Boston Whaler Vantage 230

islandergold

I'm considering purchasing a Vantage 230 and wanted to see what others thoughts are on the boat? Usage would be both lake boating (water skiing, tubing with kids, etc) as well as salmon fishing around victoria/renfrew/barkley sound. I like the boat because it's got the open bow and setup of a great lake boat for the kids, but it's a whaler that can hopefully also handle the saltwater chop while fishing. I'd definitely get the vantage 270, but that limits my ability to tow it when I want to get to the lake, or tow it up to tofino for a fishing trip or something. Any thought would be really appreciated.
Thanks!

Open bow and saltwater chop don't really go together. Tug boat waves will go over your bow and soak everything. Maybe it would be alright if you have a cover for the bow when on the ocean.

You are going to hear a lot of people say that the open bow is a problem. They aren't necessarily wrong. All boats have limitations and you have to understand your boat. I was asking a salesmen about a boats seaworthyness once. He said its good, but even the ferries don't run all the time. If you go to Florida you will see a lot of open bow boats. I have ran a bayliner 190 for about 5 years. I loved the boat for the versatility. Lots of room for fishing and playing at the lake. I used it in Vancouver and never really had issues except exiting the river. Those short standing waves. Had a couple come over the bow. Cover didn't help much. Both times I was able to adjust my course and make it out.

The 230 will handle way better than the bayliner. Stay out of tight steep waves and you will be fine.

All that being said I just bought a closed bow Grady...

Look at all the so-called aluminum sport fishing boats with the open bow. That’s a pretty big boat you’re looking at, I think you’d do great in that one. It’s actually a pretty good layout for sport fishing. I would buy something like that too. I saw one in Deep Cove that was a 21 footer and I gave the guy my business card and said if you ever want to sell, please call me.

I've never taken a wave over the bow of my 17 foot boat, but seen lots come over my friend's 27 Lifetimer, which could handle **** conditions easily. Mine cannot so why try? When I fish Tofino or Ukee there are calm water options on big sea days.
It'll be just fine for most days. You'll figure out the limits soon enough.

We have an 20ft open bow trophy and it's been a versatile, family friendly boat. We've owned it for 20+ years and use it predominately for fishing out of Sooke/Victoria but have done many trips with it out of Bamfield and out to the banks. We've also taken it to Shuswap and Skaha lake for tubing and cruising around. It's a great platform for the family as they hang out there when the weather accommodates it and it makes the boat feel roomier.

The best tip I can pass along is to have a canvas cover built for the bow with a center rod. In the event you do take a wave that breaks over your bow the canvas will help divert the water out to the sides. Having a self draining deck is also a great feature to have in your boat. In the years we've owned the boat I can only think of a couple occasions we've had a wave break over the bow. In that event, simply adjust your heading so you aren't going directly into the waves.

Comparatively, center console boats are far more open and they are used commonly offshore.

Good luck in your boat search!

A well designed boat light will bob like a cork when encountering an oncoming wave to a certain point. My open bow 14' Livingston spent many a day on WCVI waters. My friends 17 Whaler was even better at this.
t'll be just fine for most days. You'll figure out the limits soon enough.
Right-on; especially on figuring out the limits. My feeling about my Livingston was that the boat could handle rougher water than I cared to fish in.

Thanks for all the responses. I'm leaning towards going for it. There's always trade-offs with boats and assuming I'm always careful on the saltwater, it sounds like it will pass muster for some fun days with the family fishing.

Back