Campion 622WA Transom 1997

Pantera

Wondering if anyone has done the transom on a 622WA. I have alloy on the transom to get me through the season but will need to rebuild in the fall. Small open cracks on the top where the motor mounts. Is this a do it yourself or a job for the pro's. Any advise cost etc will be helpful.

I replaced my grady transom, cost was about 1200 bucks and 100 hours of my time, and the loss of 30 million brain cells!

Transom is pretty firm still. I don't think it has been leaking for too long. I like TobyDexter's response.

Wondering if anyone has done the transom on a 622WA. I have alloy on the transom to get me through the season but will need to rebuild in the fall. Small open cracks on the top where the motor mounts. Is this a do it yourself or a job for the pro's. Any advise cost etc will be helpful.

I rebuild a 215 Fishing Machine which is similar to yours. Took about 6 hours to lift the deck off, at that point transom should be easy. However if stringers need work, it's darn hard to get them to match up to where they meet the deck. The deck weighs about 1000 lbs, and needs to come up about 3 feet from the hull. It helps if you have a loader.

Sorry if my response wasnt what you were looking for. I guess im just surprised because I think I had your boat surveyed about 3.5 months ago and the surveyor missed the wet transom. I remember you telling me the boat was "solid" and "had no water in it" and now a few months later I see you asking how to rebuild the transom. Im not gonna point fingers but I sure hope you werent going to knowingly sell me a boat with a rotten transom. Its scary how close I was to buying it. If I have the wrong boat then im sorry but I dont think I do. good luck with the fix.

Same boat Toby. There was no visible cracks when the surveyor was there. That's why I'm asking now. I have caught it early enough i'm hoping it will be a quick fix. I had my mechanic at work here fix it up and seal it so i can wait till the end of the season to rebuild it. Un bolted motor and put a strip of stainless over the top edge of the transom. Different from when you seen it last.

If its just wet and not rotten , some people dry it out and pour penetrating epoxy down it. Takes a long time to dry and you need to have heat and be able to do the repairs. Long vertical holes drilled in transom and cores on the bilge side to intersect, lots of heat and fans till moisture drops then seal vertical holes with wood dowels and epoxy patch the inside. The transom cap is a real weak spot on those boats.

http://www.epoxywoodrestoration.ca/test_1993.php

http://www.epoxywoodrestoration.ca/test_1988.php

Thanks for the tip. It is just wet with no rot. I have my motor off now and the repair is under way.

Back