Buyin a new kicker

You could use a kicker pad to mount it beside your main engine to gain some height. One reason for raising it up a bit it to prevent it from dragging in the water when you are on plane.

Reel Chaos

I found fishing in Sooke and Renfrew that it would end up occasionally under water when we were getting a following sea. Doesn't need to go up a lot 4-5 inches is plenty. If you look at the new 185 Double Eagles you can see that they raised the transom up where the kicker goes. Dan

When I had a 17 Double Eagle SG used the black mounting pad from one of the kicker brackets. (bought separately as a part) It was bolted to the top of the transom and extended up past enough for the outboard clamps to grab it. Simple, looked fine and strong.

I have a 2006 Yamaha T8 that I transferred from an 18.5ft to a 26ft hull. It has plenty of power to troll at 2-3kts at less than half throttle. It's actually taken me home three times now and wide-open will push the boat at about 4.5kts.

The kicker initially on my 26ft was a Johnson 15hp with a regular prop and shorter shaft. It was noisy and because of the shorter shaft, the prop would nearly come out of the water in heavier seas.

This kicker has a tiller arm with the throttle, tilt and starter on the engine itself. I personally like that setup better than fully remote as I can grab the tiller and turn the boat while fighting a fish. I use an EZ-Steer linkage to my IO and it allows you to freely turn the kicker while the IO stays put -- but you can also steer from the helm.

Couple of minor things to keep on top of. First, I had to replace the tiller arm last season. The pivot bushings are a combination of cheap stainless and plastic. It completely seized last season and there was nothing I could do to get it unstuck. These bushings ship dry and despite being stainless, completely rusted away -- so I'd highly recommend loosening the pivot joint and getting some waterproof grease in there.

Also had to repair the trim/tilt switch. Came to the boat one morning and the house battery was dead. Found that the trim switch had gotten corroded, shorted and it activated the trim on the engine until the battery died. Came apart in 5 mins and I was able to clean and lube it with a waterproofing lube.

Engine itself has been bullet-proof.

TenMile
<'((((><

I would do it the way Profisher recommened. I've seen some of those other systems get the crap beat out of them. eg going into Renfrew from Victoria. They really flop around. Good choice on the kicker you'll be really happy with it. Did you buy the electric start/tilt? Dan

SMILEY

Just did this exact thing
bought that bracket from the guy RS posted
real nice guy

its installed and I love it

shoot me an email

Hope this helps I really like this set up just take your time to get it at the right height. I put the boat in the water and taped off 2 water lines for a reference point, one mark with no weight in the boat and one mark/tape line with me hanging over the stern. Keep in mind the extra weight of the new yami they are heavy compared to the ol'2 stroke.

[i
IMG_1232.jpg
mg][/img]

[i
IMG_1228.jpg
mg][/img]

Smiley,

I had the yami 4stroke, high thrust on my 14 1/2 foot hourston and it went at a great trolling speed. I just gave a little throttle and I was trolling at a good 2-3 mph. Hope this helps

No that bracket is not from Duncan this guy did it for me http://www.underwoodwelding.com. I found that I needed quite a bit of angle on the bracket so that when I bolted it on to the transom it sat level so he did some customizing and I'm really happy with it. I had a garelick style bracket before and hated it. The 8hp is great it pushes the boat really well I have never thought that I have needed the high thrust yet, I just wished that it was a few pounds lighter other then that its a great motor.

Is a Yamaha four stroke 6hp enough kicker for my 17 foot Double Eagle (90hp main motor) or should I go with the 8hp? Strange thing is that according to Yamaha web site the motors have identical specs and weigh the same, except the 6 runs at slightly slower RPM. Of course I can save some money with the 6. Any advice would be appreciated.

I have a 17' Malibu Tyee which is basically the same hull as your Double Eagle. I had an 8 hp Evinrude 4 stroke before I switched to the 8HT Yamaha. The Evinrude was ok, but the 8 Yamaha is much better especially when the wind starts blowing and the water gets rougher. When trolling I have never had to use the big motor and only use the 8 HT Yamaha and have no problem controlling the boat. Mind you my two motors are linked and therefore the big motor acts as a rudder. This makes a big difference when trolling into the wind. If in the future you go to a larger boat then I would definitely go for the 8HT Yamaha.

Cheers All,

I have the Yamaha 8 hp HT on my 22' Silver Streak and it never breaks a sweat, either running against the tide or running in 'slop'.

I like that the 8 hp HT has the large gear case (same as the 15 hp) and the same larger prop which gives me everything I could ever want in a kicker.

Most of the time it is running only a notch above idle and has only had one real chore and that's when my main engine 'grenaded' with only 87 hours on it. Ran 15 miles on kicker and it was rather undramatic. After that I changed the engine oil and the gear oil - no indication of any problems after that run - and I was good to go (after I got a new engine).

Seems the 8 hp HD or 9.9 hp HD is the motor of choice.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

I'd echo "fishing guide's" comments and highly recommend the high thrust 8 or 9.9 hp(4 stroke) Yamaha. I run the 9.9ht on my '08 220 Hewescraft(hard top/eext. transom. I've tested it in 20 knot winds with a tide run and felt comfortable that I could keep myself out of trouble. I'd emphasize the fact that the high thrust motors are designed to operate at high rpm for lengthy periods of time... unlike the regular versions of the motors. They were basically designed to be "pushers" for sailboats & auxiliaries for power boats... hence the large props & low gearing etc.
Good luck in your choice.

Back