No Anchovies in 2022 Again?

Doug

I saw a post yesterday, where a person is selling 8 and 10 packages of anchovies for $19 a package.
The heading read NO ANCHOVIES THIS YEAR AGAIN???
I checked all the local fishing stores in Victoria and then called around up island and had no luck on finding anyone with anchovies.
Most place now have herring sports bait (12) which look like anchovies. $12.99 a package. I purchased a few package to try out.
I wonder how they will hold up after being brine?

Attachments

• No Anchovies. .jpg
    No Anchovies. .jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 98
  • herring sports bait.jpg
    herring sports bait.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 95
So why no anchovies? Is the fishery not profitable? I see anchovies everywhere in the world for sale for human consumption. Here in Spain we eat them every day. They are a staple in most parts of Europe. We have lots of Anchovis in the Pacific. Pretty sure we see schools of them off the West Coast all the time. Maybe I should look at importing them from the Mediterranean.

Last edited:
Going by the last Anchovies I got, I prefer the small red label herring. Better flash and firmer when brined. Expensive though. Haven't seen any local small herring for sale.

So why no anchovies? Is the fishery not profitable? I see anchovies everywhere in the world for sale for human consumption. Here in Spain we eat them every day. They are a staple in most parts of Europe. We have lots of Anchovis in the Pacific. Pretty sure we see schools of them off the West Coast all the time. Maybe I should look at importing them from the Mediterranean.
A migration change .. moved more south and when they are down the the quality is not good as a troll bait that we require ( warmer water)... So there wasnt the volume in Washington that is required to cover off the sport fishery.. I believe we may see a shift of more moving back up to local waters mid July.

Last year, artificials (spoons and hootchies) out fished anchovies when we were in Rupert. Was quite surprised, but the results didn't lie. We bought 12 packs and have 9 left to try again this year.

Cheers

SS

I'll put bait against anyones spoons in certian times and certian places.. other wise I would agree ;) :D
Bait over anything else except for the odd circumstance has been my experience

EDIT….. I only use bait when we can retain salmon, never when the regs are catch and release only as they can take it deep

Last edited:
Back