Buying a fishing license in Sooke

Tips Up

What is with trying to get a fishing license in Sooke!

My wife decided last minute to make her annual apperance on the boat and we needed to pick up a license on Monday AM.

We stopped at 4 gas stations including 1 with a big sign that says "We sell fishing licenses"
- This station had licenses but no salmon stamps.
- Colwood Petro Can no longer sells them (although they sell bait, tackle and always have fishermen gassing up.)
- 2 other stations no luck.

I figured no problem we are getting a late start (9 am) we'll just get it at Sunny Shores. No licenses!! Are they not in the business of servicing fishermen??
Other days that I have launched here including last weekend on a derby day and they are not open until 7 am. I wanted to grab some extra bait but could not.

It used to be that businesses would offer products and services to take care of their clientel and to bring in new business. I know they don't make money off the licenses but it gave you a reason to stop and purchase gas, bait, tackle, food, drinks... Things that they do make money from.

Sorry for the rant. I am in the business of customer service and the lack of it in the world today appalls me.[xx(]:([V]

Tips

Yep 300 licenses/stamps sold Sooke Corner Store in 2 weeks. Eagle Eye had licenses but no stamps. The retailer has to order and pay up front for license order.Lots of money so they try to guesstimate,most time they guess too little. Like the other member said purchase on line. I know this dosent solve the problem but whats a perfect world?

Thanks for the feedback Otter. I did not realize that they had to put out of pocket for the licenses in advance. That would be an issue with most small businesses.

Finaddict... How do you know I have internet access??;) I did not think to get one on line although I know you can. I just figured we would get one along the way or at the launch.
The internet is a part of the problem causing the lack of customer service available in the world today. Although I don't know how we ever got by with out it's benefits and resources.

I have had a few bad run ins with terrible customer service lately. Like Home Depot and automated tills where I have to be my own cashier...but don't get me started on that. LOL!! That is really what my rant is about. (not so much the license)
I guess I am just old school and like to deal with helpful people and support local business with good service.

I am done blowing steam now. This thread would be better placed in the general column. Sorry bout that.

Tips Out.

quote:Finaddict... How do you know I have internet access??;)
My amazing powers of deduction....and of course the previous post:D

I know how you feel about those self check out thingy's at Home Depot. I refuse to use them. Actually I've noticed that there seems to be as many if not more people helping you and trying to explain them to th e customers than there is at the normal check-outs[?]

Und now zat yew haf vented und yew r feelink better, ve can shend yew zee psychiatric bill, yes?:D

i know the petro stopped selling just before it sold to new owners, one reason was they had to have extra staff on or face big line ups while licenses where being filled out, and the few pennys they make off licenses did not cover the cost of selling them or the hassle,
the thing the really ticked me off about the new owners of the petro-can was the new hours, they used to open early for the fishermen but once again cost got into it and the new owner wasnt as big a fisherman as the previous owner, who catered fisherman , not just the saltchuck guys, and his prices were always amongst the best in town, oh well another one lost

quote:Originally posted by Tips Up

Thanks for the feedback Otter. I did not realize that they had to put out of pocket for the licenses in advance. That would be an issue with most small businesses.

Finaddict... How do you know I have internet access??;) I did not think to get one on line although I know you can. I just figured we would get one along the way or at the launch.
The internet is a part of the problem causing the lack of customer service available in the world today. Although I don't know how we ever got by with out it's benefits and resources.

I have had a few bad run ins with terrible customer service lately. Like Home Depot and automated tills where I have to be my own cashier...but don't get me started on that. LOL!! That is really what my rant is about. (not so much the license)
I guess I am just old school and like to deal with helpful people and support local business with good service.

I am done blowing steam now. This thread would be better placed in the general column. Sorry bout that.

Tips Out.

For the most part, those automated checkouts are in place because they can't find staff to work at the normal checkouts. Of course they also reduce overhead, but staffing is usually a factor.

Here in Calgary, it is literally impossible to hire anybody to do anything. All the Safeway stores have put in the auto checkouts because one person can run four checkouts. Even if Safeway wanted to provide amazing customer service, they can't because they can't staff the positions. A friend who works for Safeway said they would hire 900 more staff in Calgary if they could. I don't imagine that Vancouver Island is a lot different?

The problem is they are unrealiable as they sell out quickly just like otter said I am really not wanting to shell out $2800 so I can sell THEIR liscences WTF why would I they want us all to go to the on line thing!!!!!

Personally I like it because then you print it out on a nice big piece of paper and you have lots of room to accually put the date in what a concept LOL

Wolf

Back