Brining anchovies

abbyfireguy

I am in the middle of brining about 8 packs of anchovies. I used the salmon University recipe..
One question I have about the brining....
The anchovies are in the brining container in the garage sitting on the concrete floor...The liquid is real cold(its only been 2 hours)...
My garage is very cold the past few days...Do I need to refrigerate the bucket at all,or is the cold garage ok till tomorrow when I will package the brined beauties up.....
I will keep them on ice after I take them out of the brine tomorrow evening..We head for the ferry at 0430 Thursday morning and should be fishing off PillPoint by 1:30 Thursday afternoon...
I hope they will keep well just on ice in a good cooler ...
Should I package them with a bit of salt in each package as well??
Don't know if that helps or is necessary..

Thanks again , you guys are a bountiful source of saltwater info...:D

When they firm up and bellies aren't soft anymore, put them in ziplocs and if kept cold they will last over a week.
A little salt won't hurt but watch for burn marks and if their eyes dissentegrate they are overdone. You can always add more salt later. Try twisting the tail before you send them down for a drill bit roll.

Keep them on ice throughout your travels and fishing. FYI, a saturated solution of salt will not freeze so you can't get them too cold. If you find them a bit soft when you start using them then add more salt, the extra salt will dehydrate them further.

Back