Buying fresh Tuna

Nimo

I'm considering going to the dock today and buying a Tuna directly from a boat. My only experience with Tuna is that which comes from a can. Any ideas on what to look for, how to prepare it (I expect it will be whole and cleaned) and how to cook it? I'm thinking BBQ.

I'll search the net, but ideas are appreciated.

Whatever they're selling won't be fresh just frozen.

If it's still hard 6 hours or so laid out on the kitchen table should do the trick.

Easy to clean and cook just be sure to remove all the dark meat it's inedible and don't over cook it, I like it broiled and still raw in the middle.

A bit clumsy to do in a pan because the loins are more or less triangular be sure to let the fish sit for a few minutes after cooking.

Easy recipes here http://www.canadianalbacoretuna.com/recipes.html

kidphotors6.jpg

I bought a whole one a couple of years ago - around 12lbs as I remember. A lot of fish to eat at one sitting so I sawed it into pieces with a handsaw while still frozen.

Pretty good but I was seriously sick of tuna before it was all gone. Made very good tuna salad for sandwiches.

I get them all the time, a friend of mine commercially fishes them. I find the best thing to do is to pull them out of the freezer, let them thaw to the point where you can push your finger into the side and it leaves an indent of about a quarter inch, it's time to cut them up. If you let them thaw out too much before you cut them, they turn into a big oily mess. (oh ya, I like to wear rubber gloves when I filet them, the oil in them sticks to you like **** to a blanket). [xx(]

First, cut them behind the gill plate, then down the lateral line. Push your fingers into the lateral line cut and peel the meat off the bone from both the back pieces as well as the loins. Afterwards, cut the red part out, don't eat that as mentioned earlier. Next, remove the skin. The skin comes off easy when they are still crystally frozen and you have it into pieces. Just grab one end and tear it off (going with the grain of course, from head to tail).

I like to grill it on the BBQ. I marinade it in Oyster Sauce and grill it. Don't overcook it!!! Blue rare is how I like it.

Albacore tuna has the consistency of halibut, is very white and DAMN tasty. You will amaze your guests that come to your house to eat it, it's FANTASTIC. Everyone's used to eating that brown crap from the cans. This stuff you buy here is incredible, you won't be disappointed and your guests will be amazed.

My method of cooking is simple, there are other recipes out there.

Also, I will mention that when I cut them up and they are paritally frozen and I don't want to eat the whole thing, I have put part of it back in the freezer and it's fine as long as it doesn't thaw too much. Noboody's died, it's all good. [8D]

When I tell my family and friends I'm grilling up a tuna feast, they show up at my house with their mouthes watering. It's good stuff, you won't be sorry, trust me.

What Kildonan said. Plus, if you can your own salmon, tuna is just as easy. Once you try home canned tuna you will never go back to the cat food they sell in the stores. I have got lazy in the past few years and buy it already canned from a neighbor who gets it done at St. jeans, but this year I decided to do my own again. I actually like fresh tuna on the bbq better than salmon, and I love salmon.
T2

No Rigours

OK now you got me droolin' where can I source some out,I'm in the Parksville area.

Hey Klob, if you call the Comox Marina they will tell you if any is being sold at the dock. I have seen some posted in the last couple of weeks..... I bought some vacuum sealed frozen loins last year and the quality was excellent. SS

seaswirlstiper.jpg

I picked one up on the weekend from the government dock in Sooke (first boat on the left "Cold Fish.") Followed the fisherman's instructions for cleaning and a couple tips on here for the BBQ - fantastic! Definitely worth the trip. $2.50 / lb whole frozen, could probably feed 6 adults on a $20 fish. I was surprized how much meat there was. I've gone back and bought two more about 12-15 pounds for later. I'll cut one up as needed for the family and maybe try and impress a few friends with the other:)

I didn't let it thaw quite long enough so it was a bit hard to fillet. I'll be working on the cooking balance between raw and medium. All I can say is "why didn't I try this 20 years ago?"

I'm imagining that they probably keep pretty well as they are frozen at sea completely intact which should reduce freezer burn / dryout.

Thanks again for your input.

hey nimo i worked for john(coldfish) great skipper. the fish we caught was dealt with great care so that the meat quality wouldnt be bruised up. all the fish were bleed once caught and were frozen soon after. he also has great prawns lol

John was quite knowledgable and helpful. What's the drill out there? A day or two out to the middle, trolling like a salmon troller with multiple lines down with multiple hooks per line etc?

I bet that would have been a great experience.

quote:Originally posted by Klob

OK now you got me droolin' where can I source some out,I'm in the Parksville area.
Kim at Seafood4life was taking orders for whole frozen tuna a few weeks ago. He sells crab @ Schooner Cove every Friday as well. 250-468-7144

quote:Originally posted by The Fish Assassin
Tuna 4.50/pnd at bamfield off the boat.

That must be Loins-Steveston price is usually $2.50-$3.00/lb in the round sometimes even less.

kidphotors6.jpg

Don't know, just heard through the grapevine while I was out there, the boat is down by Ostroms or something.

We're canning up a bunch this weekend. We always make sure we flop some on the bbq at the same time, with some frosties to wash it down. Should be good.
T2

No Rigours

Howdy,

Alternatively, you can buy frozen Yellow-fin at Costco.
You get about a half-doz decent sized steaks (boneless & individually shrink-wrapped) for about $12 or 13-bucks if I remember right.

We just brush on olive oil with spices (Mrs. Dash & ground pepper) and toss'em on the barbie for a few (and I mean about three or four min a side so they're still a little pink in the middle) and wham-O... some rice and barbequed zucchini (same olive-oil stuff brushed on) and you're in HOG-HEAVEN man!

In Hawaii, they eat Yellowfin 'raw'; it's called Ahi... (if I spelled that right. Pronounced - Awe-he).

Don not overcook the tuna! Or you'll be chewin' till yer' jaws are sore.

Cheers,
Terry

WOW, looks like I'm off to Costco.. I love blackend AHI:D little soy sauce and wasabi to dip it in and a light roll in sesemee seeds before you cook it blue rare on a hot grill.. oh man, my favorite serving of fish!!! Even better IMO than fresh halibut guys[^]

Back