Cannon Electric Downriggers

Finished Business

Stopped at the Cannon booth at the SBS last week, and since, I have been regretting my stop. Their latest electric downriggers are nothing short of AWESOME.

Before I get into it, Scotty's are wicked. The majority of us them and swear by them. Maybe its the great service, a local product, or that it is just a good product that we can rely on. That being said...I was at the Cannon Booth checking out their latest and greatest. And it seemed to be exactly that, the Greatest.
Aside from its tank like construction, it has a hard plastic shell, fully sealed from the elements. Unlike the flop top Scotty housing. The Cannons are a brass gear-driven down rigger. Scotty's are reliable, but, in my short fishing history I have on more than one occasion, had to trouble shoot a Scotty due to a slipped belt, or wire brush corrosion from the electrical terminals due to moisture in the housing. Both times the ball was at depth (over 100') and bringing it back up manually was by no means fun.

Ever had your Scotty wire tangle on the spool? It can still happen with the Cannon, but for $30 you can buy an extra spool that is very easily replaceable with your tangled spool.

Now the technical stuff....

You can connect a Uni-troll Transducer to a Cannon Downrigger. This is for their bottom-tracking function. Once you have your sounder plugged into your rigger, the downrigger will monitor the depth of your ball when you are fishing shallow or around structure. You can set a buffer between the ball and the ocean floor, say 5 feet. As you are trolling the computer in the downrigger automatically adjusts the height of your ball in accordance to the bottom. Always staying 5 feet off the floor and more than likely never losing a downrigger ball again.

The downrigger computer can also be programmed to remember up to 10 favorite depths, or it will remember the depth you were last fishing. So with the push a button you can walk away from the downrigger (or continue playing your fish) and the rigger will automatically retrieve or return the ball to your preset depth setting.

There are a number of other features the Cannon has, unlike any other rigger on the market. It really made a Scotty look like an up and down winch, and not much more. The kicker is the Cannon's are x2 the price at about $1100-1200 each.

Is anyone running a Cannon Downrigger? or do Scotty's have a monopoly on this market. The Cannon Rep said he sold quite a few downriggers to Canadians, but I also got the impression he thought I likely knew each one of those Canadians LOL.

I think they are worth a look for the serious fisherman. Retrieval rates are fast, and they look to be bulletproof. The company was bought by Johnson Outdoors and major attention was paid to upgrading these downriggers to make them one of, if not the best on the water.

I just got 3 used Scotty's for my boat but when it comes time for a new upgrade, I may seriously consider these Cannons...there's a ton of other features I didn't cover on the bottom right side of the link provided below...

Cheers

FB

http://store.cannondownriggers.com/products/390764/Digi-Troll_10_TS

I gather you probably have to use s/s wire to run that bottom tracking feature? They are expensive for sure, but like many things in life - you get what you pay for.

According to the Rep they work with braid or wire for bottom tracking.

But another feature. Some say hokus-pokus....but many are believers in voltage. The Cannon downrigger also comes with the "Black-Box" system integrated into the downrigger. I believe you can even set the voltage you want to travel through the line. Of course braid would void this feature but if its something they are willing to put into a downrigger of this quality, one would wager a guess that voltage can make a difference in your catch ratio. (but please lets not start that debate again lol)

Im not sure if they will be at the Vancouver Boat Show, but if so, I will likely stop by the booth again. Seeing them in person you can tell they are built tough. No missing covers from cruising down the highway that's for sure.

Nice, yes good idea not to start that voltage thing again...that was a gong show.

Cannon's best feature is 'power down' and it really is great especially for someone like me who's always lowering the gear too fast.

As to the automatic monitoring of bottom do you have someone standing on the rods to adjust them accordingly as the bottom profile changes?All day long?

It sounds very much to me like something a person doesn't need.

Nikka used to carry Cannon now they don't-wonder why?

It really made a Scotty look like an up and down winch, and not much more.

That's what a downrigger is-monitoring water temperature and cooking eggs for brekkie don't count for **** when you're fish WCVI.

Hmmm adjust line tension or replace a downrigger ball and release clip because my attention to the depth lapsed.....I'll tighten up the rod and direct you to a great deal on cannonballs LOL.

Valid point though, not much use for bottom-tracking on WCVI. It would be handy for when that fish hits, and you aren't sure the depth you were at. Push a button and it goes right down to its last setting. Its pretty much a hands free downrigger. Seeing it in person, even the high cost isn't that much of a deterrent, its a quality unit.

I've been using the Tournament Series Cannon Mag 20's for years. Love Them for many of the reasons you noted.
Pretty much Bullet Proof, have yet to have any issues. Grabbed three, and still have the "spare" in it's original box.
VERY Much like the gears, and the drop under power.
All in All, a Very Fine product IMHO.

Perhaps Charlie will chime in on this one. I believe he runs three of the same on his rig...

Cheers,
Nog

FB: Before you sink a chunk-o-change into the new generation of Cannon's - go online and read the REVIEWS!

I did, and it sufficed to totally turn me off of these (likely offshore built) new units. The reviews of the new Cannon's are in a word: Horrid!

Because I have personal issues with Scotty, I too was looking for an alterative and brought back a set of Walker electrics from Cabela's in Seattle last December. Once I got them home and assembled them (they didn't have one set up in the store) I realized what a POS they were. I sent them back. There is no service or support in Western Canada for Walker's - nothing.

Fortunately, I snagged a set of previous generation Cannon's in great shape (were else but Used Vic) and am looking forward to using them.

how can you have personal issues with a down rigger? we all run em?????

FB: Before you sink a chunk-o-change into the new generation of Cannon's - go online and read the REVIEWS!

I did, and it sufficed to totally turn me off of these (likely offshore built) new units. The reviews of the new Cannon's are in a word: Horrid!

Because I have personal issues with Scotty, I too was looking for an alterative and brought back a set of Walker electrics from Cabela's in Seattle last December. Once I got them home and assembled them (they didn't have one set up in the store) I realized what a POS they were. I sent them back. There is no service or support in Western Canada for Walker's - nothing.

Fortunately, I snagged a set of previous generation Cannon's in great shape (were else but Used Vic) and am looking forward to using them.

This is the exact opposite we heard at from the Cannon guy's. They apparently went through some rough times and have come out of that. The new company that own's them dumped a ***** load of money into them and they apparently have fixed and dealt with a lot of the complaints.

I haven't researched them much at all. I have looked at them but have never used them personally. They do look interesting for sure. FB's observations are very valid compared to other downriggers on the market. It's like Honda ouboards.........the only complaint is the cost lol.

I agree the new generation cannons are sweet units.........The deal breaker for me besides price is only a one year warranty, even on the high end models.

I'll be like 99% of all fishermen I know and stick with my 2106 Scottys.

FB one other thing I believe you ddn't mention and Dave from silverstreak was telling me, when paired with hummingbird it will auto pull up if you come up shollow, on a shelf or what have you, you can control your depths from the sounder at the helm(cool), and you can set it on a mode where it slowly varies depth on either side, kinda like trolling zig zag,only you are covering water column.

sound like cool units, personally Im no ready to make the jump, scotty's are working, they seem nice

Lots of pros with cannon riggers.

1) bottom tracking (think winter springs trying to bounce bottom - now hands free)
2) control them using your depth finder. OH bait at 50 ft push your fish finder and the rigger is coming up (or going down)
3) built in black box
4) temperature readings AT THE CANNONBALL. Who cares about he temp on the surface find the temp breaks in the water column.

Probably some others too. That said one major con - its not a Scotty. I'll take $600 and lifetime warranty over $1,200 take your chances any day. Just because it looks bullet proof doesn't mean it will never break.

One major downfall I can see with this automatic bottom tracking is watching the rods wiggle everytime they move up and down? All day long it will be like you are getting hits. How many fish would be missed because you just leave it on the rigger? How much time will be wasted when a rookie grabs the rod and pops it off thinking it was a hit? I like it when rods thump from bites not from a auto downrigger setting. This feature would prob drive me nuts.

I think you'd appreciate it when that same rookie drove over a reef and your riggers were bringing the gear up before anyone on board realized what was about to happen.

Pros and cons for sure it would take getting used to and even tho the downriggers auto adjust themselves a crew member is still going to have to tighten down on the rods all the time. You'd need a low drag setting too if you make it too tight and the rigger decides to lower I guess your popping off the clip.

I think it's neat but are you paying for a quality downrigger or all the fancy gimmicks?

I think I would want to go out with someone that has them and has used them for a while to see what they are all about. They do look interesting for sure.

I agree the new generation cannons are sweet units.........The deal breaker for me besides price is only a one year warranty, even on the high end models.

I'll be like 99% of all fishermen I know and stick with my 2106 Scottys.
Cannon Warranty

CANNON® LIMITED LIFETIME WARRANTY

Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc. warrants to the original purchaser that if the accompanying product (see exclusions below) proves to be defective in material or workmanship within the following warranty periods, Johnson Outdoors Inc. will, at its option, either repair or replace same without charge (but no cash refunds will be made):

• The boom, motor, and reels, plus all plastic parts, including but not limited to frames and bases, will be free from defects in materials and workmanship, subject to normal wear and tear, for the original purchaser’s lifetime.
  • All other items will have 1-year limited warranties from the date of original retail purchase, except THE FOLLOWING ITEMS THAT HAVE NO WARRANTY WHATSOEVER: boot covers, clothing, dacron line, rubber bands, swivel lock pin, weights, and wire cable.

This limited warranty may be enforced only by the original purchaser; all subsequent purchasers acquire the product “as is” without any benefit of this limited warranty. Repair or replacement of the product as set forth in this limited warranty shall be the original purchaser’s sole and exclusive remedy and Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc . sole and exclusive liability for breach of this warranty.

EXCLUSIONS
This warranty does not apply in the following circumstances:

• When the product has been connected, installed, combined, altered, adjusted, serviced, repaired, or handled in a manner other than according to the instructions furnished with the product.
  • When the motor housing is opened by anyone other than Cannon® Authorized Service repair personnel.
  • When any defect, problem, loss, or damage has resulted from any accident, misuse, negligence, carelessness, or abnormal use, or from any failure to provide reasonable and necessary maintenance in accordance with the instructions of the owner's manual.

LIMITATION AND EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES AND CERTAIN DAMAGES

THERE ARE NO EXPRESS WARRANTIES OTHER THAN THESE LIMITED WARRANTIES. JOHNSON OUTDOORS MARINE ELECTRONICS, INC. DISCLAIMS LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, AND IN NO EVENT SHALL ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES (EXCEPT ON THE BOOM, MOTOR, REELS, AND ALL PLASTIC PARTS), INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR PARTICULAR PURPOSE, EXTEND BEYOND ONE YEAR FROM THE DATE OF PURCHASE (AND IN THE CASE OF THE BOOT COVERS, CLOTHING, DACRON LINE, RUBBER BANDS, SWIVEL LOCK PIN, WEIGHTS, AND WIRE CABLE, JOHNSON OUTDOORS MARINE ELECTRONICS, INC. DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES). THIS WRITING CONSTITUTES THE ENTIRE AGREEMENT OF THE PARTIES WITH RESPECT TO THE SUBJECT MATTER HEREOF; NO WAIVER OR AMENDMENT SHALL BE VALID UNLESS IN WRITING SIGNED BY JOHNSON OUTDOORS MARINE ELECTRONICS, INC.

Some states do not allow limitations on how long an implied warranty lasts or the exclusion or limitation of consequential damages, so the above limitation or exclusion may not apply to you. This warranty gives you specific legal rights, and you may also have other rights that vary from state to state.

CANNON® SERVICE POLICY

AFTER THE APPLICABLE WARRANTY PERIOD
After the applicable warranty period, or, if one of the above exclusions applies, Cannon® products will be repaired for a charge of parts plus labor. All factory repairs, after the applicable warranty period, carry a 90-Day Limited Warranty, subject to the exclusions and limitations stated above.

TO ENFORCE WARRANTY OR TO OBTAIN REPAIRS AFTER WARRANTY
To obtain warranty service in the U.S., the downrigger or part believed to be defective and the proof of original purchase (including the date of purchase) must be presented to a Cannon® Authorized Service Center or to Cannon®’s factory service center in Mankato, MN. Except as noted below, any charges incurred for service calls, transportation or shipping/freight to/from the Cannon® Authorized Service Center or Cannon®’s factory, labor to haul out, remove, re-install or re-rig products for warranty service, or any similar items are the sole and exclusive responsibility of the purchaser. Warranty service can be arranged by contacting a Cannon® Authorized Service Center or by contacting the factory at 1-800-227-6433 or Fax 1-800-527-4464. If the necessary repairs are covered by the warranty, we will pay the return shipping charges to any destination within the United States. Downriggers purchased outside of the U.S. (or parts of such downriggers) must be returned prepaid with proof of purchase (including the date of purchase and serial number) to any Authorized Cannon® Service Center in the country of purchase.
DO NOT return your Cannon® downrigger or parts to your retailer. Your retailer is not authorized to repair or replace them.

Major parts, such as the motor and main frame, must be returned to Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc. in Mankato, Minnesota, or a Cannon® Authorized Service Center, for repair or replacement. To reduce shipping costs, we suggest removal of loose parts such as the boom and rod holders. Small parts that can be easily removed such as the handle and/or the counter, may be removed from the downrigger and returned for repair or replacement.

Retain your sales receipt! Proof of purchase must accompany product when returned.

Return Address:
Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics, Inc.
Attn: Cannon Returns
121 Power Drive
Mankato, MN 56001

Believe the above takes care of the warranty issue?

I would very “HIGHLY” recommend Cannon Downriggers. I would add, overall owning three Mag 20's since 1995, the Mag 20's - just don't break!

I have had not one manufacture defect - NONE in 17 years. During all those years the only thing replaced is a couple of power cords, due to corrosion. Which, Cannon actually came out with a new watertight connector that now prevents corrosion. Other than that the ONLY thing I have ever done to my three Mag 20’s is rinse them off and spray with WD40. There have been NO maintenance. NO anual service (no service - at all), NO belts breaks or replaced. No pulleys. NO - NOTHING!

? IMHO and experience, both Cannon and Scotty downriggers can be “horrid”! Deends on the model When buying any downrigger, I personally suggest NOT buying anything but the “top of the line”! You really do get what you pay for! :)

If one researches, they will find several of Johnson Outdoor products are indeed manufactured by “third party” companies in other countries (e.g. tents). I am not sure where Johnson and/or Cannon sources their parts and believe some components have to be, and are third party. Plus, I don’t even know where they are even assemble the downriggers and personally don’t care. I am quite sure if one wants to contact them they will provide that information. Probably will find the downriggers are produced (at least assembled) at one of the following locations. Knowing Cannon downriggers fall under their “Marine Electronics” divisions, and knowing Johnson Outdoors has NO “Marine Electronics” divisions other than the U.S. and Canada, I would therefore have to believe the“likely offshore built” would be none other than here:

Johnson Outdoors Canada, Inc.
4180 Harvester Road
Burlington, Ontario
Canada L7L 6B6
Tel: 905-634-0023
Fax: 905-634-0261
Businesses: Marine Electronics, Outdoor Gear, Watercraft

Now could be wrong there and probably am. I never have even looked to see if they are even "Made in the U.S.A; however, I personally believe the “Marine Electronics” division producing all Canon Dwnriggers is done at this location:

Johnson Outdoors Marine Electronics
Minn Kota®, Cannon®
1531 East Madison Avenue
Mankato, MN 56001
Tel: 507-345-4623
Fax: 507-345-4936
Businesses: Marine Electronics

Might be wrong... and could even be made in China now - for all I know. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I could be wrong too, Charlie. Again, I was basing my buying decision on many reviews of the new Cannon's that I'd read on the internet. The previous generation units were apparently much better, which is why I'm happier with my score of a pair of Mag 20/DT's for $500.00.

This said, I have to admit that I read 'glowing' reviews on-line about the Walker electric's and made my buying decision based on them. Big mistake! IMHO they suck.

From what I'd read about the new Cannon's, it wreaked of another great company taking a previously great product 'off-shore' to increase their margin at the expense of quality. This phenomenon of the last couple of decades - companies pissing on Canadian/US great manufacturing component to build cheap junk overseas - sickens me to no end. What's worse, so many politicians are endorsing it as 'improving trade relations'.

What about the awesome engineering & manufacturing component right here in North America?

I'll happily pay a little more for a higher quality item knowing it'll last longer and help some Canuck or Yank feed his family.

As always, great post Charlie!

Back