CANUCKS'- 2010

No matter how you look at it, it as a blind side head shot.

The elbow was tight to the body as well as points SG mentioned... Seabrook messed up.

What next?... Plexiglass sliding deck door cause I keep walking into it and it might break one day? :eek:

Go watch some of the first Rock 'em Sock 'ems now
41604_71615442433_2566472_n.jpg

:D

Watching "the hit" in slo mo, you can see that Raffi lines up Seabrook, and because Seabrook is turning to look behind him, his left elbow moves back, so Raffi's shoulder was pointed to his head instead of the shoulder.
No suspension, and I think they got it right this time!

Now where's my broom?

It was a borderline hit, otherwise we all wouldn't be talking about it. If Seabrooke had been injured they would have looked at the hit differently. Regardless it was a penalty and cost us a goal. It was the second time Raffi was in the box in the game. We won the first 2 games without that clown running around taking stupid penalties. Without Malhotra winning faceoffs our vaunted penalty kill looks rather ordinary. Stay out of the box!!!!
Put Hodgson back in for good measure, that way Torres can't take any penalties.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't wish anyone getting "...crippled" in any game and I don't believe for a minute that that was Torres's plan either.

If I was the coach I'd have him right back at it doing the same thing he was hired to do in Game 4, with one caveat: I'd remind him to keep his head up.

I'd also disagree that this incident was anything like the Getzlaf hit on Hammy.

Big, big game tonight!

During the Flyers game last night they were discussing it. It was a bit of a "split" but even Kerry Fraser said it wasn't suspendable but he would have given him 5 minutes. The other guys on the panel were discussing and there are 4 criteria in a hit the NHL looks at.....that hit by Torres only fulfilled 2 of the points.

I would say the most accurate observation would be that if Raffi hadn't made the bonehead hit that got him suspended that the Seabrooke hit would have been far less of an issue. I think the fact this happened on his first game back raised eyebrows.

If anyone wants to see an example of a "head shot" with "intent to injure"......have a look at Kunitz's elbow on Simon Gagne last night.

If he doesn't get anything.........then Torres didn't deserve anything either.

I think as profisher stated above....a big part of the scrutiny is that Torres was just back from a suspension. I think Seabrook is upset because Raffi smoked him 3 times. :p

The guy's an APE on SKATES, think what you want, I probably been watching hockey longer than you been alive!
My coach had his neck broken from the same sort of cheap shot!

The guy's an APE on SKATES, think what you want, I probably been watching hockey longer than you been alive!
My coach had his neck broken from the same sort of cheap shot!

He's a hard hittin forward......PLENTY of them in the league.....just as there are hard hitting defensemen. Doesn't make him an APE on skates or anyone for that matter. There ARE dirty players out there and being a hard hitting 3rd liner is not an anomally in the league.....add to that and Torres has NO history of suspensions in the league until the Eberle hit. Every player out there isn't a finesse player who is a pure goal scorer.....all teams have hard hitting guys. Look at Bolland from CHI who is about to come back.

Wishing someone crippled........whether you've never watched a hockey game or you've been watching it since the original six doesn't make it the right stance to take. Also....with all due respect whether or not you've watched since Beliveau played or not; it doesn't mean you become an authority on a cheap shot; as a matter of fact most people I know who have been watching a LONG time have trouble accepting the "new NHL".

Anyhow.....Labman....not trying to get into a pissing match but if the NHL, and many, many analysts, ex refs all found it no suspendable but worth of a 5 minute major, I'll take their opinion over a bunch of us armchair twats on a fishing forum. ;) :p :cool:

When you are arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn’t doing the same thing.
The 5 minute major would have been fair at least. I do agree that Hockey has gotten softer, Helmuts/Visors/Goalie Masks, but he's a trough back to the Hunter/Semenko era.
Okay, cripple was a tad harsh, how about, bruised and slightly bent!

When you are arguing with an idiot, make sure the other person isn’t doing the same thing.
The 5 minute major would have been fair at least. I do agree that Hockey has gotten softer, Helmuts/Visors/Goalie Masks, but he's a trough back to the Hunter/Semenko era.

Haha......I am okay with the "bruised and bent".

Believe me.....I don't think it deserved a 2 minute.....it should have been 5 or 5 plus the game.

Unfortunately....there are a few things to look at....the puck was right there at Seabrooks stick, he was facing Raffi, Torres didn't leave his feet nor throw an elbow, had not made a stride since the faceoff dot....and Seabrook got caught with his head down in a vulnerable spot.

Should Torres had pulled up.....ya....maybe......but this is also playoff hockey and if you found a 3rd line hard checking forward on any other team in the NHL I don't think you would have seen the bulk of them pulling up.

At the very least.....now that holmes is in hiding this at least gives us all something to banter about inbetween games.

This is funny. You're advocating the same thing you're originally up in arms about....I'm confused. Hockey is a tough game, you've got to keep you're head up. Torres is just taking the body just like you're taught in bantam. There was no elbow, no jumping just a clean hit. I think the NHL knows what they are trying to cut down on and the Torres hit didn't fall into that category, end of story.

I hope you're pulling for Torres and the Canucks tonight.

I have watched the Torres hit repeatedly and I cant see what all the fuss is about. A solid shoulder to body check with Seabrook trying to control the puck at his feet.Torres is shorter then Seabrook,Seabrook had his head lowered and Torres body checked upper body mass, he didnt go for the head,he checked the body. To go for the head Torres would have to have raised his arm/elbow,he didnt,watch it again.If IF sEABROOK HADNT OF FALLEN TO THE ICE after the checkwould there still be a commotion? No. The ref had to penalize him to justify the commotion,2 min good call,thats the way the ref saw it. Also no suspension,thats the way the NHL saw it too.

This is funny. You're advocating the same thing you're originally up in arms about....I'm confused. Hockey is a tough game, you've got to keep you're head up. Torres is just taking the body just like you're taught in bantam. There was no elbow, no jumping just a clean hit. I think the NHL knows what they are trying to cut down on and the Torres hit didn't fall into that category, end of story.

I hope you're pulling for Torres and the Canucks tonight.
Most definatley for the Nucks!
Have been since the mid 70s, and in the 80s, when I was in Calgary, cheering for them in some pretty tough Bars!

I guarantee if roles were reversed and one of the Hawk tough guys put the same hit on a Canuck, not to mention one of the Sisters, you guys would all be up in arms.

I guarantee if roles were reversed and one of the Hawk tough guys put the same hit on a Canuck, not to mention one of the Sisters, you guys would all be up in arms.

We were.....last year........Eager and Ladd.........both got nothing more than penalties and the puck wasn't even in the feet of Kesler and Rypien when they got hit.

Juandeone.....have you seen the hit? Hit with the body....no feet leaving the ground.....no elbow....coming straight on to Seabrook......Brook had his down and the puck at his feet (I see it pretty much if not actually on his stick and you can hear it too).....ya he could have pulled up but again this is playoff hockey and the hit was deemed legit to no suspension but as I think a lot of us have said....a penalty may have been justfied.

and I thought some Canucks fans were bad...their jumping ship down in Sh#$cago and the series isn't even over...... "YET":p

http://blackhawkup.com/2011/04/19/so-do-our-minutes-hasten-to-their-end-game-4-tonight/#more-4698

hmmmm, Juandeone take a look back at my post 952 and click the links from last year...then you might want to rethink your postion in your last post..

Pippen..don't remember a penalty being even called on the Kesler hit:confused:...

should be a very interesting game tonight...hope it doesn't get out of hand either way..
The 600lb gorilla(Scott) gets in on their backend for Seabrook, can that guy even skate:confused:

Kesler and Burrows to light it up tonight, 4-2 Vancouver, I'll be listening to Shorty again on 1040 at work :(

HEADS UP ON THE ICE

Pippen..don't remember a penalty being even called on the Kesler hit:confused:...

I wasn't sure......didn't recall but was "hoping" that at the very least there was a 2 minute call.

should be a very interesting game tonight...hope it doesn't get out of hand either way..
The 600lb gorilla(Scott) gets in on their backend for Seabrook, can that guy even skate:confused:

He'll be nothing more than a pylon to skate around. I too hope it doesn't get our of hand as Bolland is back in......if the Hawks are gonna lose, they should lose with a bit of class which I would expect nothing less of with Toews leading the team. Mind you.....Toews didn't make the best statements yesterday inferring some sort of retribution at some point.

and I thought some Canucks fans were bad...their jumping ship down in Sh#$cago and the series isn't even over...... "YET":p

http://blackhawkup.com/2011/04/19/so-do-our-minutes-hasten-to-their-end-game-4-tonight/#more-4698

Wow.....there is one intelligent sportswriter/columnist.

Thanks for this insight.........Mr. Currell;
The Blackhawks had to do two things to win this series: they needed to conceive of a plan to beat the Canucks; and they needed to execute that plan.
Or this bold statement......"franchise goaltenders"??? It's called a goaltender getting hot quite often too....Cam Ward was a rookie, Niemi was a 'nobody'....look at Leighton as Phillie was right there last year. Sure....I'll give you Fleury, Brodeur....I guess maybe Osgood depending on what you define as franchise(however it was he AND Hasek who took them there)....the Ducks did it LARGELY with Hiller and NOT Giguere. :rolleyes:
However: it is my contention that championship teams are built down the middle of the ice: goaltenders and centermen. Look back through the Stanley Cup’s history and you will see that there is a franchise goaltender and a team-leading center on nearly all of those clubs.

Add to it....this comment and this guy has no clue. The only series that IS a lock is the DET series. I don't see LA winning.....but the NSH/ANA is a toss up with NSH looking good. Anyone making a comment like that is doin' nothing more than stirring the pot. :rolleyes:
It is a regrettable epitaph for this 2010-11 Blackhawks squad to be swept by a Canucks team so clearly headeded to be on the unpleasant end of a second-round blow-out; but that, I fear, is its destiny.

Just to clarify as well.....I don't think the Canucks are on some sort of "cake walk" to the CUP. Whoever they may play in the next round....is going to be tough. If we end up playing LA, they are going to be fired up after beating out San Jose. If it is NSH.....they are playing well....hitting hard and Rinne is on super steroids of some kind. ANA would be tough but they just don't have the goaltending right now and as long as Lou plays well I think we would win that series.

Back