battery Switch - reco's on setting up a 2 battery setup

Dave....

Need to set up a new boat and wanted the following:
- nice key lock on the batt switch to give me a little theft prevention,
- separation of house/starting battery for obvious reasons ( downriggers, overnighting )
- ability to charge both batteries to full power ( and not shut down when 1 batt gets full ),
- ability for trolling motor to charge what's needed ( i know its a small charge...but .. )
- safe for new electronics install...

I was recommended to use a Bluesea with ACR but was told by someone that would may limit my charging aspirations.
thought I'd check with this group of experts to consider options and rationale..
thx

Other than the key lock on ignition your describing what the ACR is meant to do.They make a couple of different models to choose from.Google or youtube.

The only “charging limitations” would come from using the wrong acr, you need to choose based on alternator output from your main and size your cabling correctly and there will be no issues. Have not ever seen a key lock on a battery switch, your ignition has a key. You could have a small aluminum box made with a key and install the switch in that but I don’t really see the point. Your battery switch should be easily accessible in case of emergency and to be turned off easily while at the fuel dock simply shutting the motor off is not enough.

Last edited:
Need to set up a new boat and wanted the following:
- nice key lock on the batt switch to give me a little theft prevention,
- separation of house/starting battery for obvious reasons ( downriggers, overnighting )
- ability to charge both batteries to full power ( and not shut down when 1 batt gets full ),
- ability for trolling motor to charge what's needed ( i know its a small charge...but .. )
- safe for new electronics install...

I was recommended to use a Bluesea with ACR but was told by someone that would may limit my charging aspirations.
thought I'd check with this group of experts to consider options and rationale..
thx
I just put one on my boat too. Before I did I emailed Blue Sea with a couple of questions and they got right back to me. They were very helpful.

Here is a detailed technical explanation:

If both your house & starting battery banks are of similar size & same battery chemistry, the Blue Sea ACR is a straight forward install.
It is OK to mix lead acid & AGM battery's but Gel battery's have an oddball charge voltage that shouldn't be mixed. If you have a very large house bank compared to the start bank(amp hour capacity), then follow the Blue Sea special instructions for this case.

Blue Sea makes a locking isolation switch, model 6004. Special key is removable or can be locked with a padlock. Purchase of spare key strongly recommended!

Attachments

• 6004.png
    6004.png
    77.1 KB · Views: 7
Back