Buying a boat in USA.

I brought my 24ft Bayliner up from Florida. I bought the trailer in Vancouver and towed it to Florida where the dealer loaded it for me.
Towed it straight back to the Pacific truck crossing at Blaine. The process is absolutely painless. Just have complete documentation of the sale and a copy of your draft to prove amount paid for the boat.
Pay your pst and gst with your Visa card and your through the process in 15 minutes
There are some pretty good deals down there.

Chris, i would think the $500 deposit weeds out the "lookyloo's"
from the serious buyer. as long as you're dealing with a reputable
dealer, the request seems reasonable.
There must be a U.S. better business bureau that could provide details.
I have also started looking south of the border, are you looking at getting the boat shipped to a border destination or are you considering travel to pick it up and sea trial ?
The part that freaks me out is buying a boat that you haven't
put your hands on.

Scott

Remember some important points about time and money across the line.
Shipping from Florida is approx. $4000-$5000 dollars if you use a shippng company.
Also, time is money so if you run down to get it...your time must be worth something.
If you buy the boat from the west coast...alot cheaper to attain but the prices across the board are a little higher on average than the east coast....
I won't argue that there aren't so screaming deals across the line right now...there always has been but remember that you really need to do your research before you jump on what you think is a awesome buy!

Hi

Bumping this thread forward...

I'm looking for a boat in USA, the dollar just keeps rising!
The info in this thread is incredibly helpful, thanks so much to you all for taking the time to post.

One additional question: how did you handle the insurance on the boat, not just the trailer? Did you somehow quickly arrange coverage? Or just drive north uninsured and hope for the best?

For me, driving an expensive boat on a new-to-me trailer without insurance sounds more than a bit scary....

Any tips?

everthing is right so far I have read here what everyone is saying. But you can bring more than 10,000 down to the USA I did it last april.then only you have to tell them exactley how much you have down to the penny he said it dosn't matter how much as long as you declare it and have a reason. when you come back they cross reference it at the canadian customs I had no problems

It took 4 1/2 days to drive Vancouver to Fort Myers Florida and 6 days to get back.
You buy insurance for the boat before you leave. I used Dolphin Insurance. Since I towed a BC trailer it was already insured. However, if you buy the trailer with the boat you can buy a insurance binder for the trailer from ICBC.
You dont need a broker, just show up at the border with your bills of sale documenting the purchase. The bill of sale should be itemized detailing the options, engines, and any serial numbers you can find.
As an aside..........also just purchased a new auto from a dealer in Portland. Awesome deal and simple to import.

Thanks O-dog

I guess you had no hassles insuring the boat in Canada, when it wasn't here? EG surveys, all that sort of thing?

When I find that perfect deal, I know it'll be a race to get it before someone else does, and I'm betting it will be an intense few days to get it secured and home safe and sound.

But the savings should be worth it....when pulling that first salmon aboard....
[8D]

How many miles were you doing a day?

quote:Originally posted by Oggidog

It took 4 1/2 days to drive Vancouver to Fort Myers Florida and 6 days to get back.
You buy insurance for the boat before you leave. I used Dolphin Insurance. Since I towed a BC trailer it was already insured. However, if you buy the trailer with the boat you can buy a insurance binder for the trailer from ICBC.
You dont need a broker, just show up at the border with your bills of sale documenting the purchase. The bill of sale should be itemized detailing the options, engines, and any serial numbers you can find.
As an aside..........also just purchased a new auto from a dealer in Portland. Awesome deal and simple to import.

Well we did the trip in 2003........and I am having a hard time remembering the exact number of miles we covered. However, I do know we drove 12 hours per day with normal stops for food etc and dinner after we stopped for the evening. Drove from 6 am to 6pm
It actually was a really enjoyable trip. The first day on the way back, pulling a 24 ft 7500lb boat I really took it slow getting used to the new weight. (Our previous boat was 18ft) After the first day it felt really comfortable and we pegged the speed at 60 miles hr and just kept at it.

quote:Originally posted by richmake

I just had My boat delivered across the line to my front door for $2600us...from texas to bc...come on...running down to get it probably isn't worth it.
by the time you take off work and all the expenses...no way!

Was the boat in good shape ?
Did you buy it based on pictures and survey ?
just curious to see how the process worked out for you
[?]

I had a broker locate a boat that I was looking for...after short listing a few and receiving in fo on them all...I flew down to texas and the broker picked me up and we went to survey the vessel and take it for a spin....paid for it...the got a shipper to run it home...simple...most people are just scared and read to much into it...just follow the simple recommendations and you'll be fine...
I can give you the name of a fantastic broker if you'd like...

quote:Originally posted by richmake

I just had My boat delivered across the line to my front door for $2600us...from texas to bc...come on...running down to get it probably isn't worth it.
by the time you take off work and all the expenses...no way!

$2600 sounds good, I always thought it would be more. What is the name of the company who shipped you the boat. E-mail me if you want. brianbanks55@hotmail.com

Back