'd kill it here. I've never seen a more disfunctional company than SM in my life. Same **** another year. Stuff is disorganized, people don't give a ****, same item two different prices, crap thrown all over the place, stock that looks like its been there since 1959, ask for help I'm too busy, nobody seems to be an expert on electronics which is a major requirement, walk around and nobody will ever ask you if you need anything....but other than that they're ok.......not. I miss WestMarine and Nikka or whatever they were called in Steveston.

SM Vancouver is consistently the worst retail experience I have ... every time I think they can't do any worse, they out do themselves. If there was a Vancouver option and if they weren't halfway between my house and my office, I would never shop there. Nothing would make me happier than for either Harbour Chandler or LFS Marine to open in Vancouver.

I usually have no good things to say about steveston marine but I got a regular mustang life jacket for Christmas and returned it and got two inflatables. They were on sale for a real good price and the sales person was helpful that day. That went well, but most of the time their sales staff are completely useless.

I’m not quite sure how a company can be that successful when they have such horrible customer service and multiple locations. They’ve been around for a long time so they must be doing something right for someone. Maybe the sailboat crowd gets a better vibe from them

Place is awful. Staff are useless. Have been told multiple times in there “I don’t know that’s not my section”. Needed to buy some stainless hardware other week since it was close to marina so went in a found what I needed...
Noticed they’re charging $34.99 for 1L of prawn oil. Was $12.99 at Berrys. Scotty puller at SM... $749.99, anywhere else... $499.99:confused:

I will pop in there as it's on my way home, but I don't dare ask any questions. The store in Vancouver is pretty much a disaster

Mike

At least its an option if you live in Vancouver with so many storefronts closing these days.
Not many tackle shops I go to. I will forever give berry's a few hundred dollars every time I drive by there on my way to a job site haha.

I'm thinking their on-line system must have different people running it - while the van store is a definite **** show (and has been for MANY years) since moving back to the island i've ordered several things on-line and had no issues with reasonably quick shipping

Back