Cape Lazo Coho

Striper Sniper

Anybody have any idea when the Coho will show up at Cape Lazo? If I am not mistaken they were there for shore fishing last year at this time however I have yet to see any sign of them..... No shore birds, no sign of bait and no fish jumping....:( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

SS I checked my records and it looks like middle of August for last year. I didn’t try fishing for them before than so that date may not be right. Last year things were late. This year fish could be early if you judge it by DFO and the sockeye reports. Might be an idea to do a test fish for them. GLG

They should be here now, but they're not! This week there has been just the very odd one caught from the shore. Nothing at all showing. The two fish that I know have been caught were both hatchery. Maybe in a week or two things will pick up.

Thanks guys, I will keep on checking and report back when I have something. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Hey Sniper, did I not see you last Saturday evening as I was heading out of the docks at Pacific Playgrounds? I was the guy with the Hardtop Striper with the blue bottom. Maybe not but your boat just look fimiliar hmmm..:D[8D]

I've been keeping an eye out, but haven't seen much sign from shore in pt holmes. I've also heard of a few caught at singing sands. Last summer SS was hitting lots of big springs at this time, and Pt holmes started in august. In area 14-11, 2 Hatchery coho may be kept now and 0 springs, and after sept 1, 2 coho (one can be wild), and 2 springs may be kept.

Hey S36, wasn't me....... lots of similiar boats out there though. I have never launched on the East side, I figure if you have a Striper, go hard or stay at home..... I only fish the West Side. Man am I going to get it now......... :D:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

SS How dare you. East verse West - that’s fighting words.[V]
Those West guys can’t get a fish with a fifty-dollar bill.
Us East guys are born fisherman.
GLG;)

Hey GLG, I have seen the West side where a $100 bill didn't even get you a nibble...:( I just am not familiar with the East side, yet.....:) SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

SS your on my list of contacts when the fishing around here picks up. Will give you all the details if you want them. Most locals seem to think that when the springs show up here they have zipper lips. Not so as 2 years ago we slayed them right near the harbour. Last year the coho were hot near the red bell. I was breaking in a new guy and we nailed 17 in one day. We then went to Port Alberni and picked up a couple of 25 # springs. It was like a well-oiled machine when we played and landed the fish. Practice makes perfect. There is fair spring fishing right now right here (Kitty) but the seals will get you every time. It’s hard to go thru all the motions just to feed a seal. GLG

Hey GLG, thank you for your kind offer, hughly appreciated. I moved to Comox a year and a half ago and do not know the local spots at all. I have fished the West side for over 30 years so I have been sticking to what I am familiar with.....:) Given the cost of fuel these days, something a little closer will be well received. I will be heading out to Shearwater with SeaWolf from Aug 5th to the 14th and would love to hook up with you when I get back. Maybe we can launch the Striper for the first time at Comox. :D:D SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

SS will be happy to show you the spots when you get back. Should be some coho around but the best time for springs are the first two weeks of September. That’s if BC Hydro doesn’t screw up this year. You will find that the radio chatter is very helpful with location, depth and gear. You should also learn the BigQ as the fishing can be great at that time of year. GLG

Striper, I was headed into Courtenay along the Dyke road about 1:00 pm today , was that you headed for Comox with THE boat?
Don

Hey Don, nope she is sitting next to the house. I went to Lazo this morning for 30 minutes or so and nothing, no bait, no birds and no sign of fish...... yet. :( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Worst year I have ever known. Where are the salmon? I've usually caught at least a dozen coho by now from the beach at SS Road. I have only had one coho on briefly before it slipped the hook. Apparently, not much happening further north either.:( I haven't caught a salmon yet this year, SAD. :(:(

Any updates from the Lazo area? I see a few boats off the bell bouy in the evening lately. Thanks in advance.;) eman

Eaglemaniac... Don’t know about the bell bouy. SS Road is slow. Heard that only 4 clipped Coho fish heads have hit the DFO bucket in the last week. Everything late this year or what? If you go out let us know how you do.
GLG

Does anybody have anything to report........ I have checked a couple of times since getting back from Shearwater and nada. :( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

quote:Originally posted by Striper Sniper

Does anybody have anything to report........ I have checked a couple of times since getting back from Shearwater and nada. :( SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

Hey SS,

I was down at the marina breakwater today and saw a coho swim by. Does that count as a report?:D:D
It should happen soon anyway.[^]
Hope your freezer's full.
Cheers,
Tortuga

Back