CAUTION REGARDING DOWNRIGGERS

ReelAffair

THERE HAVE BEEN SEVERAL SETS OF DOWNRIGGERS STOLEN FROM CHEANUH AND PEDDERDBAY

IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR DOWNRIGGERS AND THE PERSON SELLING THEM SOUNDS SUSPICIOUS ...CALL THE POLICE

I just had a set offered to me on this Forum...

I hope they are legit.

any one no any way to tell???

boat-1.jpg

the person offering them has 3 posts....I would definately ask questions...

quote:Originally posted by cedarman

I just had a set offered to me on this Forum...

I hope they are legit.

any one no any way to tell???

boat-1.jpg

Why Scotty doesn't put serial numbers on them is beyond me!!
I would suggest once you make your purchase, get an engraver (couple bucks)and engrave your driver's licence number somewhere on the main body in a descrete place not visible to casual observation. Then if they are stolen, watch for "downrigger sale" adds and go look. If you find your stolen downriggers being offered, just say you'll think about it, go to your car and call the police.

If you engrave your drivers license number on the boom, do it large. Removing it would leave an obviously suspicious scuff from the file.
Engravers are cheap, or use a Dremel tool.

I know - they could replace the boom, but most of these twerps are not into that much effort.

Or you can spray paint them purple or something nobody will steal those!!
:D

JUST FISHEN'

Remove top, counter/winder, remove pulley, remove SS plate, engrave # on area under the SS plate, reassemble. Now put another mark, like 2-3 notches in an area that is visable without dissasembly, ie on the area beside the pivots for the lid!
This won't keep them from being stolen, but it will make it easier to prove!

When they robbed Cheanuh I was told that they stole from a total of 8 boats and that they also stole the camera that was mounted to the side of the building by the office. This was told to me on Friday night when we got there to set up our trailers. I didn't put my boat in the water till the next morning and after hearing about people getting ripped off I put my downriggers in the Van just to be safe. Heard rummors it was a crackhead from sooke looking for a quick buck for drugs. If thats the case the police just might know him or be able to find him .... probably not one of the sharpest if you know what I mean.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

quote:Originally posted by Sea Ranger

When they robbed Cheanuh I was told that they stole from a total of 8 boats and that they also stole the camera that was mounted to the side of the building by the office. This was told to me on Friday night when we got there to set up our trailers. I didn't put my boat in the water till the next morning and after hearing about people getting ripped off I put my downriggers in the Van just to be safe. Heard rummors it was a crackhead from sooke looking for a quick buck for drugs. If thats the case the police just might know him or be able to find him .... probably not one of the sharpest if you know what I mean.

And remember....Keep your tip up!!!

They will still have the video even if they took the camera. Hope they get them. They better hope that the police get them and not some other thugs or there feet might end up floating up on shore. [xx(]

Cheers

Also.... Buy new. Why save a couple hundred and take a chance. Get new ones with the life time warranty. Manufactures need to only transfer the warranty if an invoice was passed on. This should be for all items.

Rob

Off the Scotty site. Buy new.

All downriggers have a lifetime warranty against defective workmanship and materials when used for fishing. The lifetime warranty extends to the original owner only. Damage and failure to function as a result of home servicing may void the warranty Scotty offers.

Please do not ship any product back to Scotty Fishing and Marine without first contacting our service department at 1-800-214-0141.

Back