Campion 188 hard starting?

yo mama

Anybody have one of these with the AQ131 Volvo Penta? This one runs great but starting is a paint in the butt as it comes with a single barrel Solex with no choke on it. Was curious if anybody has found a good mod for these or a upgrade to a different bolt on carb?

Those 4 cyl Volvo's become hard starting when the compression gets marginally low. Hope this is not your prob, but I wouldnt rule it out. Does the accelerator pump appear to work?

A very close friend has one and he was convinced for the longest time that the solex was the problem but turned out to be ignition. Have you done any work on it lately?

No its always sucked cold starting in the winter time. Usually a choke issue. Im just putting in a point free ignition system cap rotor and plugs which should help alot. The compression is solid across the board and it runs like a champ when it is warm just suck when cold. IFL i will check the acc pump sounds like a potential issue for sure.

I had a a AQ 131 in my trophy that was a pain in the butt to start,installed the petronix electronic ignition and matching flame thrower coil and it started as soon as I turned the key every time.Untill my dad filled up my fuel tank with water and the water tank with fuel.

THROW a 4 barrel on it!!!!! LOL LOL
Seriously thhow now that winter is here the best thing be it outboard or in board is to warm up any engine at a fast idle for a few min. then shut it down for a while while you get your gear organized and then re start it as the air is realllllly damp now and it "freezes" up the warmth from the engine heats up everything and then its good to go...

Good luck Wolf

Think i got it figured out. Never take the work of the owner of the boat previous to your self. He had replaces a few of the ignition parts and must of monkeyed around in there. So after replacing the points with a Pentronix and tuned everything up, I noticed that the boat had been waaaay out of timing, I mean like 20 degrees out! So i adjusted the timing and she fires up nice. Will see if that fixes the cold start once it sits for a day but noticeable difference already.

Back