Canadian Tax Dollars going to good use...fish farm bailouts...

Will have to cut and paste, aqua, Dave had me banned from Rods (moosebreath)

Re: More Problems At Fish Farms
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »
Quote from: aquapaloosa on December 05, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

Re: salmon farm organic certification

This is a company that does and has not used antibiotics for just about 10 years. If disease was such an intense issue how possibly could a company achieve a survival rate higher than 90% over two years of a cycle for each cycle all these years? Interestingly this 90% survival rate is very similar to companies that do use antibiotics. Go figure.

Might want to look at Cohen Exhibit 1527, which describes an undiagnosed disease that has been killing Creative Salmon’s farmed Chinook for 7 years and that was 2011?

Would that really be “all these years”? Creative Salmon has been plagued with what some refer to as Salmon Leukemia disease and the Salmon Leukemia virus (SLv) since the late 1980s. Signs and evidence of SL and SLv are found throughout DFO articles, fish farm records and articles, including Dr Michael Kent. Dr Kent also found the virus and disease could spread from farmed salmon to the wild salmon. Symptoms include brain tumors, jaundice on the bellies and around the eyes, pale gills and livers.

I still contend and is my opinion SLv is nothing more than a mutated ISAv, and the so-called SL disease will be found secondary to ISAv.

This from another board...

Unless something has recently changed, Creative Salmon holds licenses for six fish farms and is owned by five private investors. Its shares are evenly split between three Japanese and two BC owners. Anyone want to call a company three-fifths Japanese and two-fifths BC "locally owned?" That is a matter of interpretation.

Even without any publicized escapements, you still have what is called ”leaching” where some fish just go missing from those open net pens. Their certainly is the possibility of propagation of those genetically inferior salmon with wild Chinook. I would actually take any Atlantic salmon feedlot over any company raising any kind of Pacific salmon in open net pens for that reason alone. Meaning the risk is to great to the genetics of the wild stocks and there should be NO genetically weakened Pacific salmon ever allowed in any “open net pen” – EVER!

HOWEVER, Creative Salmon has another VERY big issue. It is called Norwegian ISAv causing their Chinook to turn jaundice and "DIE"! Think about this for a moment… They only raise Chinook salmon from their own broad stock. Creative Salmon Chinook have already been diagnosed with the Norwegians strain of ISAv! Creative Salmon very well could be actually growing their very own version of the Norwegian ISAvirus; and “may” actually now be passing it down generation to generation through their very own eggs; and “may” be passing that disease to the wild! Kind of explains all those dead jaundice salmon starting to turn up in BC, doesn’t it?

“Dr. Miller said the ISA virus has now been confirmed in numerous wild fish, and in chinook samples provided by Creative Salmon, a fish farm on Vancouver Island.”

“Dr. Miller said her tests found a virus that is 95-per-cent similar to the European strain of ISA, which has infected farmed Atlantic salmon in Norway, Scotland, Atlantic Canada and Chile.”

With “open net pens” they aren’t playing with dynamite - they are playing with nitroglycerin! You might as well go out and find a bottle of nitroglycerin and stick it your trunk, drive around, and wait for it to blow. That is exactly what they are doing with all those open net pens in BC concerning the Pacific salmon. And, it will blow!

So, I must ask… is anyone really okay with any type of salmon “open net pens,” especially on wild salmon migration routes? To include, Creative Salmon growing Chinook salmon that can interbred? And… with already known Creative Salmon has their very own Norwegian ISAv? And disease already killing their own Chinook salmon? And those Chinook swimming around intermingling with your wild BC wild salmon?

Well soxy... that is actually from my post from this board. :):)

I will gladly respond to the following:

From shuswapsteve: said:
As for Dr. Miller's discovery of the ISA virus in Chinook samples provided by Creative Salmon there is more to that story than what you have portrayed.

I din’t try to portray anything other than Creative Salmon has been found to have the Norwegian strain of ISAv (virus) and their Chinook salmon are DIEING from a disease secondary to that “NORWEGIAN” imported ISAv and there certainly is “more to that story”!

First, the Dr. Miller's study of the ISA virus in those fish also found that the prevalence of that virus was the same in healthy fish as it was in sick fish.

Putting that into perspective... the prevalence of HIV in healthy people is the same as people who have AIDS! The interesting thing is people continually fail to distinguish the difference between ISAv (virus) and ISA (disease). Saying that the virus was the same in healthy fish as it was in sick fish, actually means NOTHING!

Look at it this way... everyone with HIV (virus) doesn’t look sick... you have sex with one of those "healthy" looking people and you both end up DEAD! One may die from the Acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) disease. The other may die from complications from other diseases. End result – two healthy looking individuals carrying a virus ends up DEAD!

Second, the results from that study were linked to a data from a licenced veterinarian sampled the fish and a board certified veterinary pathologist that examine sections of organs under a microscope. This way it was obvious to see that the sick fish were sick and the healthy fish were healthy. This suggests that whatever Dr. Miller was finding was not the cause of disease in those Chinook Salmon. (Cohen Exhibit #2078)

This does NOT suggest whatever Dr. Miller was finding was not the cause of disease in those Chinook salmon. Does one really want to suggest [to me] a board certified veterinary pathologist or anyone else examining a section of organs under a microscope can determine a fish has ISAv?

How about if I suggest this... The fact is almost 100% of ALL those “healthy” Atlantic salmon in Norway are presently carrying the Norway strain of the ISAv (virus). Yep – almost 100% of those Norwegians have ISAv! Google is your friend.

Dr. Miller did NOT find the so-called endemic North American strain of ISAv that Norway actually imported into Canada... she found the Norwegian strain imported from NORWAY! Yep... you guys just keep letting your government import those eggs!

Now think about this... relate that almost 100% of NORWAY farmed Atlantic salmon has HIV (oops - ISAv) and AIDS (oops ISA disease). Remembering Rock Hudson actually looked healthy right up until he died! And, Norway is more than willing to share THEIR virus and disease with the ENTIRE world! The only thing I can say is... GOOD FUKK’N LUCK!

To all that believe ISAv is endemic to North America, I will also add this to ponder over (emphasis added):
Abstract
The sequences of gene segments 2 and 8 from 10 different isolates of infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) sampled in Norway, Canada and Scotland between 1987 and 1999 were determined and compared. Pairwise comparisons revealed a high degree of homology between the European isolates, with identities of 98 to 100% for both genes examined. The Canadian isolate showed identities of 84 and 87 to 88% with the European isolates for the nucleotide sequence of segments 2 and 8, respectively. Phylogenetic analyses were performed to establish the interrelationship between the European virus isolates. The evolutionary rate based on 4 Norwegian isolates clustered together in the analysis of segment 2 was calculated to be 0.96 x 10(-3) nucleotides site(-1) yr(-1). On the basis of this mutation rate it was estimated that the Norwegian Glesvaer 90 and Canadian Bay of Fundy 97 isolates diverged around 1900, which coincides with transportation of salmonids between Europe and North America starting in the late nineteenth century.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11253869?dopt=Abstract&holding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn

Attempts to replicate these findings by the CFIA National Reference Laboratory for ISA in Moncton, New Brunswick, were unsuccessful (Cohen Exhibit # 2004).
Only comment here - If one only tests for the North American ISAv strain – they will NEVER find the Norwegian strain!

In addition, all the experts (Dr. Nylund, Dr. Kibenge, Dr. Miller and Ms. Gagne) during the ISA testimony at the Cohen Commission Inquiry were unanimous in declaring that we have no evidence of ISA in BC (Cohen Final Report; Vol. 2, Ch. 4. Pg 80).

That is 100% correct! Yep, all unanimously declared the is no evidence of ISA “DISEASE” “FOUND” in BC. One might want to ask those same experts about finding the ISAv (virus) in BC?

Kind of explains all those dead jaundice salmon starting to turn up in BC, doesn’t it?

Really? In 1999, Dr. Kibenge isolated a strain of ISAV from eastern Canada in farmed Coho Salmon from Chile which did not have clinical signs of ISA (Kibenge et al. 2001). It was shown that the fish had a disease characterized by jaundice which continues to occur in Chile without any evidence of ISAv (Smith et al 2006). This finding supports Dr. Kibenge’s conclusion that his ISAv findings in these farmed Coho “might have been coincidental” (Cohen Exhibit #2086).
Might want to re-check those statements or maybe clarify? Pacific salmon certainly are susceptible to ISAv and known carriers. Adding to that ISA disease has only been detected in Atlantic salmon and other fish around their “open net pens”. Now adding to that NO ONE has studied any diseases secondary to ISAv in any Pacific salmon, so my contention is “jaundice” certainly might be secondary to ISAv?

Both jaundice and ISAv (IMPORTED FROM NORWAY) are ongoing and currently continuing in Chile!

Lastly, from the University of PEI Atlantic Veterinary College website:

“It is important to note that the presence of ISAv sequences in tissue samples does not necessarily mean that the actual disease, ISA, is present in the subject fish or that ISA is present in the area where the fish were collected,” said Dr. Kibenge. “Viral material can be present in animals without them actually having the associated disease. In order to confirm whether an infectious viral disease is present, further testing is required.”

The OIE definition (confirmation) of ISAv infection requires that the virus be successfully grown in cell culture. Thus, the PCR test should be viewed as a highly sensitive screening test that, if positive, is only the first diagnostic step in documenting an ISAv infection, should one exist.

http://avc.upei.ca/dr-fred-kibenge-invited-testify-bc-salmon-inquiry

References:

Kibenge FSB, Garate ON, Johnson G, Arriagada R, Kibenge MJT, Wadowska D (2001 ). Isolation and identification of infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) from Coho salmon in Chile. Dis. Aquat. Org. 45:9-18

Smith PA, Larenas J, Contreras J, Cassigoli J, Venegas C, Rojas ME, Guajardo A, Perez S, Diaz S (2006). Infectious haemolytic anaemia causes jaundice outbreaks in seawater-cultured coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch (Walbaum), in Chile. J. Fish Dis. 29:709-715

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:37:07 PM by shuswapsteve »

Okay... I actually do understand what Dr. Kibenge means and is stating – do you?

“The OIE definition (confirmation) of ISAv infection requires that the virus be successfully grown in cell culture. Thus, the PCR test should be viewed as a highly sensitive screening test that, if positive, is only the first diagnostic step in documenting an ISAv infection, should one exist.”

I also understand that both the government of Canada and I know the “ONLY” ISAv (virus) from “ANY” PCR test ever taken that has been successfully grown in cell culture has came from ISA diseased fish! And, repeatedly getting positive PCR tests for the Norwegian strain of ISAv, very much is valid indication those Norwegian Atlantic feedlots have imported their ISAv to BC, from Norway!

Last edited by a moderator:
I see you guys have been busy.

Here's something that I just came across, it has a great deal of info in it - quite a good compilation actually.

"In the summer of 2013, Marine Harvest Canada – a member company of the BC Salmon Farmers Association (BCSFA) – was invited by 60 Minutes producer Peter Klein to participate in a story about salmon farming in BC. A full day interview on October 10, 2013, was conducted in which many topics of interest were discussed. As a supplement to the interview, BCSFA staff compiled this resource document to provide a summary of topics discussed, and to provide resources for viewers seeking further information and data on current salmon farming practices in British Columbia. This supplementary document was provided to the producers of 60 Minutes on December 5, 2013 for posting onto its website as a resource for viewers and is also posted to the BCSFA website at www.salmonfarmers.org."

http://www.salmonfarmers.org/sites/default/files/cbs_60_minute_backgrounder_salmon_farming_in_bc.pdf

Answer and stop dodging . Why would our government invest in this if open farms are safe? Seems like a lot of cash to do as an experiment? Its weird every time I bring this up this thread goes silent...
Nobody really wants to admit that closed containment might work - it would affect their profit margin. They could get a premium price to help offset some of the additional pumping/electrical costs, but they wouldn't make as much money. That's the simple reason they aren't promoting it. The reason they haven't been using it is because they haven't been forced to. The reason they haven't been forced to is that our regulators and protectors are in bed with industry. That's the reason this topic is so divisive and acrimonious.

Have you seen this CBS report CK?
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/salmon-industry-in-deep-water/
Granted it's old...2009, but maybe you can tell us if ISA is still a problem in Chile???
I see the problem continues...
ISA Strain HPR 7A Detected on Chilean Fish Farm
04 December 2013
CHILE - An outbreak of Infectious Salmon Anaemia (ISA) has been detected on a fish farm in Chile.
The Southern Cross Seafood farm is located at 18B ACS (macrozone 6), in the northern area of Aysen, near Melinka.
The outbreak was detected in a cage in the Arbolito center during routine surveillance.
Of the 362,691 salmon susceptible, 44,518 cases were reported. The affected salmon have now been destroyed.
Sernapesca has implemented restricted movements of fish from the farm and is conducting surveillance inspections on the affected area.
Sernapesca has now identified the ISA variant as HPR 7A.
- See more at: http://www.thefishsite.com/fishnews...ted-on-chilean-fish-farm#sthash.mFL1bkfE.dpuf
I ask you Ck
How long will it be before we have another huge outbreak of ISA in Canada?
AND how long will it be before Slice becomes ineffective in controlling sea lice??
AND how high will you allow toxins in your Farmed Salmon to reach before you admit you have a toxin problem???

Have you seen this CBS report CK?
http://www.cbsnews.com/videos/salmon-industry-in-deep-water/
Granted it's old...2009, but maybe you can tell us if ISA is still a problem in Chile???
I see the problem continues...
ISA Strain HPR 7A Detected on Chilean Fish Farm
04 December 2013
CHILE - An outbreak of Infectious Salmon Anaemia (ISA) has been detected on a fish farm in Chile.
The Southern Cross Seafood farm is located at 18B ACS (macrozone 6), in the northern area of Aysen, near Melinka.
The outbreak was detected in a cage in the Arbolito center during routine surveillance.
Of the 362,691 salmon susceptible, 44,518 cases were reported. The affected salmon have now been destroyed.
Sernapesca has implemented restricted movements of fish from the farm and is conducting surveillance inspections on the affected area.
Sernapesca has now identified the ISA variant as HPR 7A.
- See more at: http://www.thefishsite.com/fishnews...ted-on-chilean-fish-farm#sthash.mFL1bkfE.dpuf
I ask you Ck
How long will it be before we have another huge outbreak of ISA in Canada?
AND how long will it be before Slice becomes ineffective in controlling sea lice??
AND how high will you allow toxins in your Farmed Salmon to reach before you admit you have a toxin problem???

anyone know if Chile is dumb enough to buy out sick fish like Canada does?

Is this still going? LMAO! I see the ClayopunkKid is still trying to **** everyone off. Let it go dude. You know theres absolutely nothing you can say that will justify what you profess.

It is both! The first comment is referring to the ISA the disease, which has never been found in BC.
The second comment is referring to ISAv the virus.

Thank you for clearing this up Charlie, the ISAv and the actual disease. So ISA has never been found in BC, just the virus. And Miller says as much as 25% of sockeye have the ISA virus. So I'll assume that ISAv was never found in BC before the net pens? Somewhere I read that it (ISAv) was imported to BC waters through farmed Atlantic salmon eggs from Europe?
So what version ISAv has Kristi Miller found in BC sockeye, European or our own? Thanks for your time and trying to explain this to a dummy. :)

I see you guys have been busy.

Here's something that I just came across, it has a great deal of info in it - quite a good compilation actually.

"In the summer of 2013, Marine Harvest Canada – a member company of the BC Salmon Farmers Association (BCSFA) – was invited by 60 Minutes producer Peter Klein to participate in a story about salmon farming in BC. A full day interview on October 10, 2013, was conducted in which many topics of interest were discussed. As a supplement to the interview, BCSFA staff compiled this resource document to provide a summary of topics discussed, and to provide resources for viewers seeking further information and data on current salmon farming practices in British Columbia. This supplementary document was provided to the producers of 60 Minutes on December 5, 2013 for posting onto its website as a resource for viewers and is also posted to the BCSFA website at www.salmonfarmers.org."

http://www.salmonfarmers.org/sites/default/files/cbs_60_minute_backgrounder_salmon_farming_in_bc.pdf

Yes indeed CK, we have been busy as there is a large and growing amount of research that shows the harmful impacts of the net pen salmon feedlots industry. You have been ignoring our many requests to stand behind you industry with peer reviewed scientific research that proves your industry doesn't cause negative impacts. To date you have failed to do so!

When will you? Can you? Answer the question please!!!!

"When was the last time you tracked a puff of smoke released into a 5 km/hr wind and after
an hour found that it was still at the smoke stack?"

That's a quote from one of your scientific papers, biased, who would say such a thing and who paid for this science(I use the term loosely)

Just catching up here. Lots to read on these long nights.

CK, thanks for the link to the 60 minutes backgrounder. I started reading through until I got to page 5 and came across this;
"Location and Number of Operating Sites
In BC, approximately 70 farms are in operation at one time and have a very small footprint. All the active farm sites together would fit inside New York’s Central Park.
 Each year, the BC salmon farmers publicly report which sites are active from March to June: http://www.salmonfarmers.org/sites/default/files/all_companies_2007- 12_out_migration_sites.pdf".

I went to the pdf. Nice maps. I counted the number of sites listed next to the maps for each year. One year (2012) had 79 listed. All the rest had over 80. So the count is not "approximately 70", it's approximately 80.

I stopped reading right there because I figured if your team can't even get the count of your operating sites right in a fancy backgrounder to a big outfit like 60 Minutes, why should I think the rest of the info in it would be any more accurate? Just sayin...

Good eye Cuttle
I can just hear them in a meeting 'let's say we have approx (key word) 70 instead of 80 to make it sound like there are fewer farms.
CK was probably there.

Just catching up here. Lots to read on these long nights.

CK, thanks for the link to the 60 minutes backgrounder. I started reading through until I got to page 5 and came across this;
"Location and Number of Operating Sites
In BC, approximately 70 farms are in operation at one time and have a very small footprint. All the active farm sites together would fit inside New York’s Central Park.
 Each year, the BC salmon farmers publicly report which sites are active from March to June: http://www.salmonfarmers.org/sites/default/files/all_companies_2007- 12_out_migration_sites.pdf".

I went to the pdf. Nice maps. I counted the number of sites listed next to the maps for each year. One year (2012) had 79 listed. All the rest had over 80. So the count is not "approximately 70", it's approximately 80.

I stopped reading right there because I figured if your team can't even get the count of your operating sites right in a fancy backgrounder to a big outfit like 60 Minutes, why should I think the rest of the info in it would be any more accurate? Just sayin...

Over 80 sites listed as operational in any given year, yet "approximately 70 are in operation at one time".

'Cause, you know, they are empty at some time during the year before they are stocked or after they are harvested out.

That's fine though, if you don't want to do any of the heavy mental lifting and are looking to find anything you can to rationalize your dismissal of any industry provided information, you can bail out any time you like.

"When was the last time you tracked a puff of smoke released into a 5 km/hr wind and after
an hour found that it was still at the smoke stack?"

That's a quote from one of your scientific papers, biased, who would say such a thing and who paid for this science(I use the term loosely)

That was the final line of the conclusion in the first paper I linked - Did you read the rest?

"The advection and turbulent diffusion of a cohort of sea lice released during some time interval (t) is like a puff of smoke in the wind. A continuous release of larvae is simply a stream of cohorts, each of which develops in a similar manner. When was the last time you tracked a puff of smoke released into a 5 km/hr wind and after an hour found that it was still at the smoke stack?"

They were attempting to explain why,

"These omissions and significant modeling errors, such as assuming that Nauplius II molts to the copepodid stage at a constant rate beginning at the point of hatching and the authors’ procedure of combining molting and 340 mortality followed by convolving the naupliar population on itself to estimate the copepodid population, have led to a model that is seriously flawed and that is, as acknowledged by the authors, “counterintuitive.”"

"They", being:
KENNETH M. BROOKS1 AND DARIO J. STUCCHI2
1Aquatic Environmental Sciences, Port Townsend, Washington, USA 2Institute of Ocean Sciences, Sidney, British Columbia, Canada

Might just be that the paper by Krokosek et al. was so flawed they had to resort to plain language to try and explain just how bad it was?

That was the final line of the conclusion in the first paper I linked - Did you read the rest?

"The advection and turbulent diffusion of a cohort of sea lice released during some time interval (t) is like a puff of smoke in the wind. A continuous release of larvae is simply a stream of cohorts, each of which develops in a similar manner. When was the last time you tracked a puff of smoke released into a 5 km/hr wind and after an hour found that it was still at the smoke stack?"

They were attempting to explain why,

"These omissions and significant modeling errors, such as assuming that Nauplius II molts to the copepodid stage at a constant rate beginning at the point of hatching and the authors’ procedure of combining molting and 340 mortality followed by convolving the naupliar population on itself to estimate the copepodid population, have led to a model that is seriously flawed and that is, as acknowledged by the authors, “counterintuitive.”"

"They", being:
KENNETH M. BROOKS1 AND DARIO J. STUCCHI2
1Aquatic Environmental Sciences, Port Townsend, Washington, USA 2Institute of Ocean Sciences, Sidney, British Columbia, Canada

Might just be that the paper by Krokosek et al. was so flawed they had to resort to plain language to try and explain just how bad it was?
CK why don't you respond to the question I asked about the "facts" that I posted, e.g. how many of Cermaq's Atlantic salmon has ISAv ?

Reviews in Fisheries Science, 14:1–11, 2006
Copyright © Taylor & Francis Inc.
ISSN: 1064-1262 print
DOI: 10.1080/10641260500433531

Fish Farms and Sea Lice Infestations of Wild Juvenile Salmon in the Broughton Archipelago—A Rebuttal to Brooks (2005)
MARTIN KRKOˇSEK,1,2,3 MARK A. LEWIS,1,2
JOHN P. VOLPE,3 AND ALEXANDRA MORTON4
1Center for Mathematical Biology, Department of Mathematical and Statistical
Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2Department of Biological Sciences, University of Alberta, Edmonton,
Alberta, Canada
3School of Environmental Studies, University of Victoria, Victoria,
British Columbia, Canada
4Raincoast Research Society, Simoom Sound, British Columbia, Canada

Contrary to several recent studies, a review (Brooks, 2005) of sea lice (Lepeophtheirus salmonis) interactions between wild and farm salmon in the Broughton Archipelago, British Columbia, Canada, concluded that there is little potential for sea lice transmission from farm to wild salmon. In this rebuttal, we show that this conclusion was based on a flawed interpretation of how salinity affects louse development, a misunderstanding of how the timing of salinity changes corresponds to the timing of the juvenile salmon migration, models of larval dispersion that overestimate the transport of louse larvae, and a selective and misleading assessment of the literature. We analyze and extend the current models of larval dispersion and demonstrate the (perhaps counter-intuitive) result that sustained high abundances of infectious larvae should be expected near liceinfested salmon farms. We also highlight important studies overlooked in Brooks (2005) and clarify some misinterpretations. Counter to the conclusions in Brooks (2005), the modeling and empirical work to date on sea lice interactions between wild and farm salmon are consistent and point to a strong association between salmon farming and recurrent infestations of wild juvenile salmon in the Broughton Archipelago.
Keywords sea lice, aquaculture, salmon, parasite, dispersion, transmission dynamics, reservoir host, emerging disease

Introduction
There can be little doubt that temperature, salinity, and site-specific oceanographic features affect the spread of planktonic larval sea lice (Lepeophtheirus salmonis and Caligus spp.) released from salmon aquaculture installations in the nearshore environment. In a recent review of sea lice interactions between wild and farm salmon in the Broughton Archipelago, British Columbia, Brooks (2005) argues that these effects combine to prevent the transmission of lice from farm salmon to sympatric wild juvenile pink (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) and chum (O. keta) salmon. The conclusions in Brooks (2005) conflict with several empirical studies conducted on the effect of salmon farms on sea lice infestations of wild juvenile salmon in the Broughton Archipelago. These studies clearly demonstrate the transmission of lice from farm salmon to wild juvenile salmon (Morton andWilliams, 2004; Morton et al., 2004; Krkoˇsek et al., 2005a; Morton et al., 2005). Here we attempt to reconcile this discrepancy by assessing the salinity data, larval dispersion models, and arguments used by Brooks (2005) to arrive at his conclusions. We show where Brooks (2005) goes wrong and how the models, data, and literature point to a strong association between salmon farms and recurrent sea lice infestations of juvenile salmon in the Broughton Archipelago.

http://www.adopt-a-fry.org/wp-content/uploads/file/Rebuttal to Brooks.pdf

It's worse than that, Cuttle. Mary-Ellen's PR team included a number of intentional, glaring and obvious omissions and errors in this document, the least of which are: 1/ juvenile Atlantic salmon have been found in many rivers in BC, particularly if steelhead populations are depressed, 2/ farm siting criteria are arbitary and not based in science and no full environmental assessments are done, 3/ farm salmon have elevated levels of PCBs and other contaminents, 4/ about 4.5 lbs of wild forage fish are used to make 1lb of salmon feed, 5/ salmon farms hide their fish health data, 6/ ISA has been found but not confirmed using CFIAs restrictive testing process, 7/ many sea lice have now developed resistance to slice, 8/ reporting of escapees is "voluntary", and 9/ most First Nations oppose open net-pen salmon aquaculture.

It's worse than that, Cuttle. Mary-Ellen's PR team included a number of intentional, glaring and obvious omissions and errors in this document, the least of which are: 1/ juvenile Atlantic salmon have been found in many rivers in BC, particularly if steelhead populations are depressed, 2/ farm siting criteria are arbitary and not based in science and no full environmental assessments are done, 3/ farm salmon have elevated levels of PCBs and other contaminents, 4/ about 4.5 lbs of wild forage fish are used to make 1lb of salmon feed, 5/ salmon farms hide their fish health data, 6/ ISA has been found but not confirmed using CFIAs restrictive testing process, 7/ many sea lice have now developed resistance to slice, 8/ reporting of escapees is "voluntary", and 9/ most First Nations oppose open net-pen salmon aquaculture.

CK to be brutally honest your replies to our questions and challenges here are in a word... lame! You ignore or refuse to reply to the vast majority of what we question you and your industry with, you cherry pick only a few select things to respond to and even then it is done repeatedly with mostly personal observations, opinions and silly little, sarcastic graphics and cartoons (I hate to say it but it is like were dealing with a spoiled, ignorant teenager). So how are we who are truly concerned about the negative impacts the net pen salmon feedlot industry is having on wild fish and the environment supposed to take you and the other net pen supporters on this forum seriously? Time to be a responsible, adult, who with some integrity and thoroughness stands behind your industry and answers each of our specific questions with peer, reviewed, scientific data and facts!

CAN YOU DO THIS? THIS IS MY CHALLENGE TO YOU AND THE OTHER NET PEN INDUSTRY SUPPPORTERS ON THIS FORUM. HAVE SOME INTEGRITY AND ANSWER THESE QUESTIONS AND CHALLENGE DIRECTY AND SPECIFICALLY AND QUIT DODGING THE ISSUES!!!

Back