Canning Help!

Yak

Hey guys,

Just bought a house, that came with a glass top stove. We have heard that you are not supposed to put your canner on glass top stoves as they can crack under the weight. Just wondering how other people have dealt with this? Anyone using an electric hot plate by any chance or something else?

Thanks for the help.

Yak

I have heard the same..decided not to buy one of those.

I think some people use those camp chef propane stoves outside. The ones you can buy at costco look pretty good.
No fishy smell in the houes either.

I, too have a smooth top stove. We use a coleman propane stove, and it works great, in fact we pressure jar the fish outside, less smell that way. Good luck with your fish and Merry Christmas everyone,...................BB

what kind of canner do you guys have? and where did you get them?

You can get all your canning supplies here. http://www.wellscan.ca/home.php?cat= The American Canners are the best as they have a metal to metal seal. You never have to replace the rubber gasket. They also carry a single burner propane stove, however you can probably buy it for less elsewhere.

If you're not in a hurry you may find one in buy&sell or Kiiji or even a garage sale. I lucked out and bought the model 941 at a garage sale about 5 years ago for $10.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ours are all Presto pressure cookers. We use the large one for canning, read jars, for all our fish. Cans about 16 small jars at a time, 250 ml size. Home hardware has them.

x2 with Large Presto Cooker , bought mine on ebay new for half the price price ,
works great , bought my sealer at wells canning , prefer cans , no worrying about having to get my jars back
my friends are different than most lol , no glass on da boat is always good too ,love my cans..

sfbc helped me with all my info and recipe , very easy , just take ur time , extra attention to all seals , piece o cake,
my recipe is simple , pinch salt , tspn oil , works on all salmon , but sockeye is best , 10-15psi 100 mins

sweet muncher on the boat , try smoking it also , then canning it with a exra tspn of oil , DALISH

Thats it

EZ PZ

fd

I have a 1960s presto one that is BIG.
Holds 24-28 jars 250 mls. It has both a pressure guage and a rocker. Got it on ebay.

Now would probably be a good time to start looking for one. They get pretty expensive on ebay in the fall. With the cost of shipping added on they have to be a pretty good deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lorne if you want to borrow mine just give me a call. I only use it a couple times a year. Will include the propane burner as well if you like, so you can do it out doors.

Forgot the whole point of this thread !

I bought a single burner stove element at Can Tire for $ 20ish , works fine , i also do it outside ,
less than half power required on the rheostat to keep the proper pressure..
just make sure ya have it on hight to start , all the meat in the cans is cool , takes a few minutes ta get her going

a gas burner like FA mentioned is probably even better ,

gd lk

FD

Casmp stove in the garage works well , I put a large canner on one burner and small one for the exrta cans on the second burner. Always seems to more than 1 batch to do. Keeps the odor out of the house and the wifey off the line.

I'm told that using the canner on a glass top stove is pretty hard on the surface so now I use my big propane burner to can fish. Keeps the smell outside to.
Dave

I bought a couple of the single element electric units several years ago, we mostly can Kokanee's. I run 2 of the "Presto" 21qts, 15lbs for 100 minutes!
I also found, that using store bought DISTILLED water makes cleaning the units a lot easier after I'm done, no mineral coating to scrub out.

I have a glass top stove, have canned on it a half dozen times with no problem. Didn't know you weren't supposed to, ooops! Have done it once since, with fingers crossed. I think the single electric element outdoor is the way to go ... for smell too.

I got mine at a garage sale, cheap! Keep an eye on them and thrift stores. You can replace the rubber seal and the pressure valve, pretty much the only moving parts.

I have a glass top stove, have canned on it a half dozen times with no problem. Didn't know you weren't supposed to, ooops! Have done it once since, with fingers crossed. I think the single electric element outdoor is the way to go ... for smell too.

I got mine at a garage sale, cheap! Keep an eye on them and thrift stores. You can replace the rubber seal and the pressure valve, pretty much the only moving parts.

I didn't know either until someone on this site told us. I canned for about 5 years on it with no problem but don't want to take anymore chances at ruining the stovetop. Outside is definitely the way to go.
Dave

Back