Breaking It In

I broke in two brand new Yamaha’s over the last two years. A 250 and a 9.9. I Followed Yamaha’s instructions exactly. The motors run perfect.

2000hours and showing no signs of slowing down anytime soon on my Yamaha 115 follow the book as others have said, no need to worry, enjoy the new boat buddy!

Yeah, and I'm a carpenter with 45 years in the trade. Like the mechanic, I have my opinions but when the engineers speak, I shut up and listen. So should your mechanic.
Most engineers live in a world of math, frictionless pulleys and weightless cables. Ever wonder why stuff is so difficult to service? A starter in a lifter valley? A $.05 paper gasket between you and a seized engine? To many guys with a ring who have never pulled a wrench.

Most engineers live in a world of math, frictionless pulleys and weightless cables. Ever wonder why stuff is so difficult to service? A starter in a lifter valley? A $.05 paper gasket between you and a seized engine? To many guys with a ring who have never pulled a wrench.
Marine Engineers are a bit different, no silly ring for us, we actually work for a living and get dirty, we just do it with a crew at our direction. Its one of the only situations where an engineer is doing what the title infers. It takes 4 years of hands on at sea and classwork where you do everything from welding and machining to calculating stability, stress/strain load, buoyancy, electro-tech, chem, mathematics (calculus), physics, engineering -Knowledge, ship construction, materials science, and we rebuild engines from 5hp outboards to 4000hp diesels, take engine room simulator courses, ship flooding course, firefighting, advanced first aid, SVOP, advanced radio course, technical sketching, and the list goes on.

So when you start getting frustrated with a design, it wasn’t the fault of a marine engineer ;)

If you're talking cars and engines, I read Lee Iacocca's book long ago. He said Detroit lost the auto industry to the Japanese when the final design decisions were made in Accounting rather than in Engineering.

Go with what Yamaha says. Not the sales guy. If something goes wrong with your engine (unlikely but possible) and Yamaha says, "ya, but you didn't do this how we told you to" is the sales guy going to pay the bill for what should be warranty repairs? I doubt it.

Go with what Yamaha says. Not the sales guy. If something goes wrong with your engine (unlikely but possible) and Yamaha says, "ya, but you didn't do this how we told you to" is the sales guy going to pay the bill for what should be warranty repairs? I doubt it.
Good Advise but the precedent has been set by the "Salesman telling you" , especially if he directly said not to worry about the written warranty procedures or didn't even mention it. But it would probably cost you as much in legal fees as the engine is worth to argue it in court, if your engine blew ........so ..... Follow this great advise and FOLLOW THE BOOK . Tight lines , my 2 cents

Back