Canada's weather service on fritz: report

Sushihunter

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/Canada+weather+service+fritz+report/3431114/story.html

Canada's weather service on fritz: report

Years of cuts have left Environment Canada 'on the road to junior partner status'

By Mike De Souza, Postmedia news August 23, 2010

Sustained cuts to Environment Canada weather-service programs have compromised the government's ability to assess climate change and left it with a "profoundly disturbing" quality of information in its data network, says a newly released internal government report.

The stinging assessment, obtained through an access-to-information request, suggests that Canada's climate network infrastructure is getting progressively worse and no longer meets international guidelines.

"Environment Canada is on the road to junior partner status with respect to other agencies, both provincial and international, in the area of climate data gathering, quality control and archiving," said the report, released to the Pembina Institute, an Alberta-based environmental research group.

The analysis -- Degradation in Environment Canada's Climate Network, Quality Control and Data Storage Practices: A Call to Repair the Damage -- noted the lack of data on climate conditions can affect decisions on major infrastructure such as roads, buildings and sewers as well as a number of "real-life" decisions made by Canadians every day.

"The common assumption among users is that the data has been observed accurately, checked for mistakes and stored properly," said the report, printed in June 2008. "It is profoundly disturbing to discover the true state of our climate data network and the data we offer to ourselves and the real world."

Jim Bruce, a climate scientist who previously worked at the World Meteorological Organization, and helped found an intergovernmental panel that assesses the science on global warming, said the budget cuts are preventing the government from making policies based on accurate data and science. For example, measurements of the intensity of rainfall would be essential to track changes in the climate, he explained.

"We aren't sinking the money into climatological networks or even water observations to make the kind of decisions that we need to make for managing greenhouse gases and managing the water of the country," said Bruce.

"Without that data, you're flying by the seat of your pants," Bruce said.

The report said the cuts are part of a trend that began 10 to 15 years earlier when the former Liberal government was trying to eliminate the federal deficit, prompting a shift toward automated stations to replace people in the field. In one case, the report quoted an employee who had observed first hand, as an automated weather station was "fooled" into reporting drizzle on a hot sunny July day in Edmonton with temperatures approaching 30 C.

But a senior Environment Canada meteorologist said the government was trying to focus its resources in order to meet the needs and make a difference in the lives of Canadians.

"If you're asking whether the weather monitoring program is perfect, no it's not perfect," said Dave Wartman, the director of atmospheric monitoring at the Meteorological Service of Canada. "But we're striving to make improvements and we're on the path to do that."

He said that the weather service was in compliance with international standards and guidelines, including those set out by the WMO, and that it was also addressing concerns raised by the auditor general's office about the quality of severe weather warnings. He added that Environment Canada also regularly inspects weather stations to calibrate and maintain equipment as well as monitor changes in its immediate environment, such as the growth of vegetation or new buildings, which could influence the quality of the data.

Environment Canada was not immediately able to provide figures on the meteorological service's budget over the past few years.

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/technology/Canada+weather+service+fritz+report/3431114/story.html#ixzz0xRMlwGzx

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://www.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

jfc_banner-2009-01.jpg

its pretty bad when a guy called big wave dave gives way better and more accurate weather info than environment canada

quote:Originally posted by spring time

its pretty bad when a guy called big wave dave gives way better and more accurate weather info than environment canada

well, he is actually just feeding US data for us....no question they have much better resources thou!

50% failure rate for local marine forecasts ..... sucks........

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

big wave dave is pretty darn consistent and really close to acurate from my experience,

i dont know if any of the guides use him and how acurate they find him. Roy?

some days i am out i think, aww he got it wrong this time, then right when he says it is going to switch it does

all depends where you are really - take Sunday for example, EC I believe called for 15-20 rising to 25 to 35, bwd was 10-15's and then blowing up in the afternoon. bwd was pretty good for Sooke, but if you look at say Race Rocks, it was blowing 20+ early morning...technically, EC was accurate too. Just micro-zones all over the south island that pretty much makes the forecast right somewhere but usually not where we are fishing....EC just needs more locales like bwd to adjust for the variances.

BWD is my bible use it a lot and think it is bang on!!!!for the most part ...Love the web cams funny sent him an e-mail one time to tell him thanks for all the great work and wanted to send him some money explaining i was a charter guy and appreciated all his hard work and never heard back from him????

Oh well what do you do???

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I made a donation via paypal (see Home Page) last year and got a thanks from "Dave". I better donate again this year because I use it every day

Back