Canadian Tax Dollars going to good use...fish farm bailouts...

Not right CK. What makes us completely speechless is an unqualified lay person like you assuming an air of superior knowledge and insight and using the weasel words you do to try and cause doubt. The only criticism of the peer reviewed papers that deserves any consideration are those like the one from qualified individuals like Dr. Riddell and co-workers. Your comments are completely absurd, not founded in science, and indeed show a complete lack of understanding of hypothesis testing, modelling and statistics.

OMG!. And what society should have done is evaluate all of the thousands of factors that contribute to human health and life expectancy and understand at the molecular genetic level how cancer arises and spreads, and only then would we be in a position to understand the effect of tobacco smoking!
What a silly argument. Again with a big enough sample size and a proper statistical analysis and enough research producing the same results again and again, it IS possible to prove a direct correlation between tobacco and cancer.
And the same thing has been done with sea lice and several other ecological impacts of salmon feed lots, but PR types like yourself that went to school on Hill and Knowlton just keep applying their obfuscation techniques to deny the science.

There HAS been a decline in wild salmon stocks over the 30 year period of the existence of salmon feed lots. Given the complexity of the ecosystems and wild salmon life cycle no one expects a CONSTANT decline in every situation for every species in every river system. There is of course natural variability as well and that is what you PR types rely upon and use to confuse people. Nevertheless, the statistics are there from published papers from all over the world to show a measureable and repeatable impact caused by sea lice coming from the feed lots on wild salmon. As Dr, Riddell says “There is no debate on that”.

Ah yes of course. An anecdotal observation from you is equivalent to, and outweighs, all of the 33 peer reviewed papers posted by Aqua and the hundreds of other scientific papers out there. Some salmon are there in varying numbers in different catchments and so “everything must be OK”, even though coastwide the 30 year trend is downwards. CK your statements are so absurd they defy description.

Some very good points made here CK. Will you, or more importantly, CAN YOU reply to EACH one, with some data and facts from published, peer reviewed, scientific research? So here is the challenge - can you do this?

How about referring to some of research from the salmonfarmscience site you mentioned in a previous post to reply to these questions? Seems like it is time to fight fire, with fire. Are you up to this challenge?

I challenge you to start to prove us wrong! Will you rise to this challenge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately for opponents of aquaculture, all signs point towards the actual figure being very small given the difficulty people have had to date (using all historical data and statistical tools available) to show a trend between the presence of aquaculture and a consistent decline in wild stocks statistically different to areas without farms.

That is all I am saying, no peer reviewed rebuttals needed IMHO - nature does it for me every fall.

Can you show us your "all signs point towards the actual figure being very small" for Clayoquo Sound.
I would be very interested in your Chinook numbers to back up you statement. Since you and your fellow workers have been active in bringing back wild salmon you should be able to prove the statement. If not are you just blowing smoke.."nature does it for me every fall."

It seems this thread is turning into a debate as to whether or not fish farms are a good thing or a bad thing.
In my opinion, and I believe this should be the opinion of anyone who cares for our beautiful marine environment, open net fish farms should be immediately removed from our waters.
After reviewing the real science no rational person could still believe these things have a place in B.C. or anywhere in the world for that matter.
The only people arguing for fish farms are those receiving financially benefit.
I am tired of seeing our pristine waterways choked by these abominations.
I am sure many on this forum know of Lacey falls in the back of the Broughtons.
This is on of the most beautiful photo opps in the area and some ignorant corporation has put one of their fu#@ing fish farms no more than 100 yards away.
This is just one example of what these greedy, uncaring, arrogant companies are capable of.
The only discussion here should be how we will pressure our politicians end this practice once and for all.

Can you show us your "all signs point towards the actual figure being very small" for Clayoquo Sound.
I would be very interested in your Chinook numbers to back up you statement. Since you and your fellow workers have been active in bringing back wild salmon you should be able to prove the statement. If not are you just blowing smoke.."nature does it for me every fall."

SO CK , we are waiting, show us the data you must have...

In fact, here is a line from one of the papers 'Aqua put up which proves my point quite well:
"The survival of the pink salmon cohort was not statistically different from a reference region without salmon farms."

Except he 'forgot' to include it in his excerpt. :eek:
Yaaa! - this is what one could regard as a start of part of a debate based on the available science. I knew you had the ability to critically read and respond with science-based logic, CK!

Actually I did not forget at all. I picked-out nuggets of impacts that you challenged did not exist in the science debate, over sea lice exchange and magnification to migrating wild salmon stocks. I highlighted those nuggets to illustrate how unsupported you opinion was; but posted the whole abstracts including all reported observations and analysis.

There are of course many other impacts (e.g. benthic, escapees, disease, feed supply, lice treatments, etc) - each with supporting science - but you were specific. You wanted scientific evidence of non model-based field studies showing sea lice impacts to wild stocks from cage-culture activities.

That's why there were only 30 or so peer-reviewed articles I posted. I also deliberately left out thesis work (which is credible science, but lengthy to post and often hard to find/access), and left out the many reports and so-called "grey literature" which has some form of review process, and is credible with respect to numbers and data - but doesn't get as much scrutiny as does the peer-review stuff. Adding all of these reports/articles/thesis together - it'd be 200-300 reports on some aspect of negative wild-cultured stock sea lice interactions. That's just 1 type (although potentially significant) of negative interaction, CK.

As I mentioned - there are a number of other negative or potentially-negative impacts. So all-in-all - there are several hundred peer-reviewed articles that examine some aspect of negative wild/cultured stock interactions.

Add grey literature reports to that - that number will at least double, or even triple (e.g. every regulatory body reports annual sea lice counts, counts of compliance, etc). There are a number of countries and provinces with open net-cage industry that have this type of reporting (e.g. BC, NB, NS, NFLD, Scotland, Ireland, Norway, US, Chile, etc.).

I know you can provide the standard BCFSA responses that attempt to negate the implications of these studies. As long as those arguments are science-based - I have no problem debating them. In fact - that it what all the other posters on this forum have also been asking for, as well.

Do you have a link for this, Charlie? Dave the tax evader is denying it.

“Dr. Miller said the ISA virus has now been confirmed in numerous wild fish, and in chinook samples provided by Creative Salmon, a fish farm on Vancouver Island.”

Never mind Charlie, I let google be my friend. Lots of info. I like the video where Simon Jones is squirming around obviously suppressing Kristi Miller at the Cohen hearing.
ISA found in 64/64 samples of Cultus Sox and he whitewashes it. As well the ISA turning up at Creative Salmon. The rest of the feedlots with the Atlantics refused to be tested. What a sham and coverup!

http://vimeo.com/64972075

“Dr. Miller said the ISA virus has now been confirmed in numerous wild fish, and in chinook samples provided by Creative Salmon, a fish farm on Vancouver Island.”

Never mind Charlie, I let google be my friend. Lots of info. I like the video where Simon Jones is squirming around obviously suppressing Kristi Miller at the Cohen hearing.
ISA found in 64/64 samples of Cultus Sox and he whitewashes it. As well the ISA turning up at Creative Salmon. The rest of the feedlots with the Atlantics refused to be tested. What a sham and coverup!

CK, Birdsnest and other salmon net pen feedlot supporters, can any of you please provide us with a fact based (non-opinion) explanation for DFO's actions, or lack thereof as described in the video in soxy's above post?

What proof can you provide that this isn't an obvious case of blatant incompetence and/or sympathetic cover up for the salmon feedlot industry on the part of DFO?

Please enlighten us!

Summary transcript link
http://www.watershed-watch.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/CohenInquiryHighlightsReport.pdf
The info you are looking for starts on page 60.....

Summary transcript link
http://www.watershed-watch.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/CohenInquiryHighlightsReport.pdf
The info you are looking for starts on page 60.....

Thank you GLG....Reminds me of the Paul Newman movie "The Verdict". Kristi Miller reminds me of the nurse that blew the whistle on the doctors coverup. Any sane thinking person should believe Millers findings.

" Dr. Miller also reported that her lab found 25% of Creative Salmon’s Chinook tested positive for ISAV (page 112, line 39) and that 25% of migrating wild sockeye also tested positive for ISAV."

Some very good points made here CK. Will you, or more importantly, CAN YOU reply to EACH one, with some data and facts from published, peer reviewed, scientific research? So here is the challenge - can you do this?

How about referring to some of research from the salmonfarmscience site you mentioned in a previous post to reply to these questions? Seems like it is time to fight fire, with fire. Are you up to this challenge?

I challenge you to start to prove us wrong! Will you rise to this challenge?

Hello...... still waiting for you to stand in defence of your industry with facts and peer reviewed scientific research to show us how we are wrong......

It's a L-O-N-G wait, WitW!

Attachments

• flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
    flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 302
It's a L-O-N-G wait, WitW!

So are you saying that the Net Pen Salmon Feedlot industry supporters on this forum are quick to criticize the large and growing amount of global, peer reviewed, scientific evidence and also denounce and defame all researchers that are clearly proving harmful impacts on wild fish populations and the surrounding environment? Yet they can't or won't defend their industry with the same quality of research facts and data????

Sounds very hypocritical, negligent, distrustful and lacking in integrity to me! They are acting lack all the other industry hacks and PR spin doctors that we see from other harmful industries. Why does anyone bother to listen to them.

Very cowardly and distrustful if you ask me. My 2 bits

So are you saying that the Net Pen Salmon Feedlot industry supporters on this forum are quick to criticize the large and growing amount of global, peer reviewed, scientific evidence and also denounce and defame all researchers that are clearly proving harmful impacts on wild fish populations and the surrounding environment? Yet they can't or won't defend their industry with the same quality of research facts and data????

Sounds very hypocritical, negligent, distrustful and lacking in integrity to me! They are acting lack all the other industry hacks and PR spin doctors that we see from other harmful industries. Why does anyone bother to listen to them.

Very cowardly and distrustful if you ask me. My 2 bits
I agree. To answer your question: They are protected and promoted by the very department that is supposed to regulate them - DFO. Industry lobbyists, lawyers and PR people have direct, private and confidential access to the decision-makers from the Fisheries Minister down to the Regional Director. The real specific decisions are made in the minor royalty of the Assistant Deputy Minister's office levels, while the overall direction comes from the PMO's office/Privy Council. It's corruption and collusion - plain and simple. It's also very disrespectful to the many thousands of young men and women who gave their lives in WWI and WWII to protect democracy - which has been subverted. Reference the other thread on the War on Science for more details about how they are systematically destroying our safeguards in our democratic processes.

that URL doesn't work for me, Soxy...

Will have to cut and paste, aqua, Dave had me banned from Rods (moosebreath)

Re: More Problems At Fish Farms

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »

Quote from: aquapaloosa on December 05, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

Re: salmon farm organic certification

This is a company that does and has not used antibiotics for just about 10 years. If disease was such an intense issue how possibly could a company achieve a survival rate higher than 90% over two years of a cycle for each cycle all these years? Interestingly this 90% survival rate is very similar to companies that do use antibiotics. Go figure.

This from another board...

Unless something has recently changed, Creative Salmon holds licenses for six fish farms and is owned by five private investors. Its shares are evenly split between three Japanese and two BC owners. Anyone want to call a company three-fifths Japanese and two-fifths BC "locally owned?" That is a matter of interpretation.

Even without any publicized escapements, you still have what is called ”leaching” where some fish just go missing from those open net pens. Their certainly is the possibility of propagation of those genetically inferior salmon with wild Chinook. I would actually take any Atlantic salmon feedlot over any company raising any kind of Pacific salmon in open net pens for that reason alone. Meaning the risk is to great to the genetics of the wild stocks and there should be NO genetically weakened Pacific salmon ever allowed in any “open net pen” – EVER!

HOWEVER, Creative Salmon has another VERY big issue. It is called Norwegian ISAv causing their Chinook to turn jaundice and "DIE"! Think about this for a moment… They only raise Chinook salmon from their own broad stock. Creative Salmon Chinook have already been diagnosed with the Norwegians strain of ISAv! Creative Salmon very well could be actually growing their very own version of the Norwegian ISAvirus; and “may” actually now be passing it down generation to generation through their very own eggs; and “may” be passing that disease to the wild! Kind of explains all those dead jaundice salmon starting to turn up in BC, doesn’t it?

“Dr. Miller said her tests found a virus that is 95-per-cent similar to the European strain of ISA, which has infected farmed Atlantic salmon in Norway, Scotland, Atlantic Canada and Chile.” With “open net pens” they aren’t playing with dynamite - they are playing with nitroglycerin! You might as well go out and find a bottle of nitroglycerin and stick it your trunk, drive around, and wait for it to blow. That is exactly what they are doing with all those open net pens in BC concerning the Pacific salmon. And, it will blow!

So, I must ask… is anyone really okay with any type of salmon “open net pens,” especially on wild salmon migration routes? To include, Creative Salmon growing Chinook salmon that can interbred? And… with already known Creative Salmon has their very own Norwegian ISAv? And disease already killing their own Chinook salmon? And those Chinook swimming around intermingling with your wild BC wild salmon?

Concerning their “organic certification” all one has to do is look at who pushed that “organic certification” through! Ever heard of the “fox in the henhouse”?

Executive Director - Ruth Salmon (fitting last name, isn’t it?)

Board of Directors
Clare Backman, Marine Harvest Canada
Jonathan Barry, Breviro Caviar Inc.
Chris Beattie, Skretting Canada
Shelley King, Aquaculture Association of Canada
Jerry Bidgood, Prince Edward Aqua Farms Ltd.
Cyr Couturier, Newfoundland Aquaculture Industry Association / Marine Institute, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Steve Cross, Kyuquot SEAfoods Ltd.
Linda Duncan, Mussel Industry Council of North America
Terry Ennis, Atlantic Aqua Farms Inc.
Jason Mann, EWOS Canada Ltd.
Ann Worth, PEI Aquaculture Alliance
Nell Halse, Cooke Aquaculture Ltd.
Angela Bishop, Aquaculture Association of Nova Scotia
Stewart Hawthorn, Grieg Seafood BC Ltd.
Pamela Parker, Atlantic Canada Fish Farmers Association
John Rose, Icy Waters Ltd.
Roberta Stevenson, BC Shellfish Grower's Association
Stephen Stewart, Confederation Cove Mussels Ltd.
Karen Tracey, Northern Ontario Aquaculture Association
Fernando Villarroel, Mainstream Canada
Mary Ellen Walling, BC Salmon Farmers Association
Brian Yip, Fanny Bay Oysters

Board of Directors Executive
President - Clare Backman, Marine Harvest Canada
Vice-President - Terry Ennis, Atlantic Aqua Farms Inc.
Treasurer - Cyr Couturier, Marine Institute, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Secretary - Pam Parker, Atlantic Canada Fish Farmers Association

Executive Members-at-large
John Rose, Icy Waters Arctic Charr
Laurie Jensen, Mainstream Canada

From shuswapsteve:

As for Dr. Miller's discovery of the ISA virus in Chinook samples provided by Creative Salmon there is more to that story than what you have portrayed. First, the Dr. Miller's study of the ISA virus in those fish also found that the prevalence of that virus was the same in healthy fish as it was in sick fish. Second, the results from that study were linked to a data from a licenced veterinarian sampled the fish and a board certified veterinary pathologist that examine sections of organs under a microscope. This way it was obvious to see that the sick fish were sick and the healthy fish were healthy. This suggests that whatever Dr. Miller was finding was not the cause of disease in those Chinook Salmon. (Cohen Exhibit #2078)

To add to this:

Attempts to replicate these findings by the CFIA National Reference Laboratory for ISA in Moncton, New Brunswick, were unsuccessful (Cohen Exhibit # 2004). In addition, all the experts (Dr. Nylund, Dr. Kibenge, Dr. Miller and Ms. Gagne) during the ISA testimony at the Cohen Commission Inquiry were unanimous in declaring that we have no evidence of ISA in BC (Cohen Final Report; Vol. 2, Ch. 4. Pg 80).

Kind of explains all those dead jaundice salmon starting to turn up in BC, doesn’t it?

Really? In 1999, Dr. Kibenge isolated a strain of ISAV from eastern Canada in farmed Coho Salmon from Chile which did not have clinical signs of ISA (Kibenge et al. 2001). It was shown that the fish had a disease characterized by jaundice which continues to occur in Chile without any evidence of ISAv (Smith et al 2006). This finding supports Dr. Kibenge’s conclusion that his ISAv findings in these farmed Coho “might have been coincidental” (Cohen Exhibit #2086).

Lastly, from the University of PEI Atlantic Veterinary College website:

“It is important to note that the presence of ISAv sequences in tissue samples does not necessarily mean that the actual disease, ISA, is present in the subject fish or that ISA is present in the area where the fish were collected,” said Dr. Kibenge. “Viral material can be present in animals without them actually having the associated disease. In order to confirm whether an infectious viral disease is present, further testing is required.”

The OIE definition (confirmation) of ISAv infection requires that the virus be successfully grown in cell culture. Thus, the PCR test should be viewed as a highly sensitive screening test that, if positive, is only the first diagnostic step in documenting an ISAv infection, should one exist.

http://avc.upei.ca/dr-fred-kibenge-invited-testify-bc-salmon-inquiry

References:

Kibenge FSB, Garate ON, Johnson G, Arriagada R, Kibenge MJT, Wadowska D (2001 ). Isolation and identification of infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) from Coho salmon in Chile. Dis. Aquat. Org. 45:9-18

Smith PA, Larenas J, Contreras J, Cassigoli J, Venegas C, Rojas ME, Guajardo A, Perez S, Diaz S (2006). Infectious haemolytic anaemia causes jaundice outbreaks in seawater-cultured coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch (Walbaum), in Chile. J. Fish Dis. 29:709-715

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:37:07 PM by shuswapsteve »

Will have to cut and paste, aqua, Dave had me banned from Rods (moosebreath)

Re: More Problems At Fish Farms

« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2013, 11:21:04 AM »

Quote from: aquapaloosa on December 05, 2013, 07:20:09 PM

Re: salmon farm organic certification

This is a company that does and has not used antibiotics for just about 10 years. If disease was such an intense issue how possibly could a company achieve a survival rate higher than 90% over two years of a cycle for each cycle all these years? Interestingly this 90% survival rate is very similar to companies that do use antibiotics. Go figure.

This from another board...

Unless something has recently changed, Creative Salmon holds licenses for six fish farms and is owned by five private investors. Its shares are evenly split between three Japanese and two BC owners. Anyone want to call a company three-fifths Japanese and two-fifths BC "locally owned?" That is a matter of interpretation.

Even without any publicized escapements, you still have what is called ”leaching” where some fish just go missing from those open net pens. Their certainly is the possibility of propagation of those genetically inferior salmon with wild Chinook. I would actually take any Atlantic salmon feedlot over any company raising any kind of Pacific salmon in open net pens for that reason alone. Meaning the risk is to great to the genetics of the wild stocks and there should be NO genetically weakened Pacific salmon ever allowed in any “open net pen” – EVER!

HOWEVER, Creative Salmon has another VERY big issue. It is called Norwegian ISAv causing their Chinook to turn jaundice and "DIE"! Think about this for a moment… They only raise Chinook salmon from their own broad stock. Creative Salmon Chinook have already been diagnosed with the Norwegians strain of ISAv! Creative Salmon very well could be actually growing their very own version of the Norwegian ISAvirus; and “may” actually now be passing it down generation to generation through their very own eggs; and “may” be passing that disease to the wild! Kind of explains all those dead jaundice salmon starting to turn up in BC, doesn’t it?

“Dr. Miller said her tests found a virus that is 95-per-cent similar to the European strain of ISA, which has infected farmed Atlantic salmon in Norway, Scotland, Atlantic Canada and Chile.” With “open net pens” they aren’t playing with dynamite - they are playing with nitroglycerin! You might as well go out and find a bottle of nitroglycerin and stick it your trunk, drive around, and wait for it to blow. That is exactly what they are doing with all those open net pens in BC concerning the Pacific salmon. And, it will blow!

So, I must ask… is anyone really okay with any type of salmon “open net pens,” especially on wild salmon migration routes? To include, Creative Salmon growing Chinook salmon that can interbred? And… with already known Creative Salmon has their very own Norwegian ISAv? And disease already killing their own Chinook salmon? And those Chinook swimming around intermingling with your wild BC wild salmon?

Concerning their “organic certification” all one has to do is look at who pushed that “organic certification” through! Ever heard of the “fox in the henhouse”?

Executive Director - Ruth Salmon (fitting last name, isn’t it?)

Board of Directors
Clare Backman, Marine Harvest Canada
Jonathan Barry, Breviro Caviar Inc.
Chris Beattie, Skretting Canada
Shelley King, Aquaculture Association of Canada
Jerry Bidgood, Prince Edward Aqua Farms Ltd.
Cyr Couturier, Newfoundland Aquaculture Industry Association / Marine Institute, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Steve Cross, Kyuquot SEAfoods Ltd.
Linda Duncan, Mussel Industry Council of North America
Terry Ennis, Atlantic Aqua Farms Inc.
Jason Mann, EWOS Canada Ltd.
Ann Worth, PEI Aquaculture Alliance
Nell Halse, Cooke Aquaculture Ltd.
Angela Bishop, Aquaculture Association of Nova Scotia
Stewart Hawthorn, Grieg Seafood BC Ltd.
Pamela Parker, Atlantic Canada Fish Farmers Association
John Rose, Icy Waters Ltd.
Roberta Stevenson, BC Shellfish Grower's Association
Stephen Stewart, Confederation Cove Mussels Ltd.
Karen Tracey, Northern Ontario Aquaculture Association
Fernando Villarroel, Mainstream Canada
Mary Ellen Walling, BC Salmon Farmers Association
Brian Yip, Fanny Bay Oysters

Board of Directors Executive
President - Clare Backman, Marine Harvest Canada
Vice-President - Terry Ennis, Atlantic Aqua Farms Inc.
Treasurer - Cyr Couturier, Marine Institute, Memorial University of Newfoundland
Secretary - Pam Parker, Atlantic Canada Fish Farmers Association

Executive Members-at-large
John Rose, Icy Waters Arctic Charr
Laurie Jensen, Mainstream Canada

From shuswapsteve:

As for Dr. Miller's discovery of the ISA virus in Chinook samples provided by Creative Salmon there is more to that story than what you have portrayed. First, the Dr. Miller's study of the ISA virus in those fish also found that the prevalence of that virus was the same in healthy fish as it was in sick fish. Second, the results from that study were linked to a data from a licenced veterinarian sampled the fish and a board certified veterinary pathologist that examine sections of organs under a microscope. This way it was obvious to see that the sick fish were sick and the healthy fish were healthy. This suggests that whatever Dr. Miller was finding was not the cause of disease in those Chinook Salmon. (Cohen Exhibit #2078)

To add to this:

Attempts to replicate these findings by the CFIA National Reference Laboratory for ISA in Moncton, New Brunswick, were unsuccessful (Cohen Exhibit # 2004). In addition, all the experts (Dr. Nylund, Dr. Kibenge, Dr. Miller and Ms. Gagne) during the ISA testimony at the Cohen Commission Inquiry were unanimous in declaring that we have no evidence of ISA in BC (Cohen Final Report; Vol. 2, Ch. 4. Pg 80).

Kind of explains all those dead jaundice salmon starting to turn up in BC, doesn’t it?

Really? In 1999, Dr. Kibenge isolated a strain of ISAV from eastern Canada in farmed Coho Salmon from Chile which did not have clinical signs of ISA (Kibenge et al. 2001). It was shown that the fish had a disease characterized by jaundice which continues to occur in Chile without any evidence of ISAv (Smith et al 2006). This finding supports Dr. Kibenge’s conclusion that his ISAv findings in these farmed Coho “might have been coincidental” (Cohen Exhibit #2086).

Lastly, from the University of PEI Atlantic Veterinary College website:

“It is important to note that the presence of ISAv sequences in tissue samples does not necessarily mean that the actual disease, ISA, is present in the subject fish or that ISA is present in the area where the fish were collected,” said Dr. Kibenge. “Viral material can be present in animals without them actually having the associated disease. In order to confirm whether an infectious viral disease is present, further testing is required.”

The OIE definition (confirmation) of ISAv infection requires that the virus be successfully grown in cell culture. Thus, the PCR test should be viewed as a highly sensitive screening test that, if positive, is only the first diagnostic step in documenting an ISAv infection, should one exist.

http://avc.upei.ca/dr-fred-kibenge-invited-testify-bc-salmon-inquiry

References:

Kibenge FSB, Garate ON, Johnson G, Arriagada R, Kibenge MJT, Wadowska D (2001 ). Isolation and identification of infectious salmon anaemia virus (ISAV) from Coho salmon in Chile. Dis. Aquat. Org. 45:9-18

Smith PA, Larenas J, Contreras J, Cassigoli J, Venegas C, Rojas ME, Guajardo A, Perez S, Diaz S (2006). Infectious haemolytic anaemia causes jaundice outbreaks in seawater-cultured coho salmon, Oncorhynchus kisutch (Walbaum), in Chile. J. Fish Dis. 29:709-715

« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 04:37:07 PM by shuswapsteve »

CK, Birdsnest and other Salmon Feedlot supporters will you reply to the concerns and questions posted here? Or have we overwhelmed you all with too many probing questions about the negative impacts on your industry?

AGAIN I challenge you to stand behind your industry with scientific data and facts...... can you????

"In addition, all the experts (Dr. Nylund, Dr. Kibenge, Dr. Miller and Ms. Gagne) during the ISA testimony at the Cohen Commission Inquiry were unanimous in declaring that we have no evidence of ISA in BC (Cohen Final Report; Vol. 2, Ch. 4. Pg 80)."

And yet...

So which is it??

"In addition, all the experts (Dr. Nylund, Dr. Kibenge, Dr. Miller and Ms. Gagne) during the ISA testimony at the Cohen Commission Inquiry were unanimous in declaring that we have no evidence of ISA in BC (Cohen Final Report; Vol. 2, Ch. 4. Pg 80)."

And yet...

So which is it??

It is both! The first comment is referring to the ISA the disease, which has never been found in BC.
The second comment is referring to ISAv the virus.

Back