Catching on Braid vs Mono

So does the braid stay in the clip? I switched to braid 3 years ago but always use a mono top shot because I was told I had to.
Tried braid in the clip once - didn't work for me. I use mono of 30-40# long enough to run a plug at lest 30' from the clip. IMO this last 30' of line takes most of the abuse & is easy to change as needed.

Braid with 30 foot mono top shot. No question, but doesn't keep the fish buttoned if you're using faster action rods. Always used the double uni without problems, but have been using the FG knot, with the method in that vid clip up on page 2, more this year and liking it too. Nicer profile on the FG, as that uni sometimes hangs in the guides,

fb

So does the braid stay in the clip? I switched to braid 3 years ago but always use a mono top shot because I was told I had to.
Everyone says that braid doesn't stay in the clip and I am not sure where everyone gets that from as they couldn't be more wrong. yes you have to be careful going down on the rigger it takes some getting use to and you'll probably pop the clip for the first few times. I bury the the braid right to the back just a millimetre or 2 from the very back of the clip, and you should be set, I fish year round and will fish over 200ft on the rigger regularly in the winter with no issues. The other thing to watch for is if your using scents if you get it on the clip the braid will pop out quite easily.

Everyone has there own preference though, so really whatever works the best for you is the best way. My dad used always used braid so thats what I was used to from growing up using it and it works for us, so I have never had a reason to switch

Everyone says that braid doesn't stay in the clip and I am not sure where everyone gets that from as they couldn't be more wrong. yes you have to be careful going down on the rigger it takes some getting use to and you'll probably pop the clip for the first few times. I bury the the braid right to the back just a millimetre or 2 from the very back of the clip, and you should be set, I fish year round and will fish over 200ft on the rigger regularly in the winter with no issues. The other thing to watch for is if your using scents if you get it on the clip the braid will pop out quite easily.

Everyone has there own preference though, so really whatever works the best for you is the best way. My dad used always used braid so thats what I was used to from growing up using it and it works for us, so I have never had a reason to switch
What weight do you use?

Mono all the way just like the give, Used Ultra green for the longest time and that line for sure has major stretch, now few years on Berkley Pro spec 40lb
way more rigged and feels like it has a lot less stretch... used braid way back in my river days and man it killed my shoulder compared to mono, for the river
just couldn't fish with it, will try braid out one day on the ocean maybe a game changer..

Not salmon related....but.... braid with sturgeon fishing is the ultimate! (not sure if any old times still use mono for dino's)

The sometimes very soft bite and the hard hook set would be impossible with mono. I run braid on all reels used for salmon in the Fraser too.

Just my two cents worth!:p

I tried it with 20# - the stuff you use sounds like it holds OK - I clamp to where it takes a 15# or so fish to pop the clip as I like to wind-down pretty hard when reeling-in slack when in the clip.

I first started fishing braid line 30 years ago for steelhead. I found when you got a knot in your line the forgiveness of time was not in your favor vs mono. From all the casting and retrieving the smaller diameter braid burnt the guides caused groves in eyelets from friction.

I first started fishing braid line 30 years ago for steelhead. I found when you got a knot in your line the forgiveness of time was not in your favor vs mono. From all the casting and retrieving the smaller diameter braid burnt the guides caused groves in eyelets from friction.

if you really been using it that long ago then the only few that come to mind was spiderwire and berkly whiplash

rods with Sic guides where the only ones recommended back then so doubt any low priced or middle of the road roads would have been braid friendly in them days ....

Thirty years ago we had mastered fishing and no no longer have the correct tools for catching. Hooks that work are no longer available, and disposable paint jobs on lures ,and rods not suitable for 21 century .I will never buy a used rod .I may have to start using braid again as the sport diminishes .take away what works and fish are safer and gives us oppertunity to target slot size. I must evolve. Plastic is a thing of the past, now we use micro fibers. fair chase.:confused::mad::eek:;)

Remember Don's poppy lure line . up and down with steel wears on you guides? I do love the finness of the CR pools. winning.

Back