Canning at your Campsite

We used to so can at the campsite years ago at China Creek (soxs)
But now Its illegal as u know !
I still have the same canner, sometimes still use propane too LOL

No processing at camp includes smoking aswell

My wife and I have the same pressure canner as that and a large burner for our turkey fryer. When we're canning fish in the summer (at home), we prefer to can outside with the propane burner. No smell or extra heat in the house. One question : Is it relatively inexpensive to use cans vs salmon jars ? We've only ever canned with the various sizes of Mason jars.

Sent from my iPad when I should be fishing.

Not so, its been illegal to can except for place of residence for about 10 years now. If memory serves me it changed about the time barbless hooks became law too.

Not so, its been illegal to can except for place of residence for about 10 years now. If memory serves me it changed about the time barbless hooks became law too.

It's been at least ten years, possibly more if memory serves me right. I remember the days in fish camps when there were pressure cookers going in every camp in the evening.
Dave

At least, remember the old days at Pedder when they were overflowing with visitors ?
canning at the campsites was a common process.
Gotta be 25-30 years now ?

YAEH and the constant SSSSSTTTT SSSSTTTTT SSSSSTTTT of the pressure canner 24 /7 at any given campsite .....

Bingo ! I agree with Profisher, hey spring time why do you thinks its illegal , hope they dont come and get me now and chuck me in the hootchka ! Yikes

YAEH and the constant SSSSSTTTT SSSSTTTTT SSSSSTTTT of the pressure canner 24 /7 at any given campsite .....

I loved that sound but hated it when you were cutting up the salmon and the damn wasps decided your fish was theirs , ouch @*%@* ! a few time LOL

hey spring time why do you thinks its illegal ,

because it says so in the regs page 10, you can only at your ordinary residence

When I fished the Skeena with my friend Jim, he did not want to see any of that s*it at our campsite.

Americans in Airstreamers with generators going all day did a good job depleting the salmon runs in Campbell River, went on for years and they didn't do a thing about it. We saw Americans with potato sacks full of oysters as well and we called DFO and RCMP but they would not come. I guess the tourism money was more important but look at the fishing capital of the world now.

Americans in Airstreamers with generators going all day did a good job depleting the salmon runs in Campbell River, went on for years and they didn't do a thing about it. We saw Americans with potato sacks full of oysters as well and we called DFO and RCMP but they would not come. I guess the tourism money was more important but look at the fishing capital of the world now.

Sadly, the oyster and clam thing still goes on. Not just Americans though!
Dave

I used to drive out to Toquart bay in the early 90's to do creel surveys. Ten miles of barren logging road and then BANG you wind up right in the middle of an RV village, mostly US license plates. People going twice a day and limiting out, canning operations at every camp. I kinda wish I was carrying a badge just to put them on edge. Where the hell DFO was during all that time? If we ran our fishery like the americans do now we wouldn't have had so many problems.

I was watching that show called "Alaska State Troopers' on channel 105 the other night and several other episodes.

One episode they were on the world famous Kenai River at salmon time. I couldn't believe my eyes as to how many people were fishing that river standing side by side.

Apparently infractions of the laws for fishing and hunting are rampant up there, judging by the show.

Sockeye fishing out on the Alaskan chuck was even worse. Makes Alberni Inlet look like the nicest, politest place you could fish. There's plenty of poachers up there.

They only have a handful of troopers and game officers to look after a zillion square miles of land and water.

Back