Breaking It In

I thought about that too it seems silly that the consumer has to do it. Perhaps it needs to be broken in under load and that’s hard for the manufacturers to do.

Isn't it funny how we have to break an outboard motor in but you buy a new car you take it out on the highway and put the hammer down ? I used know a guy who raced cars and he said the same. If he had to break the motor in he would finish last everytime ?
But you have to re-build a race car motor after like three races!

Isn't it funny how we have to break an outboard motor in but you buy a new car you take it out on the highway and put the hammer down ? I used know a guy who raced cars and he said the same. If he had to break the motor in he would finish last everytime ?
True, but if you hit a truck and plan on towing there is a break in. When I bought mine they said to wait 1500 Kms before towing. A couple trips to Vic fixed that.

I got through the hard part. 3 hrs in now so I can operate normally, just can’t do WOT for more than 5 minutes straight.

When I bought my truck, the sales “consultant” told me that there was no break-in required before I could tow. “Just hook your trailer up and go down to California!”

I looked at the manual and it clearly states no towing before 1,500Km!
and this guy has apparently been working at the same dealership for 40 years....
So much to trust the sales guys and their knowledge of mechanical matters!

I think it’s good. I’ve never had anything to compare it to.

Lots of hole shot.

Cruises at slightly lower RPM than a buddy at same speed.

also same top speed as his but with lower max rpm.

I think it’s good. I’ve never had anything to compare it to.

Lots of hole shot.

Cruises at slightly lower RPM than a buddy at same speed.

also same top speed as his but with lower max rpm.
Are you hitting the books WOT rpm?

Most engineers live in a world of math, frictionless pulleys and weightless cables. Ever wonder why stuff is so difficult to service? A starter in a lifter valley? A $.05 paper gasket between you and a seized engine? To many guys with a ring who have never pulled a wrench.
I’m not an engineer, but those university degrees are tough to get. And, like it or not, its the science and math that gives birth to the technology. without it, there wouldn’t be anything to wrench. There’s a reason that, in many cases, the law requires engineers to sign off on things.

Actually, if people read their manuals they would realize that there IS a break in procedure for their cars engines/trans, as well as breaks. for example Toyota states; Avoid sudden stops for the first 300km, do not tow a trailer for the first 800km, do not drive at high speeds/avoid sudden acceleration/do not drive continuously in low gears/do not drive at constant speed for extended periods for 1000km, as you can see this is very similar to marine engine break in procedures.

so really your commenting on the general ignorance of vehicle owners, not the actual procedures set by the manufactures. ALL engines need to be broken in unless they have ben broken in by the manufactures. RACE engines are a completely different story as they are often ran and dyno'ed before getting sent to the customer, going full bore on a fresh race engine would be a recipe for disaster unless you are talking about top tier engines built to the highest tolerances possible, fully blueprinted and balanced to less than .5 grams, and even those engines are pre run and pre wamed before races.

On my sleds and dirt bikes, I’ve always just started using them the way I am going to use them for the rest of their life. Lots of guys swear by that technique for seating in the rings properly. I’ve never had an issue. The sleds use more oil during their break in cycle which is automated. It reduces the oil consumption after break in and then you get more power. So just pin it all day in the sled world.

on a new outboard, I’d follow the manual because it’s a more expensive toy, and they can pull up your rpm history. I never really have my boat WOT. maybe for a couple minutes racing a buddy but other than that I putt-putt around at 75% throttle to save gas money and not prematurely blow up the motor. It’s safer to blow a dirt bike motor up on land than it is to blow a outboard in the ocean haha.

On my sleds and dirt bikes, I’ve always just started using them the way I am going to use them for the rest of their life. Lots of guys swear by that technique for seating in the rings properly. I’ve never had an issue. The sleds use more oil during their break in cycle which is automated. It reduces the oil consumption after break in and then you get more power. So just pin it all day in the sled world.

on a new outboard, I’d follow the manual because it’s a more expensive toy, and they can pull up your rpm history. I never really have my boat WOT. maybe for a couple minutes racing a buddy but other than that I putt-putt around at 75% throttle to save gas money and not prematurely blow up the motor. It’s safer to blow a dirt bike motor up on land than it is to blow a outboard in the ocean haha.

@cory_lax, you incidentally brought up a good point to discuss; break in will be different on 2 stroke vs 4 stroke, and diesel vs gasoline (both 4 and 2 stroke diesel, yes there are 2 stroke diesels). And also that the mentality on this is limited to only thinking about the simple things like the rings, what about the cam bearings, cam lobes, timing gears, or belts, in some cases supercharger belts, main bearings, con-rod bearings, wrist pins, end seals, transmission gears, transmission seals, valves, valve guides, valve seats, oil pump gears, etc etc. these are all surfaces that need to be bedded or broken in. In fact if you take a set of bevel gears like in your leg and run them at full speed right out of the box you will see significant wear or damage will occur as the machined surfaces actually need to be given time to polish each other, they will generate heat and shearing moments as they interface, that’s why the first leg oil change always comes out with a significant quantity of metallic particles. This happens with every gear based power transmission system and the size of those particles will be dependant on how the gears were broken in. So the complications from improper machinery break-in often goes unnoticed at first or don’t present in a way you would expect. For example, most oil pumps in engines are either a basic 2 gear system, or cycloidal, both are very easily damaged by metallic particles which is why there is a large particle strainer in the sump, but even small particles wear them down quickly resulting in low oil pressure. here is the catch, you went though break in and everything seems fine, but from the start of the engines life you have reduced the capacity of the oil pump and are feeding your engine less oil than intended for the rest of its life, that’s the start of what separates a 3000hr engine from a 6000hr engine. but few people actually keep a motor for that long, it becomes someone else’s problem.

The issue here really is all the people with anecdotal experience and opinions on this are not going out collecting data, taking apart and testing the machinery to see how much wear occurred under what conditions, and measuring everything to within 0.001 tolerance, and doing this tens of thousands of times over decades.

Even motorcyclist magazine laughably preformed a “test” to disprove this, by taking a pair of used cb300f motors, replacing the top ends only and then broke them in with the standard method vs ride hard and fast. Then measured the compression and leak down, and finally concluded it made no difference. Now I don’t have time in the day to break down how ineffectively their “scientific method” was carried out, but I am good with analogies, this is like taking twins to the doctor, one is terminally ill with a brain tumor, the other is fine, and you ask the doctor to tell you which one is going to die by only testing their ability to breath and hold their breath.

And back to my lunch

Back