Boating Etiquette

Brisco, I agree with your second comment to offer assistance instead of being confrontational. Most likely the guy trailering doesn't have a lot of experience and might be very greatful for the help.

I learned a lesson from my wife a few weeks ago. On a flight from the Edmonton airport we parked our rental car at the park and fly. Ticket machine wasn't working and I drove the rental around the exit lane to get in. Well the parking attendant comes running at the car screaming. My reaction is to get out of the car for a all-out brawl. Before I get out of the car my wife rolls down her window and in a very calm voice tells the guy the machine is broken and the gate would not lift. The guy felt terrible and wouldn't stop appologizing. Actually gave us the VIP treatment after that.

I am also one of those guys who gets a little impatient with the slow launchers, and I always try to make sure I am quick to launch to get out of the way of others. There have been two occaisions where in my haste I have forgotten the plug and watched boat slowly get washed from the inside.[:0] The real irony of all that is that when it has happened I have quickly relaunched the trailer down to pick up the boat and drag it back up the launch to put the plug in, wasting even more time and raising the ire of those I was trying to launch fast for in the first place. [V]

many years ago I watched a guy with amid 80's Ford 3/4 ton with a brand new diesel automatic and a 11'camper and 18 foot boat launch at Allouette. He backed down the launch with the camper and boat and put the truck in park, left it running, did not set the emergency brake and got out to take the straps off the back of the boat. At just about the time he got near the stern of the boat, there was a loud snap as the transmission park pin broke and the truck, camper boat and trailer began its painful descent into the fresh water abyss. I'll never forget the sickening sound of the 7.3 litre diesel engine sucking in water and hydraulicing to a stop. The rig eventually stopped when the floatation of the boat and the air in the camper was bouyant enough to prevent the rig from going any further, but at thet poin all you could see was the cab over of the camper and the poor little kitty that was stuck in side the camper up on thebed and not impressed at all with all the water in her home.

eventually the truck camper and boat were towed back out(after the owner went for a swim to attach atow line to the front tow hook. and yes the kitty survived.

Hehe yea that Alouette ramp can be a real mess. Something that really bugs me when I used to go there is the guys that start setting up and loading there boats right in the 1 lane turnaround, not even considering those who are then stuck behind them. Plenty of room up in the parking lot to do that.

You have to take everything in consideration, tho it's hard when you're already in a foul mood. I remember one time waiting, freezing my nuts off on a jetski that I was helping load up for the winter in Ontario. Here is this chuckle-head who can't figure how to load his boat onto a trailer. Too deep, wrong angle, etc. I am getting serious eye cramps from rolling them skyward. My buddy notices (he's just as cold on another jetski) and states, "Sure the guy lives on the lake but he only trailers it once in a year. Once in the water at the beginning, once on the trailer at the end."
So we bailed off and lent a hand.

Another time there was no one around and I lowered my boat into the lake. I drive up to lot and come back to see the damned thing almost sunk with no plug in! I run back and trailer it to get the water out (No bilge in it) and then EVERYONE shows up. Ugh!! But one guy casually mentions, "It's okay man. We've all done it before. It's all good."
So remember, ease up on the obvious cases of inexperience or accident. But if the guy's a total Asshat, let him have it!!!

I am glad I moore my boat.It is bad enough parking just my truck now a days.

cheers

Once your own boat is either on the trailer and parked away from the ramp or tied up in the marina and you find you have time on your hands one of the most entertaining things you can do is get a lawn chair, mix a drink, and watch. Common courtesy says you should do this from some distance away because if you burst out laughing and are overheard the consequences could be quite dramatic. Oh, I know...I have a character flaw.

You know guys, I read this post before I left to go to Toquart Bay.Guess what? This guy is backing down the road to the ramp in a chevy diesel it's pi--ing down rain I can't really make his face out,he takes about 5 runs at the ramp gets it down there,,,, finally now I'm not wearing my glasses so I can't really see him.Now there going to drive the boat on,,, well at least 5 trys and they finally get it on.Up the ramp they come,back towards me,well the guy in the boat bails out and comes running up beside the truck,I can see him he's about 12 years old,and he's banging on the passenger window Grampa,grampa, stop, stop! the window comes down and I see this old guy proably about 80 or so,He sees us all waiting, talks to his grandson for a second,gets out and walks around to the back of the boat the motor was down he dragged it about a 100 or so feet beat the crap out of it.I looked over at my dad,he's getting up there now,"poor old guy he says, just taking his grandson fishing"well I said no big deal,just 10 minutes of our time.I could tell by the old guys body language he's embarrased,don't worry man I said we've all done it.I'm glad I read this before I left.DAN

There are some MEAN guys here! Watching others while they launch or load their boats hoping that something weird will happen! LOL This is my greatest fear as I am new at this. Last week when loading my boat I noticed guys sitting by the docks watching what was happeneing. I was afraid of freezing up but actually did my best job! Only prob was that in my rush to get out of the way I forgot to take off the emergency brake. Noticed it very quickly though. I am just joking about the mean thing though as I think that that might be some fun! Will try that sport.

How many guys load their boats by driving it on? Havent tried that but it sounds easy enough! Tough to do that if on your own!

A few years ago when I bought my current boat I did something sorta odd for a man...I read the manuals for the motor, boat, AND trailer! One thing that jumped out at me was that the trailer manual called the winch strap an 'emergency recovery device' to be used only in case you couldn't use your motor to power onto the trailer! Then I went and got certified in a 2 day, on boat course with a live instructor from the CYA; he also said that the preferred method of trailering a boat was to power it on.
I can't tell you how many times this method has made my life easier...when everyone is lined up to use the ramp with the walkway I can have my partner back the trailer down the ramp that doesn't have a walkway, power on to the trailer, and go! So much safer too!
Roo.

Maybe it is because I learned lauching with jet boats first but I always drive onto my trailer. I now have a 22' boat with an merc leg. I will back the trailer so the top of the wheel fenders are still one inch above the water. Then I line up the boat and trim the leg just a little. I come in at dead slow and when I feel I am lined up and touching the bunks I'll just give it a little juice and you will be snug to the winch roller and straight the first time.

Just two things to remember. 1.) If you trim your leg up too much you will give everyone a bath and not go anywhere (plus it's hard on the drive.) 2.) Give it just enough power to climb onto the trailer so if anything goes wrong you don't end up in the bed of your pick up or on the ground beside the trailer. (I have seen that before.)

Remember we are all newbies at one point and Murpy's law can happen to the best of us.(Murpy's Law.... what can go wrong will go wrong) I myself do get a chuckle from watching people put their boat in and out of the water. I put my boat in the water this year and forgot to put the plugs in...I like to be one of the first boats out in the morning so it was dark when we put the boat in... I pushed it off the trailer then I went and parked my truck.... walked down to the boat and thats when I noticed my tackle box floating.... at first I didn't know what was going on but in about 1 second I knew my mistake.... the look on my buddys face was priceless... he was waiting for me beside the boat but never even noticed the water coming in. I jumped in and as fast as I could I put the plugs in.... th water was almost full to the point of coming in through the control holes on the stern. I jumped back out... looked at my buddy and told him... start bailing and I'll go home and get changed....so instead of being the second boat in the water that morning we were the second to last boat to go fishing. Sh*t happens.... thats life.:D

Back