Braided line on Salmon Rods

I run braid on my salmon reels now. I like that it doesn't stretch so that when you are fishing deep, there is no problem seeing bites, clip release, etc. A word of caution: either go with a heavy weight or use a top shot of mono otherwise you will be cursing non stop with it popping the clip. My favorite is 100#, which holds in the clip perfectly. This is certainly overkill, but I also swap the reels over(Peetz) for hali fishing also, so it's a great combo setup.

my $0.02.

I have been using suffix 832 super braid on my mooching reels now for 3 seasons. Love the stuff. You can feel every move, no stretch also helps in hook setting down deep when fishing off shore. Only bad thing is it will cut into the Scotty release clips when a large fish hits hard. To get around that I run 50 feet of florocarbon as a tag line. Join both with the Uni knot. I'm testing the line to see how many seasons of guiding it will withstand before it needs to be changed out. So far 3 years and counting. No way I'm going back to mono.

I run the metered SUFIX every 25 feet is a different colour. On the mooching reelsl it works well because we don't have line counters so you always have a idea of how much line you have out. SUFIX is awesome stuff worth very penny.

I've tried braid on mooching reels, but I find that I have cuts in my fingers after a few days fishing when guiding the line on the reels. How do you overcome this issue?
Stosh

I have been using suffix 832 super braid on my mooching reels now for 3 seasons. Love the stuff. You can feel every move, no stretch also helps in hook setting down deep when fishing off shore. Only bad thing is it will cut into the Scotty release clips when a large fish hits hard. To get around that I run 50 feet of florocarbon as a tag line. Join both with the Uni knot. I'm testing the line to see how many seasons of guiding it will withstand before it needs to be changed out. So far 3 years and counting. No way I'm going back to mono.

Yup.... got 4 years so far.... :)

Only bad thing is it will cut into the Scotty release clips when a large fish hits hard. To get around that I run 50 feet of florocarbon as a tag line.

What do folks do if they run deep most of the year?How much tag end/ bottom shot of mono or florocarbon is feasible without just sticking to mono.

It may be old school, but I like mono on my salmon gear.
I tried running 50lb powerpro with a 40' top shot of mono and it worked
but I found the braid transmits too much when bottom bouncing in the winter.
I like the stretch you get with mono, much more forgiving than braid.

I've tried braid on mooching reels, but I find that I have cuts in my fingers after a few days fishing when guiding the line on the reels. How do you overcome this issue?
Stosh

I place a band-aid on my index and middle fingers. I use 65# power pro, but maybe if I go heavier I wont have that problem of line cutting?.....BB

What do folks do if they run deep most of the year?How much tag end/ bottom shot of mono or florocarbon is feasible without just sticking to mono.

The length of the topshot of mono/floro can be the same no mater if you fish shallow or deep... It's main purpose is for the release clip (given your using a 50-60# braid, if you go up to 100# then apparently it holds in the clip as Andrew P suggests ). The topshot also gives you a little stretch and forgiveness.

So running deep all year, braid would be a great choice as it would be like having a 10# mono equivalent mainline diameter.

Perhaps but craven made a good point if your bottom bouncing it makes sense the no stretch braid will transmit a lot more of the force along the line up to your rod. So instead of subtle bottom bounces your rod might be doing the herky jerky every time you tag the sand.

Is that what you meant RS?

No offense to the guy who is selling the line on craigslist, but it is junk. I have used the china made fake stuff just like he is selling and it lasted less than a year before it started breaking. Also I guarantee that he is just
ordering it off of ebay the same as anyone can do and doubling the price. If you really want to try it here are links to the same thing for less than half of his cost...but I wouldnt touch it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/300M80LB-MOS...231?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item2c746be5af
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/STRONG-SPECT...791?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c37eacfcf

Perhaps but craven made a good point if your bottom bouncing it makes sense the no stretch braid will transmit a lot more of the force along the line up to your rod. So instead of subtle bottom bounces your rod might be doing the herky jerky every time you tag the sand.

Is that what you meant RS?

You got it GDW !

I'm not a fan of braided for salmon. Sounds terrible running through the guides. Better hook set but less forgiving having no stretch.
We use 10ft rods for flex when playing salmon. Flex and stretch is good IMO.

Tips

I guess people have different opinions on what's good and bad. Being able to see even the slightest bite when fishing around 200 feet is a big advantage IMO.

I have had 30 lb Suffix on my reels for 4 years now with no problems. I also run 50-60 ft of 30 lb mono at the top which works as a bit of a shock cord and holds well in the clip. Every so often I replace the mono and find the light bites are easier to detect with braid. WCVI not so critical but ECVI when always fishing 200 plus it makes a difference.

Braid on mooching set ups can be fun on small winter springs, however on big fish it can be hard for neebees to use, even getting the rod out of the rod holder can be a challenge for some. Braid works best on level winds, mono seems best on mooching reels - just my opinion.
Stosh

Back