Brown's Bay

If there was no chum derby, I would not target chum.
I like me a nicely smoked chum, but it is nothing compared to sox lox.

the recent notices that were received indicated how low the returns have been, to the point where some on here had commented on the low numbers, hence my reason for suggesting not being surprised at the closure.

I realize this but it’s not how it’s was managed in the past I don’t recall a closure coming and effecting the derby even in worse chum return years

I realize this but it’s not how it’s was managed in the past I don’t recall a closure coming and effecting the derby even in worse chum return years
Thanks. The notice I refer to was specific for Area 29, Fraser River, when it came out Oct 13th.

I have been going to the chum derby for 12 years. Most with four or five guys on board.
We have done very little impact on the chum numbers, in any one year, or taken cumulatively.

I have never fished a live weigh in derby. Would that be a fit for the chum derby?

More DFO ********. Absolutely no need of this closure on this date. They know who this affects and are literally sticking their middle finger in a few of our faces and calling it conservation.

Maybe we can each shoot a sea lion and be allowed to retain 1 chum. That might actually help the chum returns.

Have been involved with plenty of live release walleye tournaments back in Saskatchewan. There are at least a dozen tourneys yearly there and are all live release.. Fishing boats are either equiped with live wells, to keep fish healthy until measured at dock, then released..or there are several, on water official measure boats that circulate and come to boats, via a raised flag, measure , log and release right on water..

Don't know if this idea is practical for the chum derby but just wanted to point out that live release tourneys are not a new concept..

Have been involved with plenty of live release walleye tournaments back in Saskatchewan. There are at least a dozen tourneys yearly there and are all live release.. Fishing boats are either equiped with live wells, to keep fish healthy until measured at dock, then released..or there are several, on water official measure boats that circulate and come to boats, via a raised flag, measure , log and release right on water..

Don't know if this idea is practical for the chum derby but just wanted to point out that live release tourneys are not a new concept..
Live release while on the water (ocean) is not new in BC. Setting a tournament up from inception knowing you’ll need weigh boats, flags etc is one thing. Making a change to that type of recording catch 3 days before the event would have its challenges. Closed vs non-retention, not sure holding a tournament where the species is either of those would go over well with the regulations.

Good luck to the hard working organizers on whatever they need do to have a successful weekend.

Last edited:
The sturgeon derby im going to this weekend uses an app called FishDonkey. you enter the derby on the app and you have to take pictures or videos of your catch and measurements through the app. you cant just load on other pictures from your phone. It also checks your location to make sure you're within the boundaries. It can work offline so no need for cell reception. you'll just upload your catch once you get back to the dock. could work for you guys.

The biggest issue, as mentioned abovethread, is that DFO have not ever shut down the rec chum fishery, even when returns were forecast to be worse than the current run.
This coupled with their usual last minute announcement leaves little to no time for BB to come up with an effective work around.
Putting on a big show like the Chum Derby is tough enough in a regular year, the last week is just insane with last minute 'updates' and details.

The Gong Show fish patrol will still be in attendance, we might go crabbing on Saturday. Pretty close to chum fishing!!!

We might still be trying to weigh in some crab.
I have caught coho in the chum derby before, but never clipped.

The biggest issue, as mentioned abovethread, is that DFO have not ever shut down the rec chum fishery, even when returns were forecast to be worse than the current run.
Yes they have. Chum was shut down in 2021 for almost the entire south coast, including west coast Van. Island:

Parts of the west coast Van. Island were also closed to chum in 2020:

Back